Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kearns and Lopez

Kearns and Lopez

Just happened to notice Kearns is hitting below .200 and Lopez is at .243 and they have 4 homeruns between them. Can't wait to see Thompson. Thank you Wayne!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Kearns and Lopez

Who knows whether Wayne viewed that trade as dumping Kearns and Lopez who were undeserving of the huge raises they were about to get? Somehow I find that a little unlikely, I think he thought he was giving value to get value. But, as it turned out, we were better off making the trade simply because it allowed us to move bad players and not have to pay their salary.

Anyone ever heard of the saying "it'll all even out in the end?"

as it stands now Kearns is a career .261 hitter with about 15+ dingers each year. don't read into anything just cause he's hitting sub .200 right now. barring injuries (he's on the DL right now) his average will come back up. he'll get hot once he's healthy. it's just how things seem to work out....

I don't know. I think Kearns peaked. He is lazy and it showed.
    Lopez is what he is.
    I can't help but think about the possibilities of nutritional supplements with those two.
    80% of the earth is covered by water. The other 20% is covered by Eric Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by 44Magnum View Post
    I don't know. I think Kearns peaked. He is lazy and it showed.
    Lopez is what he is.
    I can't help but think about the possibilities of nutritional supplements with those two.
    you think they should have been included in the Mitchell Report ?

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaFan View Post

as it stands now Kearns is a career .261 hitter with about 15+ dingers each year. don't read into anything just cause he's hitting sub .200 right now. barring injuries (he's on the DL right now) his average will come back up. he'll get hot once he's healthy. it's just how things seem to work out....
    Maybe so, but it's hard to suggest that the Reds are missing either of them very much.

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    Who knows whether Wayne viewed that trade as dumping Kearns and Lopez who were undeserving of the huge raises they were about to get? Somehow I find that a little unlikely, I think he thought he was giving value to get value. But, as it turned out, we were better off making the trade simply because it allowed us to move bad players and not have to pay their salary.
    I disagree. It was said at the time of the trade that it was partially a salary dump because the Reds weren't going to pay them the raises they had coming.
    Who's on first?

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    I disagree. It was said at the time of the trade that it was partially a salary dump because the Reds weren't going to pay them the raises they had coming.
    I don't remember that but I take your word for it.

I still think we got crap for what we gave at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    I still think we got crap for what we gave at the time.

I don't know man, Bray was a pretty damn good prospect. Former first rounder and a lefty. I would have given Lopez for him straight up now and then. It was apparent that Lopez can't play SS effectively and his bat no longer looks good when it is at another IF position.

Kearns and Wagner for Majewski, Thompson, that guy that is now with the Rays (forget his name), and Clayton seems fair to me, even back then. Kearns was getting ready to get very expensive relative to his production.

I thought the trade was at least a wash at the time and it is now looking like the Reds were the clear winners (even if Bray is only an average lefty and Thompson only develops to be a 5th starter).

Reds got the best out of that deal! Bray still has some promise and Thompson will be a major league pitcher. Where are all those ripping that trade now?

Quote Originally Posted by Orodle View Post
    Reds got the best out of that deal! Bray still has some promise and Thompson will be a major league pitcher. Where are all those ripping that trade now?
    Right here...

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaFan View Post

It just proves that 85% of REDSZONERS never knew what they were talking about to begin with when it comes to evaluating trades. They usually fail to see the value in how difficult it is to try to obtain good pitching and that you have to take more chances in order to get good pitching than you do good hitting.

Is this thing ever going to be put to rest? It's over, done with ,ancient history. They got two overpaid players to join their stable of crappy ex-Reds, and we got a hot prospect in Thompson who is tearing it up.

I liked the trade back then and I love the trade right now.

Turn Off Ads?