Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Minor League System After Bruce

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Re: Reds Minor League System After Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    You forgot the one, the only Juan Duran
    Once he starts shaving or playing, (whichever comes first), he'll get his chance to make the list.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    My current top 10:

1. Bailey
    2. Thompson
    3. Frazier
    4. Stubbs
    5. Mesoraco
    6. Francisco
    7. Wood
    8. Valaika
    9. Strait/Cumberland
    10. Roenicke
    Hate to nitpick but isn't this 11?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Overall, this thread indicates a lot of good prospects, perhaps no "sure things" like Bruce or "almost sure things" like Cueto, but some who are close. A good first pick in early June would bolster the organization even more.
    IMO Frazier is the one getting there fastest. I think he'll be the best player out of everyone left including Bailey.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    We already know about Juan Duran's tools. He's got a chance to be a Jay Bruce type prospect someday if he develops as expected.
    I think you're jumping the gun on this one. As previously mentioned in this thread, Jay Bruce was a once in a decade prospect for this organization. He was a national player of the year nominee in high school, a first round draft pick, and has sense been given several acclaimed awards including best minor league player.

Now, Jaun Duran has yet to step on the field of the GCL, never the less the AAA Futures All Star Game. Yes, he certainly has the physical gifts and potential to someday be a top minor league prospect, but I wouldn't go as far as saying "if he develops as expected" he should be the next Jay Bruce. Especially when "developing" is the hard part for prospects and it's rare for prospects to ever fulfill their potential, never the less a 16 year old who's just stepping into the GCL for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    I think you're jumping the gun on this one. As previously mentioned in this thread, Jay Bruce was a once in a decade prospect for this organization. He was a national player of the year nominee in high school, a first round draft pick, and has sense been given several acclaimed awards including best minor league player.

Now, Jaun Duran has yet to step on the field of the GCL, never the less the AAA Futures All Star Game. Yes, he certainly has the physical gifts and potential to someday be a top minor league prospect, but I wouldn't go as far as saying "if he develops as expected" he should be the next Jay Bruce. Especially when "developing" is the hard part for prospects and it's rare for prospects to ever fulfill their potential, never the less a 16 year old who's just stepping into the GCL for the first time.
    That's why I said he's got a chance. I never said he would be another Jay Bruce. I said he's got a chance to be that type of prospect. His scouting report is amazing. I've never seen anything like it to be honest. I realize there is a good chance he doesn't make it, but just thinking about his potential has to get you excited.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Projection. I really don't see Maloney becoming more than a solid #4 pitcher in the major leagues. Thompson has a much higher ceiling than that, even if they have similar numbers. Maloney wouldn't make my Top 5, even without Bruce.
    Then I am glad you aren't running the Red's ML system, as Maloney is obviously a top 5 talent.

LH SP with his K rate at AAA ARE top 5 talents. He scuffled early, but has rebounded nicely in May. I see him at #4 behind Bailey, Thompson and Frazier.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

1 - Homer Bailey
    2 - Daryl Thompson
    3 - Travis Wood
    4 - Todd Frazier
    5 - Drew Stubbs
    6 - Chris Valaika
    7 - Brandon Waring
    8 - Jordan Smith
    9 - Danny Herrera
    10 - Shaun Cumberland

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

A couple of other guys deserve mention in terms of how this system might be graded at year's end. Evan Hildenbrandt and the recently promoted Phillipe Valiquette. Don't forget the latter is now a 21 year old lefthander at High A who reportedly throws 95. Seems like he's been around forever but he's really only a very young pitcher.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Then I am glad you aren't running the Red's ML system, as Maloney is obviously a top 5 talent.

LH SP with his K rate at AAA ARE top 5 talents. He scuffled early, but has rebounded nicely in May. I see him at #4 behind Bailey, Thompson and Frazier.
    Maloney isn't a top 5 talent 'obviously' because well, I don't think he is. There are several top 10's listed here and he isn't in the top 5 of them and not even in the top 10 of some (although I do guess some just left him out, but maybe not).

I forgot about Maloney. He does deserve to be in the top 10.

My revised top 10/11:

1. Bailey
    2. Thompson
    3. Frazier
    4. Stubbs
    5. Mesoraco
    6. Francisco
    7. Wood
    8. Maloney
    9. Valaika
    10. Strait/Cumberland

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I'm surprised so many people are leaving off Waring, Soto, Maloney, Roenicke, Dorn, Rosales & Lotzkar. I guess I need to look into Strait, Cumberland and Valaika more.

I guess what I'm saying is that the Reds farm system is alive and well. While we don't have top 10 prospects anymore (except for MAYBE Homer...but I'd guess he's falling fast), I think we'll have some come next year.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 05-27-2008 at 03:03 PM.

I would love to include Waring, but he really needs to cut down on his K's.

He's also not dominating low A like he was earlier. Hopefully he comes around. I'd put him right in that 11-15 range, along with Soto and Roenicke.

At 25, Rosales is struggling big time right now in Louisville. His best bet his to mirror the progress of Jeff Keppinger which would mean one or two more years and probably another organization.

It looks like Gil is replacing Bruce in Louisville.

Where's the news on Gil? If it's true and Strait and Cumberland aren't also moving, then that seems to me a real mistake on Walt's part.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    1 - Homer Bailey
    2 - Daryl Thompson
    3 - Travis Wood
    4 - Todd Frazier
    5 - Drew Stubbs
    6 - Chris Valaika
    7 - Brandon Waring
    8 - Jordan Smith
    9 - Danny Herrera
    10 - Shaun Cumberland