Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Wednesday May 28 Minor League game thread

Re: Wednesday May 28 Minor League game thread

Roenicke had some command problems early in the season. He's been better of late and still Ks a ton of guys. He'll move up to AAA soon.

Majewski has been lights out of late with a lot of Ks. Could it be improved health? I think he could possibly take over Fogg's spot in the Reds pen. Fogg is a starter and doesn't seem to have any role on the Reds.

The other two relievers who've been great are Herrera at AAA and Manuel at AA.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Majewski has been lights out of late with a lot of Ks. Could it be improved health? I think he could possibly take over Fogg's spot in the Reds pen.

please no. if Majik is pitching well in AAA then trade him to some team who thinks he can pitch. i am convinced he'll never get it done here.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post

please no. if Majik is pitching well in AAA then trade him to some team who thinks he can pitch. i am convinced he'll never get it done here.
    I also thought the same way as you do. But Maj is pitching great at AAA and maybe he's finally healthy now. I'd give him the Reds mop up job instead of Fogg and see how he does. One last shot.

I talked with one of the Dragons announcers before the year, and he told me that Cozart really isn't a bad hitter, he had a lingering injury all year along with starting in Low A. He said that he thinks he could have a good enough bat to play in the majors someday.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I also thought the same way as you do. But Maj is pitching great at AAA and maybe he's finally healthy now. I'd give him the Reds mop up job instead of Fogg and see how he does. One last shot.
    Now that I've thought about it, if there's one thing I trust Dusty with, it's the bullpen. Some might disagree with a move here and there, but on the whole I think he's done a good job using his good arms in the right situations. Therefore, I think he'd actually use Maj the way you're suggesting, which is to say correctly.

If Majewski were to maintain his recent performance level enough to create some value as a deal-sweetner I'd be very pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I'd settle for Louisville.

It looks as though Jocketty and Reynolds aren't shy about making moves with the minor leaguers. I wonder why Roenicke is still in AA, and how long he'll be there.
    Possibly after the draft?...Roenicke to AAA and Watson (he's been lights out recently) to AA.

I would not discount Ben Jukich either, in discussing options for 09 and 2010. He doesn't get enough respect as a prospect over some of the glitzier guys, imo. He has a heavy fastball that induces groundballs at a much higher than normal rate - near 65% which is amazing. He has a 9 inning complete game with the Lookouts and in 10 starts has 62.1 innings with 52 hits, only 2 homers allowed, 45 strikeouts and an era of 2.63. I'd like to see his K rate per 9 rise back to the better 8 per 9 it has been throughout his career so far, and reduce the walks a bit from a little over 4 per 9. The slightly lower strikeout rate and walking more than a batter per 9 more than last year are a bit concerning but the groundball tendency and ability to suppress the longball are definite strengths. He's 25 with a great pitcher's frame at 6-4 and 190 and has a really nice smooth delivery. Did I mention he's a lefty?

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I would not discount Ben Jukich either, in discussing options for 09 and 2010. He doesn't get enough respect as a prospect over some of the glitzier guys, imo. He has a heavy fastball that induces groundballs at a much higher than normal rate - near 65% which is amazing. He has a 9 inning complete game with the Lookouts and in 10 starts has 62.1 innings with 52 hits, only 2 homers allowed, 45 strikeouts and an era of 2.63. I'd like to see his K rate per 9 rise back to the better 8 per 9 it has been throughout his career so far, and reduce the walks a bit from a little over 4 per 9. The slightly lower strikeout rate and walking more than a batter per 9 more than last year are a bit concerning but the groundball tendency and ability to suppress the longball are definite strengths. He's 25 with a great pitcher's frame at 6-4 and 190 and has a really nice smooth delivery. Did I mention he's a lefty?
    What I'm really liking is the pitching depth that is starting to develop behind the most mentioned names (both starters and relievers). I think you're gonna see some deals in the next couple of years utilizing some of that depth to help the big club in addition to those that help the Reds directly.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I really think Jukich should have been moved to AAA at the same time as Thompson. I hope to see him move to that level in the very near future.

So.... out of curiousity. How many think that the Reds still got hosed in the kearns deal?

I will never like the major league return they got on that deal. Never. Maj was the center-piece, and he is the awful. I pray to forget that Royce Clayton was once a starting SS on this team. So far, the answer to my prayers makes me sad, as I retain full memories of those days.

I hold out hopes for Bray. I am thrilled that Thompson is starting to have real success. Those are good things. But that deal will always be a failure on the front end, as WK pulled it intending to "shore up the bullpen" and "win now". Dealing a starting RF and starting SS for two set-up men, one of whom was a rookie, and the other of whom was unbelieveably hit lucky to that point in his career, and apparently nursing an injury, and a bad glove poorer bat aged SS remains particularly short-sighted. That said, if Bray develops, and Thompson becomes something, the deal will have been salvaged long-term. But it remains a short term disaster.

Turn Off Ads?