Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Reds Minor League System After Bruce

Re: Reds Minor League System After Bruce

I think it's pretty safe to say that while Stubbs hasn't busted out big numbers this year, neither has he busted, as some predicted he would. He remains in a gray area where we still don't have a good sense of what he'll turn out to be. I'm pretty sure as long as he maintains his current level of production he'll be promoted on a yearly basis, whether he's with the Reds or not.

2. Turn Off Ads?

except that LD% rate isn't sustainable, nor is his BABIP. He is contact challenged and power deficient. Having a good walk rate won't help him if he can't hit. He's starting to look a lot like a CF version of Anderson Machado. Feel free to pick apart that comparison, but it kinda fits. Low BA, decent OBP relative to his BA, but not great overall, no power.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I think it's pretty safe to say that while Stubbs hasn't busted out big numbers this year, neither has he busted, as some predicted he would. He remains in a gray area where we still don't have a good sense of what he'll turn out to be. I'm pretty sure as long as he maintains his current level of production he'll be promoted on a yearly basis, whether he's with the Reds or not.
    look at his May numbers. blech.

.195BA .314OBP .276SLG .590OPS

Anyone really think he's going to OPS north of .800 the rest of the year? really?

I'll take the whole sample size, thanks.

What does Todd Frazier's downturn tell you?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I'll take the whole sample size, thanks.

What does Todd Frazier's downturn tell you?
    more and less than Stubbs. Frazier is adjusting to a new league 1 1/2 months into this season. Stubbs is in his 3rd professional season and trends are clearly forming. Contact challenged. No power. good BB rate poor hit rate.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post

Anyone really think he's going to OPS north of .800 the rest of the year? really?
    Did you read Doug's post...What is so hard to understand about it...Guys slump, one month of unlucky hitting does not tell the whole tale...

Patience is a virtue my friend...

And the Machado comparison is way off...His career OPS in the minors was 673...Not quite up there with Stubbs career .782...

Every category, AVG., OBP., SLG, and OPS are above his career averages this year at this point...This too go along with a hitters league and being unlucky and I don't see where all the angst and there not being reason for optimism...

He is also the type that can get you 40 stolen bases a year, so what is going to happen, IMHO...Is pitchers will come to strike zone more often, seeing that he is a high k guy and likes to take walks, with not a great amount of power...This should give him more good pitches to hit...Just due his speed and ability to take a walk...

I still think the big question will be how he does in AA when he is promoted...

re-read my posts. he's had 3 1/2 good months in his professional career. that's it.

re-read my posts. he's had 3 1/2 good months in his professional career. that's it.
    He also played hurt all of last season...Why do you discard that?

Once again there is more to his game than just hitting as well...While he struggled some last year at the plate, he still led the entire league in runs scored...Gotta get on to score runs...He is doing something right...

that's why the comparison to Machado is appropriate. Machado could field well too.

BTW, Stubbs didn't hit in the pioneer league either.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

except that LD% rate isn't sustainable, nor is his BABIP. He is contact challenged and power deficient. Having a good walk rate won't help him if he can't hit. He's starting to look a lot like a CF version of Anderson Machado. Feel free to pick apart that comparison, but it kinda fits. Low BA, decent OBP relative to his BA, but not great overall, no power.
    Why is his LD% not sustainable? I can't begin to go into his BABIP not being sustainable until you tell me the answer to the first question.

that's why the comparison to Machado is appropriate. Machado could field well too.

BTW, Stubbs didn't hit in the pioneer league either.
    Stubbs was playing injured in the PL as well..... *ducks and covers*.

That came straight from the Billings Mustangs GM, who in no way shape or form is affiliated with anything to do with the Reds other than their players play for his team.

Has anyone ever sustained that kind of LD%? By sustained I mean keep it there every month for his entire career. I don't mean it's there for a month then regresses to the mean.

Thats not really true. His May last year was good, then July and August were good last year. That doesn't cover anything this year nor anything in Billings (where I can no longer find his splits, but know he had a month of an .800 OPS there).

Has anyone ever sustained that kind of LD%? By sustained I mean keep it there every month for his entire career. I don't mean it's there for a month then regresses to the mean.
    Well, not that there is more than about 2-3 years worth of data available on minor league line drive rates, but lets just look at a few Reds guys....

Jay Bruce went 16% in Dayton, then 21% in Sarasota, then 22% in Louisville last year. This year he went up to 34% in Louisville.

Joey Votto went 17% in AA to 23% in Louisville to 34% in his Cincy call up to 21% this year so far.

Adam Dunn is generally around 20% in the majors, not sure what he was doing in the minors.

That said, I would say a 20-25% line drive rate is sustainable.

Turn Off Ads?