Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now that Jay is up..

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

Now that Jay is up..

Who is the best positional player in the system?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Now that Jay is up..

I would go with Todd Frazier.

Yeah, pound for pound ability, Frazier.

Todd Frazier.

I have to agree its Todd Fraizer but I think Chris Valakia has to at least get an honorable mention. He tore the cover after the ball in High A hitting similar to Jay Bruce in AAA. .363 7 HRs OPS of .978 He has been a bit cold in AA but I think he'll turn it around.

I have hope he turns into a Chad Utley type at 2B... mediocore in the field but a hell of a bat. Shift Brandon to SS... then again I still have my hopes that Chris stays at SS

Darkhorse candidate, Shaun Cumberland. 294 average, .396 OBP 7 HRs, .928 OPS... he needs to be talked about a bit more on this board.

I am really liking Stubbs' speed, btw, in Sarasota. I hope they move him up to AA at the break and go ahead and push him a bit. With his glove, I stll think he is a potential answer in a year or so in CF in Cincy...

Stubbs is OPS'ing .800 with GG defense and 17 SB in Sarasota. I've been at the top of the list of doubters, but he's gotta be up there. Hopefully they'll promote him to AA this summer to see if he can't be fast tracked a bit.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I think that playing Frazier in LF is a huge mistake. They should be grooming him as the 3B for 2010. His bat is less likely to play there and if Dunn is resigned they won't need a leftfielder. Of course, that last sentence may explain why they're playing him in LF.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Valaika is slow at adjusting to levels, but once he gets hang of it watch out...
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    I think that playing Frazier in LF is a huge mistake. They should be grooming him as the 3B for 2010. His bat is less likely to play there and if Dunn is resigned they won't need a leftfielder. Of course, that last sentence may explain why they're playing him in LF.
    There is plenty of time between now and 2010 for If Dunn is signed, for him to move back to 3b.

Frazier easily, imo. Valaika next. After them it drops a bit still some nice possibilities in Dorn, Cumberland, Henry, Stubbs, Reed, Waring. Not sure Francisco ever makes the cut - his plate discipline is non existent. Better pitchers will exploit that as he moves up. Mesaraco will join the list if he keeps hitting and his D improves as he goes on.

If you're talking can't miss, though, Frazier is the closest thing -more akin to Votto than Bruce, of course.

Frazier and by any chance does anyone have an extra ticket stub from Bruce's debut game I could have?

I'll go with Mesoraco. He was picked well ahead of Frazier less than a year ago.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

1. Todd Frazier
    2. Drew Stubbs
    3. Devin Mesoraco
    4. Chris Valaika
    5. Neftali Soto

Random thoughts on the organization's hitting prospects:
    The free swinging A-ball 1st basemen are probably my next 2 favorite prospects. I wish Soto was in Dayton this year. Has anyone heard any recent reports on him? Duran probably belongs somewhere in the top five, but I really have no idea what to think about him right now. In terms of hitting prospects, Louisville is pretty much a wasteland at the moment (what’s going on with Rosales). Justin Reed definitely needs to be talked about more. I’m still not buying Tonys Gutierrez as a legitimate prospect. Maybe he’ll contribute a little in the majors for a couple years, but I wouldn’t count on it. I like all of the AA outfielders except Szymanski. I’m sure I’m in the minority, but besides Dorn, I think my favorite is Strait. Carson Kainer has been disappointing this year. Recently, Kel Jones has been moved down to the 9-hitter in Dayton while Jose Castro has been moved down to Sarasota. That can’t be good for their prospect status, especially Castro. Despite 3/4 of the big 4 graduating while the other has had problems with binge drinking on the night before he pitches, this system is still in good shape because of the great depth.

Turn Off Ads?