Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where is Lehr???

Where is Lehr???

Justin Lehr was the scheduled starter for Wednesday's game but did not make the start. Justin Mallett started instead. During the Thursday broadcast the Bats' announcers where doing a little speculating. Justin Lehr did not make the start on Wednesday and is not with the team. Manager Rick Sweet said he could not make any announcement at this time. Bats' announcers did state that Ramon Ramirez would be called up from AA to start for the Bats on Monday. That would be Lehr's next scheduled day to pitch. They said it could be one of four things:1) a call-up to Cincinnati, 2)an injury (unlikely), 3)Lehr could be part of an imminent trade or 4)Justin Lehr could have had some sort of out in contract if not called up to the bigs by a certain date. Stay tuned.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Where is Lehr???

Cueto is being sent down?

As long as the Reds realize there is really no reason to expect Lehr to be successful in the majors. His peripherals are not good.

If they want to make a change with Cueto they should move him to the pen.

BTW, the Bats starter whose peripheral stats profile the best to have success in the majors in Maloney (41Ks in 47IP and only 1 HR).

It sounds like one of those things that might end up being a personal issue, like a problem at home or he just doesn't have it in him anymore to continue in the minors so he retired.

The possibilities are endless

Him or Pettyjohn probably could be cut loose. We have enough AAAA pitchers and I'd be inclined to think Shearn would be the first recalled. I'd like to see what Jukich could do in AAA at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by kheidg- View Post
    Him or Pettyjohn probably could be cut loose. We have enough AAAA pitchers and I'd be inclined to think Shearn would be the first recalled. I'd like to see what Jukich could do in AAA at this point.
    I'd love to see Jukich in Louisville and basically Lehr and Pettyjohn are just roster fillers. Either cut one or send one down to AA and bring up Jukich.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    BTW, the Bats starter whose peripheral stats profile the best to have success in the majors in Maloney (41Ks in 47IP and only 1 HR).
    Indeed. If I was in charge I'd keep riding the Belisle train in the #5 rotation slot, but if injury dictates that someone from AAA has to come up, that guy is Maloney.

Also it's good to hear Ramon Ramirez is coming up to AAA, I was looking at his numbers earlier today and they were excellent both this year and last, including some scoreless innings in AAA at the end of last year. Anyone know why he started out back in AA this season?

Yes, Ramirez is having a very good year. With Ramirez, Jukich, Thompson, Bailey, Pelland, Roenicke, Maloney, Mallett and Hernandez the Reds have some pitching help coming on pretty soon. I'll be glad to finally see some of these arms rather than the same old dross. With all the free agent openings at season's end and these guys pressing upward next year's staff should be much different.

Yes, Ramirez is having a very good year. With Ramirez, Jukich, Thompson, Bailey, Pelland, Roenicke, Maloney, Mallett and Hernandez the Reds have some pitching help coming on pretty soon. I'll be glad to finally see some of these arms rather than the same old dross.
    Burton -- been with the team 1 year
    Lincoln -- new
    Bray -- relatively new
    Cordero -- new
    Cueto -- new
    Volquez -- new
    Affeldt -- new

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Burton -- been with the team 1 year
    Lincoln -- new
    Bray -- relatively new
    Cordero -- new
    Cueto -- new
    Volquez -- new
    Affeldt -- new
    I think he was referring to the same old dross at AAA. Lincoln, Cordero, Volquez and Affeldt never have pitched at AAA. Lincoln probably should have, but considering the options it doesn't much matter. Cueto pitched about 5 total starts there last year and Bray has been back and forth - but primarily has pitched in the majors or been hurt. Burton's only time there was last year during a month long rehab stint.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Yes, Ramirez is having a very good year. With Ramirez, Jukich, Thompson, Bailey, Pelland, Roenicke, Maloney, Mallett and Hernandez the Reds have some pitching help coming on pretty soon. I'll be glad to finally see some of these arms rather than the same old dross. With all the free agent openings at season's end and these guys pressing upward next year's staff should be much different.
    Ramirez has a 4.70 ERA at Chatanooga. He has some decent peripherals, but he has allowed the most HRs on the team. He doesn't have the classic pitcher's size. I don't think he'll be vying for a major league spot any time soon.

Frankly, with Cueto and Volquez in the major leagues, I don't think the group you identified is a particularly compelling group of high minors pitching prospects. Bailey is, but he's not going well right now and doesn't seem close. Roenicke seems back on track after a tough start but hasn't finished AA yet. Pelland and Maloney started pretty poorly this season at AAA. Thompson has done well at AA but has a ways to go.

Maybe some would disagree, but the only young pitcher who seems ready to help at the big league level today is Herrera. And I wish the Reds would call up Herrera now.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-22-2008 at 04:36 PM.

Baseball America magazine has the director of player development saying that Thompson is going up to AAA as soon as there is a spot open. Chattanooga has juggled their rotation. Ramon Ramirez pitched last night when it should have been Lecure and Lecure is pitching tonight. Thompson coudl be going up.
    Quote Originally Posted by kheidg- View Post

Interesting transaction today for the Reds

The Reds have sold the contract of minor league RHP Justin Lehr to the Doosan Bears of the Korean Professional League.

http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog

I'm guessing Lehr had a Memorial Day deadline to be in the big leagues. Just a guess. The Korean team probably agreed to pay him more than any major league team would so he agreed to go. Again, just a guess.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?