Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thursday May 29th minor league updates

Re: Thursday May 29th minor league updates

You know, no matter how well Frazier, Maloney, Thompson, Bailey, Mes, etc... do during any particular day, I must say that the daily minor league update threads are not nearly as fun to read w/o the anticipation of what The Boss will do next.

Of course the last 2 nights of Reds baseball has been much more fun to watch

2. Turn Off Ads?

Anyone know the answer to the MacBeth question above? I've been wondering myself.

I'm not sure what's wrong with McBeth.

Former Red Chris Booker just threw a 1-2-3 inning. Yet another former Red in the Washington organization. Ray Olmedo is playing SS.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Maloney back out there for the 7th inning. He gets a groundout on 2-2, and then a groundout on 1-2, and a groundout on 0-1.

Maloney: 7 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 3 BB, 5 K...100 pitches.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

That's yet another in a now long growing series of really good performances from Maloney.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Louisville scores two in the top of the 8th to make a winner out of Matt Maloney. An Adam Rosales triple was the big blow. Todd Coffey comes on in the 8th to make things interesting. With one out an error, a walk and a double leave the Bats up one with runners on second and third. Danny Herrera comes on to clean up the mess. After an intentional walk he gets a strike out and a pop up to end the threat. Louisville tacks on two insurance runs in the ninth and Herrera closes things out. Louisville wins 6-3. Herrera's ERA has now dipped below 1.00. Goodnight, America!

To this day I can't believe the Phillies gave him up for a rental of Kyle Lohse. Another great trade by Krivsky.

On the McBeth thing, minorleaguebaseball.com has him on the 7-day DL but I haven't found any reports regarding it

Anybody at LOU/CMB game this afternoon? What kind of fastball velocity did Maloney have? How were his secondary pitches?

If he keeps this up, we'll be seeing him very soon

Enerio Del Rosario is starting in place of Rafael Gonzalez for Sarasota.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Nothing really to report down on the farm today aside from Maloney. Valaika and Stubbs had hits, Waring had two doubles, and Mez was 3-4 with 3 singles.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Mez was 3-4 with 3 singles.
    Nice, avg up to .283 now

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Danny Herrera comes on to clean up the mess. After an intentional walk he gets a strike out and a pop up to end the threat. Louisville tacks on two insurance runs in the ninth and Herrera closes things out. Louisville wins 6-3. Herrera's ERA has now dipped below 1.00. Goodnight, America!
    I realize we should never evaluate relievers by ERA,but an ERA under 1.00 at Louisville is very impressive. I think with a couple more appearances like this and Herrera should be getting the call up to Cincinnati. We can at least see how he handles major league hitting.

Some other things to note:

Tonys Gutierrez 2 for 3 with a double and a HR. Guy needs a promotion. .337/.456/.464/.920
    Pedro Viola 2IP, 1H, 5K.

With the obvious need in the major league OF, lets take a look at the high minors guys.

Sean Henry 1 for 2 with 2BB. Another interesting OF at Chatt. .301/.394/.504/.898
    Cody Strait 0 for 4 with 3K's. He's cooled a bit. .291/.330/.500/.830.
    Shaun Cumberland 1 for 4. .286/.382/.497/.879.

That is three OF candidates for that CF/RF spot in Cincy all doing pretty well in AA. I don't think the Reds have an answer at AAA for that role and I'd like to see one or more of these guys moved along to AAA. Cumberland should be the first in line IMO.

Speakimg of the AAA OF:

Chris Dickerson 2 for 5 with a 3B. Having a bad year. .236/.319/.340/.659 ugh!
    Drew Anderson 0 for 4. .250/.333/.250/.583. Why is he still clogging up the system when at least one of the guys at AA ought to be promoted?
    Cory Patterson DNP.

Cut Anderson, promote Cumberland and get more PT for Danny Dorn in AA.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

I don't think Danny Herrera's chances of making the bigs matters much on how he does, but more on how those above him due.

ie, as long as Bray/Affeldt/Mercker/Burton are healthy and performing well, I don't think it matters much what Danny does. Perhaps he'll get a late season call up, or some mid-season trades would open up a spot for him. But for now, I assume even if he continues to post 0s every time out, management will be content to let him sit down in AAA for the next 2+ months baring an injury.

He will/should get a solid look in ST next year w/ a legit shot at making the squad out of camp. You have to figure Bray gives you 1 lefty out of the pen, assuming he's healthy. Danny would give the Reds another Lefty opton. I doubt Affeldt returns for next season (unless the Reds get themselves into the race, I assume Affeldt will be flipped for some prospects at the deadline). I assume Mercker will retire again. What other lefty options out of the pen do the Reds have?

Turn Off Ads?