Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Saw Ramon Ramirez pitch last night

Saw Ramon Ramirez pitch last night

I went to see Jay Bruce and obviously he was not playing, but I thought I would post what I saw about Ramirez. He pitched very well as the results would indicate. He kept the ball down most of the night. He threw his fast ball between 88-92. He was mainly 89-91 on the gun for his fastball. He threw a very good changeup that he got a lot of weak off balanced swings on. He had very good arm action on his changeup. It looked like he threw both a curve that was around 78 mph and a slider that was between 83 and 81. I think the official gun here in Columbus is typically considered to be a little slow. This offense without Jay Bruce and even Paul Janish is really going to struggle to score runs and as a result, some the real pitching prospects who have moved up will struggle to get wins. If Maloney pitches thursday, I may go and check him out.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Saw Ramon Ramirez pitch last night

Thanks for the report. The Reds obviously like Ramirez or else they wouldn't have put him on the 40-man roster. if he continues to pitch well we have see him working out of the Reds bullpen sometime this season.

I forgot to mention his windup. He kinda reminds me of Bartolo Colon in his delivery except that he has a slight hesitation. It is not as pronounced as Doug Davis', it happens prior to him coming towards home plate.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Ramirez has hit 96 MPH on the gun in Louisville in the past, so if the gun in Columbus is slow, it wouldn't surprise me. Ramirez is an interesting arm, although I think its limited to the bullpen if he gets to the majors.

A power arm that can touch mid-90s? Potential bullpen help down the road in Cincy?

Yes please.

If Ramirez can be effective in the pen then that's pretty darn valuable, imo.

Turn Off Ads?