Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New MLB.com mock draft

Re: New MLB.com mock draft

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Keith Law now saying the Reds are considering Brett Lawrie.
    Seriously? Or you just messin' with me?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Seriously? Or you just messin' with me?
    Seriously.

What kind of scouting report does Lawrie have? Is he another late riser a la Bruce and Mes?

This is the write up they have on Lawrie over on MLB-Draft.com site...

29 . Brett Lawrie, HS 3B/1B/LF, 6' -200, (Canada) -- The kid can flat out rake. Lawrie should hit as a pro, and very well at that, but his lack of a suitable position is a concern. LF or 1B may be his best bet, although some have suggested catcher... I don't see it. Regardless, his bat is his calling card, while employing above average speed to boot. Has already displayed his prowess by going 21-30 against pros from extended spring training, including doubles off of Luke Hochevar and Kyle Davies, as well as tagging 8 HR's in 5 games vs ML Dominican Summer squads. Lawrie is sky-rocketing up boards.

Pretty impressive

And at BA...

16. Brett Lawrie 3b/c Brookwood SS, Langley, B.C. NR 37
    Lawrie's legend continues to grow as he tours with Canada's junior national team; he hit five home runs in a doubleheader against the Mariners' extended-spring team in the Dominican Republic, going foul pole to foul pole in a demonstration of one of the prep ranks' most pro-ready bats.
    Last edited by Az. Reds Fan; 06-03-2008 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I like Lawrie, but as a later 1st round selection. My take remains the Reds are trying to create helium for second tier first rounders in the hopes it will bump the first tier guys in whom they're more interested.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I like Lawrie, but as a later 1st round selection. My take remains the Reds are trying to create helium for second tier first rounders in the hopes it will bump the first tier guys in whom they're more interested.
    I really hope you are right.

The more I'm think about it, I really hope the Reds get Matsuz. I've said it before, but the Reds really need a lefty in their rotation sometime soon (not named Maloney). I wouldn't be too upset if Gordon Beckham was the choice either. I just would prefer Matsuz.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    The more I'm think about it, I really hope the Reds get Matsuz. I've said it before, but the Reds really need a lefty in their rotation sometime soon (not named Maloney). I wouldn't be too upset if Gordon Beckham was the choice either. I just would prefer Matsuz.
    My thoughts exactly.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

I will do cartwheels and jumping jacks in the nude if the Reds draft Brian Matusz. Matusz is a big lefty with four above average pitches who profiles as a No. 2 starter and should be ready to contribute in the majors by the 2010 season. Adding a guy like Brian Matusz to the equation would really push the Reds over the top IMO. Imagine a 2010 rotation of Edinson Volquez, Aaron Harang, Brian Matusz, Johnny Cueto, and either Daryl Thompson or Homer Bailey.

Reds hired a very experienced Canadian scout last year. Then they drafted Lotzkar and some other Canadians. I think they mean to do some business up there, so this is not a total surprise. Lawrie has been getting great press.

Any chance Hosmer could fall to us?

Give me Justin Smoak or Yonder Alonso over Eric Hosmer.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Reds hired a very experienced Canadian scout last year. Then they drafted Lotzkar and some other Canadians. I think they mean to do some business up there, so this is not a total surprise. Lawrie has been getting great press.
    I'm sure if the Reds were picking #15 again he'd be right near the top of the team's list. Yet I sincerely doubt the team's giving him any real consideration at #7. The Reds are inside the sweet spot of this draft and there's no real reason to dip into the next tier.

I'd expect to see the Reds in on some Canadian kids later in the draft rather than on Lawrie. We can only hope they pick RHP Stosh Wawrzasek. With a name like that who cares what he's like on the mound.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I'm sure if the Reds were picking #15 again he'd be right near the top of the team's list. Yet I sincerely doubt the team's giving him any real consideration at #7. The Reds are inside the sweet spot of this draft and there's no real reason to dip into the next tier.
    I dunno. This kid's making jaws drop right now, and I could see Buckley taking a liking to him.

We can only hope they pick RHP Stosh Wawrzasek. With a name like that who cares what he's like on the mound.
    Draft the catcher Fedorowicz from UNC and make em battery comrades.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I will do cartwheels and jumping jacks in the nude if the Reds draft Brian Matusz.
    For our sake, do it alone and in a pitch black room if he falls to us.

Turn Off Ads?