Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Hatty gone

Hatty gone

From the Reds:

Today the Reds recalled from Class AAA Louisville OF Jay Bruce and designated for assignment 1B Scott Hatteberg.

I guess Patterson is too good to lose

from Rotoworld

The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that the Reds may designate Scott Hatteberg for assignment Tuesday to make room on the roster for Jay Bruce.
    Hatteberg lost his starting job to Joey Votto and has complained about pinch-hitting duties, but he's still among the team's better hitters.
    Last edited by Joseph; 05-27-2008 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Added official word.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

2. Turn Off Ads?

wow!

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I guess Patterson is too good to lose

from Rotoworld
    wow! I would imagine they have been trying to trade him but am suprised no one wants him.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Hatty may be gone?

DFAing Patterson makes it harder to send Bruce down if he tanks or slips behind other OFs for a starting role. DFAing Hatteberg keeps that option on the table. The latter move would indicate Jocketty has more faith in Votto sticking than Bruce.
    /r/reds

Hatteberg doesn't make the team better. Patterson at least helps in the defense and pinch running department.

I actually think keeping Patterson on the roster is the smart GM move. He is a good defensive guy and he has some speed.

However, much the same as with all Reds managers in the recent past, having Patterson on the roster with Baker as the manager means Patterson is going to play, and thats where having Patterson falls apart.

Play him once or twice a week and bat him seventh - good things.

Play him more than that and bat him leadoff or second - very bad things.

Hopefully Bruce rakes and takes option b right out of the equation, even for Dusty (who for all his faults does play young guys when they prove they should play)
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

It's the right move. Hat is probably the least valuable bench guy. Can only play 1b and can't pinch hit. No point in carrying him. Another dumb extension by Wayne. I hope Cast is ready to get out the Heinz 57 sauce to eat another contract.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    However, much the same as with all Reds managers in the recent past, having Patterson on the roster with Baker as the manager means Patterson is going to play, and thats where having Patterson falls apart.
    as we have seen Dusty cannot help himself.

Hatte's contract is also 2 million dollars cheaper to eat than Patterson's.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    It's the right move. Hat is probably the least valuable bench guy. Can only play 1b and can't pinch hit. No point in carrying him.

Unfortunately I think you're right.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Hatte's contract is also 2 million dollars cheaper to eat than Patterson's.
    both are sunk costs as neither has any trade value.

My preference would be to send both packing.

if they are keeping Patterson, I wonder what will happen if Hopper ever returns. What is his status anyway?

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Sadly, the only thing Hatteberg brings to the table at this point is a LH bat who can pinch hit. And while given the small sample of 50 some odd at bats, he hasn't hit. At least Javy can be the third catcher and Patterson can play good defense and run.

It's unfortunate that we couldn't trade him for anything (we still might), but he's the least useful player on the roster right now. As for Scott, I don't think you'll hear him complain about getting a shot to move to a contender.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Hatte is the right person to jettison, but the problem is that Baker will likely continue to run Patterson out there (ineffectively) more than he should.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Out of 691 players eligible, Patterson ranks 665th in VORP (-5.7).

Yes, he is that bad.

Of course, VORP doesn't account for defense. Personally, I would also keep him for his defense and speed off the bench, but I hope he gets VERY limited AB's from here on out.

I too actually agree this is the right move if no player can be traded. He and Valentin are redundant, at least Valentin can catch and is good [occasionally] as a PHer.

As for 'eating' the contract, at this point its not so much eating Hattes money as adding Bruces. This costs the Reds the prorated minimum, not Hattes 1.85 or whatever it is. That money is/was already spent.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Turn Off Ads?