Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dunn for Sabathia?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Dunn for Sabathia?

Sabathia may be available, but for a steep price
    By Ken Rosenthal
    Ken Rosenthal has been the senior baseball writer for FOXSports.com since Aug. 2005. He appears weekly on the FSN Baseball Report and MLB on FOX.

Updated: May 28, 2008, 11:18 AM EST

Here's an idea: C.C. Sabathia for Adam Dunn.

The Indians probably wouldn't do it, not even after Fausto Carmona returns in a month to restore their surplus of starting pitching.

But the concept — pitching rental for hitting rental — merits consideration for a Cleveland team that ranks first in the American League in rotation ERA but only 11th in runs per game.

Dunn, Pat Burrell, Bobby Abreu, Mark Teixeira — any of those potential free agents would lift the Indians' sagging offense. Teixeira, the only plus defender, is by far the most appealing. Then again, as badly as the Tribe is going, a little creativity might be required.

Dunn and Burrell would be difficult fits; neither can play right field, and their defensive shortcomings would partly offset their offensive contributions.

Teixeira would not be available unless the Braves were desperate for starting pitching and positioned to deal for a suitable replacement at first base.

Abreu? An interesting thought, considering that the acquisition of Sabathia would give the Yankees exclusive negotiating rights with the pitcher until he reached free agency. But the Indians surely would want more than a fading 34-year-old right fielder for a 28-year-old ace.

Second baseman Robinson Cano, 25, would be more intriguing, but the Yankees can control Cano through 2013 and would not trade him unless they received younger pieces such as left-hander Aaron Laffey and outfielder Ben Francisco in addition to Sabathia. For the Indians, who need young players to balance their payroll, such a deal would be self-defeating.

OK, what about Abreu to satisfy short-term objectives plus one or two of the Yankees' better young pitchers to satisfy long-term needs?

Such possibilities are worth exploring, at the very least.

Trading Sabathia for multiple prospects only would make sense if the Indians fell out of contention, which is unlikely in the surprisingly mediocre AL Central.

But keeping Sabathia, then losing him for draft picks, only would make sense if the Indians looked poised for a World Series run. At the moment, they hardly resemble that kind of a team.

The Indians could almost name their price if they were willing to move Sabathia before the July 31 non-waiver deadline.

Let their due diligence begin.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dunn for Sabathia?

This guy gets paid to write this stuff?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

why would the Reds want to trade for a guy they have no chance of having around next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Sabathia may be available, but for a steep price
    By Ken Rosenthal

Here's an idea: C.C. Sabathia for Adam Dunn.

Dunn and Burrell would be difficult fits; neither can play right field, and their defensive shortcomings would partly offset their offensive contributions.

Roses are red, violets are blue. I'm schizophrenic and so am I.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    why would the Reds want to trade for a guy they have no chance of having around next year?
    Exactly. Keep Dunn and lock him up to a four year deal.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Because it's important that the Reds don't try to impede the progress of the true contenders. It only matters that the trade is good for the other team.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Because it's important that the Reds don't try to impede the progress of the true contenders. It only matters that the trade is good for the other team.
    silly me ... wondering what was in it for the Reds. I shall until forgiven

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    This guy gets paid to write this stuff?
    The point is, how do I get paid to write this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Exactly. Keep Dunn and lock him up to a four year deal.
    Would Sabathia stay in Cincy for 4 years at 16 or 17 mill a year? Does anybody think he wouldn't?

If the Reds were in need of starting pitching and had a lot of offense to spare, this might make sense.

Unfortunately, our run production and prevention are similarly below average. Shifting the balance doesn't really accomplish anything.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    If the Reds were in need of starting pitching and had a lot of offense to spare, this might make sense.
    and it would only make sense if the deal was one to cement them as a playoff team ... nothing could be further from the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    Would Sabathia stay in Cincy for 4 years at 16 or 17 mill a year? Does anybody think he wouldn't?
    No. He reportedly wants to play on the west coast.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    No. He reportedly wants to play on the west coast.
    He'll be in the Bronx unless he doesn't like money.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Only if he would be willing to sign a contract extention to stay.... which I doubt he would.

CC's going to want a contract longer than the one I'd want to give him.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?