Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New MLB.com mock draft

Re: New MLB.com mock draft

Matsuz #10?? That seems hard to believe. I really do hope that if it comes down to Matsuz and Crow that the reds go with the former as opposed to the latter.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Matusz shut out Cal last night. I would wet myself if the Reds got him at #7.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds View Post
    Matusz shut out Cal last night. I would wet myself if the Reds got him at #7.
    Agreed, if he's there and Tim Beckham is not I will be a bit disappointed if he's not a Red. Although I can live with any of the consensus top 8 or so talents. The more I sit and think about it the more I doubt he will be there. My gut says we end up with a 1st basemen and 2 of the 3 are too close to be anything more than insurance/trade bait. Unless of course Dunn isn't going to be around and Votto eventually ends up in LF to make room for perhaps Justin Smoak (please not Alonso at that pick).
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Why is everyone so down on Alonso? I love the kids swing. I think its one of the better swings in the draft.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    Why is everyone so down on Alonso? I love the kids swing. I think its one of the better swings in the draft.
    True and his plate discipline is very good as well. But something about him just screams bust too me, probably has to do with his Incaviglia-esque physique. And if I am going to pick a guy that high he will have as few flaws possible.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 05-31-2008 at 06:07 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I hope the pick is either Matusz or Crow. We already have our 1B of the future (and he's not much older than these current college 1Bs coming out of the draft) and we still need pitching. Unless they love one of the hitters and he is clearly the best player on the board, take one of the college pitchers!

How the Crow Flies...

or...What's love got to Matusz with it?

This one comes from Dennis in West Springfield:

Since this is most likely the last start for each pitcher before the draft, I'm curious as to which dominant CGSHO performance today would impress you more. I know you probably didn't see either in person, but:

Missouri IP H R ER BB SO AB BF NP
    --------------------------------------------------
    Crow, Aaron......... 9.0 3 0 0 5 10 29 35 122

or

San Diego IP H R ER BB SO AB BF
    -----------------------------------------------
    Matusz, Brian....... 9.0 3 0 0 1 10 29 32

Crow was facing Ole Miss (37-25) while Matusz got California (33-20-2)

I know that Crow was on the slide lately (but still in the top 10), but I'm wondering if this might get him reconsidered a little higher (maybe KC or Baltimore)

Thanks,
    Dennis

p.s. -- I couldn't think of an appropriate Schoolhouse Rock title for the email so I went with the old Rocky and Bullwinkle double-barrelled alternative.

Dennis -- First off, appreciate the effort with the title. Secondly, your comparison does bring up something interesting. Just how much can one last performance in a regional help or hurt someone? I don't know that there's a hard and fast answer to that. With Matusz, I don't think it matters either way -- he's going to go where he's going to go. That CG SHO isn't suddenly going to make him the No. 1 pick.

For Crow, it might be interesting. I'd been hearing he was sliding, but perhaps not so much because of performance (though he had a mini-slump earlier). Word is he (well, his advisor) has been floating that they want a Major League contract and that's why he's dropped a few slots. Truth be told, though, I don't see him dropping too far because of that and his regional start against Ole Miss (and Lance Lynn) certainly won't hurt as teams in the top 10 (Cincy?) are considering him. That being said, I don't see any teams higher than that taking him.

Some other interesting performances from possible top picks over the weekend of Regional play:

Buster Posey, FSU: 8-for-15, 5 HR, 12 RBI in four games (with one to play vs. Tulane tonight)

Justin Smoak, S. Carolina: 7-for-15, 2 HR, 6 RBI (USC season is over)

Yonder Alonso, Miami: 2-for-10, 4 BB as Miami advances

Gordon Beckham, Georgia: 8-for-18, 1 HR, 6 RBI (one to play vs. Ga. Tech)

More later...

http://draft.mlblogs.com/

I think it's worth mentioning that after drafting #7, the Reds don't pick again until #84 and #119.

Thus, #7 for the Reds this year comes with a little more pressure to get it right than a top 10 pick in any other year.

#7 has to pan out. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    I think it's worth mentioning that after drafting #7, the Reds don't pick again until #84 and #119.

Thus, #7 for the Reds this year comes with a little more pressure to get it right than a top 10 pick in any other year.

#7 has to pan out. Period.
    Chad Mottola

Ty Howington

Johnny Oliver

Gosh I hope you are correct sir...

I don't believe there is any more pressure to get the 1st pick "right" this year, than there is any other year. The MLB draft is the biggest crap shoot of all the drafts amongst the major sports. w/ 64 rounds, there will undoubtfully be great players taken beyond round 10, and half of the 1st round picks won't amount to much in the majors, if they ever make that far.

Right now, I'd take a Chris Gruler in round 1, if I was garunteed to get a Joey Votto in round 3, and not even think twice about missing a 2nd round pick. If every draft could produce a Joey Votto type talent, plus an additionally major league filler talent or 2, I think a lot of GMs would be happy. Instead many drafts end up producing a couple of fillet type talent and no talent w/ a real shot at multiple all star appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I don't believe there is any more pressure to get the 1st pick "right" this year, than there is any other year. The MLB draft is the biggest crap shoot of all the drafts amongst the major sports. w/ 64 rounds, there will undoubtfully be great players taken beyond round 10, and half of the 1st round picks won't amount to much in the majors, if they ever make that far.

Right now, I'd take a Chris Gruler in round 1, if I was garunteed to get a Joey Votto in round 3, and not even think twice about missing a 2nd round pick. If every draft could produce a Joey Votto type talent, plus an additionally major league filler talent or 2, I think a lot of GMs would be happy. Instead many drafts end up producing a couple of fillet type talent and no talent w/ a real shot at multiple all star appearances.
    While I see some pressure for a "right" #1, I agree with medford that a quality deep draft is more important. Coming up with solid players and signing them in the first 15 rounds and maybe picking up a gem or two even later is more important long term than what happens at #1. Let's just say for instance that you get Brian Matusz and he ends up being an ace but not another player from the year makes an impact. To me that's a lousy draft. If #1 misses however, and #3, #8, #11, #12, and #15 all become big league players that's a much better draft. What everyone wants and what I hope for is acombination of both. I'm greedy.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    While I see some pressure for a "right" #1, I agree with medford that a quality deep draft is more important. Coming up with solid players and signing them in the first 15 rounds and maybe picking up a gem or two even later is more important long term than what happens at #1. Let's just say for instance that you get Brian Matusz and he ends up being an ace but not another player from the year makes an impact. To me that's a lousy draft. If #1 misses however, and #3, #8, #11, #12, and #15 all become big league players that's a much better draft. What everyone wants and what I hope for is acombination of both. I'm greedy.
    Absolutely concur!

--Woody Hayes

You have to think that Crow and Gordon Beckham are their realistic top targets. Both would hopefully speed through the system.

Only two more days until the draft! I don't know about you guys but I can hardly wait.

Keith Law now saying the Reds are considering Brett Lawrie.

Turn Off Ads?