Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 mock draft selection thread

Re: 2008 mock draft seclection thread

At #43, the Dbax take fast risin' home boy Daniel Schlereth. Recent reports had him at 97-98mph.......

Daniel
    Schlereth LHP L/L 6-0 210 Arizona SR 22 1 0 1.97 28 1 45.2 26 16 65

from BA:

The son of former NFL offensive lineman and current ESPN commentator Mark Schlereth, Daniel Schlereth was an eighth-round pick last year as a draft-eligible sophomore, having missed a year due to Tommy John surgery. Schlereth didn't sign and has come back improved as part of a devastating Arizona bullpen with three of the nation's best power arms. While teammate Ryan Perry figures to be drafted higher this year (and sophomore closer Jason Stoffel should go higher next year), Schlereth was making a case to go in the first two rounds by showing improved command and stuff from 2007. Schlereth finds the strike zone more consistently with his 90-94 mph fastball and at times has more velocity, sometimes sitting 94-96. His power breaking ball is a swing-and-miss pitch, and he's done a better job of throwing it for strikes. After a failed bid as a starter earlier in his career, Schlereth has shown the guts to challenge hitters with his stuff in a relief role and could be the rare lefthanded closer as a pro. The biggest question will be whether or not he can maintain his stuff while improving his control. He'll never have command with the effort he puts into his delivery, but he still doesn't throw as many quality strikes as he'll need to at higher levels. He's expected to be drafted in the first three rounds.

2. Turn Off Ads?

At pick #44, the New York Yankees select:

Niko Vasquez SS Durango HS, Las Vegas

I think the Yankees will take a chance with a young shortstop here. Their lack of depth in the minor leagues as far as position players is astrounding. They may look to fill the void created by the loss of Jeter in a few years with a young man that has tons of raw talent. I think that Vasquez fills the bill.

There's a lot of toolsy OFs on the board who may or may not hit in the pros. Yet Bill James keeps warning everyone in the draft room that MLB has never been so devoid of toolsy OFs who can hit, so the club has settled on Jay Austin, OF, North Atlanta (GA) HS. Hopefully he'll be able to make the scouting department forget that they drafted Jason Place.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

With pick number 46, the San Diego Padres select:

Wade Miley, LHP, Southeastern Louisiana

http://www.lionsports.net/stats/base/2008/teamcume.htm

http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle...&ATCLID=941972

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    There's a lot of toolsy OFs on the board who may or may not hit in the pros. Yet Bill James keeps warning everyone in the draft room that MLB has never been so devoid of toolsy OFs who can hit, so the club has settled on Jay Austin, OF, North Atlanta (GA) HS. Hopefully he'll be able to make the scouting department forget that they drafted Jason Place.
    Damn you. I was hoping he would fall to the Reds at #83.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That dude sux.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Damn you. I was hoping he would fall to the Reds at #83.
    If it makes you feel any better, there was no way he was getting past the #79 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    That dude sux.
    Well, I was looking to take a Travis Lee clone and give him a ridiculously high bonus, but you already beat me to it.

I would just like to point out that my mock draft pick made an appearance on Sportscenter's top ten list last night for a defensive web gem. Beat that!

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I would just like to point out that my mock draft pick made an appearance on Sportscenter's top ten list last night for a defensive web gem. Beat that!

My sandwich pick from last year hit a game winning single for Miami to put them in the Super Regionals.

So I've got that going for me.

Which is nice.

Maybe we should really start to rush this a bit if we are to be done before the real draft. It took 4 days just to get through the 1st 46 picks, and with nearly 60 picks to go I'm sweating it. I'm hoping that it was just a weekend issue, so we can be done late Wed or early Thurs.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

The Tampa Bay Dragons as they will now be known select Eric Thames OF from Pepperdine U
    Go Gators!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

48. Pirates select Mike Montgomery, LHP, Hart HS California

The Pirates couldn't pass up a tall, projectable lefty who has hit 95 MPH this year.

I'm here and ready for #50. Has anyone told redhawk61 that he's on the clock?
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I'm around as well for No. 51

Turn Off Ads?