Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 47

Thread: Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

  1. #31
    Member Reds Fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Piqua, OH
    Posts
    16,528

    Re: Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

    Quote Originally Posted by crazyredfan40 View Post
    I agree he has done nothing to lead me to believe that they won't leave him in Dayton the rest of the year...

    Anyone know how his catching has been lately...I know early he was struggling behind the dish...
    I was at the game last night and the other team was constantly running on him but I really don't put it as much on Mesoraco as I do on the pitchers not holding runners on or their slow delivery to the plate. Like the poster a few above said his footwork getting out of the crouch to throw probably needs to improve some but he does have a strong arm. He threw one runner out last night and the rest of his throws were pretty much on the mark just a little late which is not too bad considering the runners were getting huge jumps off the Dayton pitchers. That is the first time I have seen Mesoraco catch and I did not really see any big problem defensively and I do like his arm strength.

    Offensively he hit a home run to left last night. So he continues to do pretty well at the plate.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,072

    Re: Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

    Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    After 68 ABs his line is now .279/.347/.471. An OPS of .818. And he doesn't turn 20 years old for another couple of weeks. If he keeps this up you have to think he stays in Dayton all year, and if his OPS is around .800 at the end of the season he's going to be easily in the top five of Reds prospect lists.
    If he puts up an .800 OPS in Dayton all year he will be making a legit argument to be the Reds #1/2 prospect.

  4. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    947

    Re: Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

    No way you move him to AA this year... High A at the most. Catchers don't move up the system like other positions. He certainly could work his way into our top 1-4 prospects but he's still a good couple years away if we want to him to CATCH in the MLB

  5. #34
    Member membengal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    8,988

    Re: Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

    If he stays in Dayton all year and has success (OPS around .775 or so), it will have been a VERY positive year for Mesoraco. And the organization.

  6. #35
    Playoffs Cyclone792's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,267

    Re: Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

    Quote Originally Posted by The_jbh View Post
    No way you move him to AA this year... High A at the most. Catchers don't move up the system like other positions. He certainly could work his way into our top 1-4 prospects but he's still a good couple years away if we want to him to CATCH in the MLB
    I leave Mesoraco in Dayton all season. He was a drafted high schooler last rather than an advanced college player ala Frazier. I keep him on the Bruce track for this year - Bruce was in Dayton for the full year 2006 - and then we'll see where he is by the end of the season and early next season.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

    Put an end to the Lost Decade.

  7. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    10,070

    Re: Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

    If he stays in Dayton all year and has success (OPS around .775 or so), it will have been a VERY positive year for Mesoraco. And the organization.
    I agree. Would be a nice lean in the right direction for a draft class that has good potential and a long ways to go.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

  8. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    10,070

    Re: Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

    I leave Mesoraco in Dayton all season.
    Without question. And if he starts to struggle, I'd send him to Billings.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

  9. #38
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    I leave Mesoraco in Dayton all season. He was a drafted high schooler last rather than an advanced college player ala Frazier. I keep him on the Bruce track for this year - Bruce was in Dayton for the full year 2006 - and then we'll see where he is by the end of the season and early next season.
    Agreed.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  10. #39
    Member SMcGavin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,483

    Re: Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If he puts up an .800 OPS in Dayton all year he will be making a legit argument to be the Reds #1/2 prospect.
    Indeed, that would make him easily in the top five.

  11. #40
    Moderator RedlegJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    5,667

    Re: Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

    I think the hold back will be learning the nuances of catching. He definitely should stay in Dayton for the full year just for that reason. I see him easily eclipsing an .800 OPS and sustaining that level.

  12. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,525

    Re: Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If he puts up an .800 OPS in Dayton all year he will be making a legit argument to be the Reds #1/2 prospect.
    The average for Dayton is .695 and the League Average is .685, so that would be good. The only players better than .800 for Dayton right now are Mesoraco (.818), Frazier (1.000), and Waring (.838). Mesoraco has played in half as many games as the starters, though. He's in a platoon at Catcher.

  13. #42
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,072

    Re: Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    The average for Dayton is .695 and the League Average is .685, so that would be good. The only players better than .800 for Dayton right now are Mesoraco (.818), Frazier (1.000), and Waring (.838). Mesoraco has played in half as many games as the starters, though. He's in a platoon at Catcher.
    He plays about 85% of the time, he just didn't start until after May began when he was called up. He doesn't always start at catcher, sometimes he is the DH.

  14. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,525

    Re: Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He plays about 85% of the time, he just didn't start until after May began when he was called up. He doesn't always start at catcher, sometimes he is the DH.

    Yes. In the last 12 Dayton games he's played in 10 of them starting all of them with 9 starts at Catcher and 1 at DH. He's been climbing up the batting order from 6th to 5th and the last 3 games or so, he's been batting 4th. The last time he DH'd was 11 games ago (9 games for him).

    He had a rough day yesterday being hit by a pitch, picked off, and caught stealing. But, he did get on base 2 of 3 times.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-04-2008 at 05:35 AM.

  15. #44
    Member 11larkin11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bellefontaine,OH
    Posts
    2,332

    Re: Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Yes. In the last 12 Dayton games he's played in 10 of them starting all of them with 9 starts at Catcher and 1 at DH. He's been climbing up the batting order from 6th to 5th and the last 3 games or so, he's been batting 4th. The last time he DH'd was 11 games ago (9 games for him).

    He had a rough day yesterday being hit by a pitch, picked off, and caught stealing. But, he did get on base 2 of 3 times.
    Are you just reading a box score? Because most of the time they include a PO as a CS but its actually just one play.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

    ---TRF

    "I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

    --Bronson Arroyo

  16. #45
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,072

    Re: Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

    Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Are you just reading a box score? Because most of the time they include a PO as a CS but its actually just one play.
    Thats what happened. He was picked off and it also went as a caught stealing.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25