Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New MLB.com mock draft

Re: New MLB.com mock draft

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    May be true. But the MiLB scouting report suggests that Beckham may end up moving to 2B. Another Aaron Hill (a Buckley pick)? Another Chris Valaika? I'm a little suspicious of Beckham's bustout this year. The huge power spike is weird. Meanwhile, Brett Wallace has won the Pac 10 Triple Crown 2 years in a row. He is not a "complete reach" at #7, in my opinion. That kid is going to hit for solid power and get on base a lot in the major leagues. I assume Alonso's bat is for real, too. A lot of the college guys are going to be fine with me this year -- while the only high schooler I'll feel comfortable with is T. Beckham, and I really doubt he'll be there.
    I don't like Wallace's power profile, he's going to lose a lot of juice with a wood bat. Also, though I don't recommend scouting based on body types, the kid is built like a 55-year-old house frau. No way do you take him in front of Smoak or Alonso.

If Beckham has to move to 2B or 3B, that's fine if his bat is for real (power to all fields, great eye at the plate, good bat speed, level swing, has done well in wood bat leagues). It's one of the reasons you draft a SS with a quality bat, he doesn't have to be a SS in the final analysis. Plus, Beckham's bat at this juncture is an order of magnitude better than Valaika or Hill's were heading into their drafts. He's got a 1.305 OPS. That's just insane production.

I'm with you on Beckham being the only high schooler of interest where the Reds will be picking. I'm hoping Hosmer and Skipworth go higher just to increase the pool of players I'd like the Reds to be selecting from.
    Last edited by M2; 05-28-2008 at 05:23 PM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The chances of Brian Matusz falling to the Reds seems to be increasing each week. Two months ago there was zero chance of that happening, but now those chances are improving. If Matusz makes it past the Orioles there's a decent chance he falls to the Reds. I sure hope so because Brian Matusz would look awful nice in the Reds rotation in a couple years.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    The chances of Brian Matusz falling to the Reds seems to be increasing each week. Two months ago there was zero chance of that happening, but now those chances are improving. If Matusz makes it past the Orioles there's a decent chance he falls to the Reds. I sure hope so because Brian Matusz would look awful nice in the Reds rotation in a couple years.
    Word.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

Yes seriously. Behind Posey and the younger Beckham, he would be my #1 choice for the Reds for sure.

Back to Gordon Beckham for a minute. Why do scouts think he may not stick at shortstop in the majors? I've read some reports on him from milb.com and they say Beckham has above average range at shortstop and has the ability to be an excellent defender. If that's true then why would he move off shortstop? With a bat like that and above average range, why move the guy?
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Back to Gordon Beckham for a minute. Why do scouts think he may not stick at shortstop in the majors? I've read some reports on him from milb.com and they say Beckham has above average range at shortstop and has the ability to be an excellent defender. If that's true then why would he move off shortstop? With a bat like that and above average range, why move the guy?
    I've heard that it is because he might end up growing out of it.

The Georgia athletic website shows Beckham at 6'0" and 185 pounds. There's not a whole lot of room for projection there and that's the same exact weight/height of Barry Larkin.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

I get the feeling that when you aren't a wizard in the field (e.g. just very good) and you've got a big stick, then the scouts put a defensive caveat on you. Players like that don't have to stay at SS to make it.

IIRC, there was speculation after Larkin got drafted whether he'd remain at SS.

I will be peeved if we take Yonder with this pick.

Matusz
    Crow
    Gordon Beckman
    Smoak

I really want Matusz or Crow.

Do pretty much all of us agree that Matusz would be the best pick? I am really, really hoping for him, but that would mean most likely the 6 guys taken before us are field players and we would take the first pitcher.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I get the feeling that when you aren't a wizard in the field (e.g. just very good) and you've got a big stick, then the scouts put a defensive caveat on you. Players like that don't have to stay at SS to make it.

IIRC, there was speculation after Larkin got drafted whether he'd remain at SS.
    Agreed.

It's almost like there is an in-built bias against offensive production from the SS position -- as if scouts see a guy raking and immediately say "well, if he's strong enough to hit it hard, he's obviously too slow to play the position."

Besides, if you're scouting the kid, do you really want to go public with the idea that he's a true SS prospect that can rake? He'd shoot up the draft boards even higher, robbing a lot of teams (many of whom employ the very scouts we're talking about) from having an opportunity to take him.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Do pretty much all of us agree that Matusz would be the best pick? I am really, really hoping for him, but that would mean most likely the 6 guys taken before us are field players and we would take the first pitcher.
    Not me. I would honestly go Beckham/Avarez/Beckham before anyone else in the draft.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    I'm torn but I would probably go with Matusz over G. Beckham, ya simply cannot have enough good pitching and you cannot get this kind of pitching w/o drafting it or paying huge sums of talent/money for it. I mean if we had Beckham in our system already and someone offered us Matusz straight up you'd have to do the deal, unless perhaps Beckham was Jose Reyes-esque right? We are all really spoiled in Cincy with past SS's and so it's difficult to pass on such a good one but pitching is just too premium.

So my picks in order of preference would be.

T. Beckham
    Matusz
    G. Beckham
    Alvarez
    Posey
    Smoak
    Crow (Would be much higher if not for concerns about possible eventual arm problems)
    Hosmer
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Just from my reading, watching some videos, and without great study, I think this high school first baseman Eric Hosmer is the one to take. He apparently can pitch at 98 mph and has huge power and a great bat for a high school player. But he is a Boras guy and it's unlikely the Reds will take him. He's also another lefty power bat, not the key area of need.

But just my two cents, I think he would be a great value for the Reds at 7.

I would never take a H.S. player represented by Boras. He always gets leverage by having his H.S. players sign on with colleges.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Turn Off Ads?