Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fay update on Homer Bailey with quotes from Terry Reynolds

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Fay update on Homer Bailey with quotes from Terry Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    Well, its kind of hard to tell one way or another. I guess it depends on who we are willing to believe.

For arguments sake Reynolds could be sticking up for one of his players and sort of covering his backside at the same time. It is sort of his responsibility to make sure Homer is following instruction.

GL
    I can't imagine our scouting director would go on the record to say "Homer's still walking too many guys, and he's a jerk."

Although in Fay's latest, he did say that Homer walked too many....

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Hal took an absolute cheap shot at Bailey today for no reason. This was from todays DDN about last nights CINCINNATI REDS game.
    Maybe Hal thinks he's lighting a fire under Bailey that will get the kid to perform like the phenom he's supposed to be?

I don't think Hal's bashing Homer just to bash Homer.

McCoy throwing more gasoline in that fire:

For those taking me to task about what I said about Bailey - hey, I like the kid. I don’t care if he talks to the media or treats us with disrespect or tries to kick my dog, Barkley (yeah, I do care about that one).

There was a time this spring when it was Homer and me, by ourselves in a clubhouse in Fort Myers, Fla., before he pitched against the Red Sox. We chatted and he smiled and he told me a joke.”

But there are times when he isn’t personable and that’s fine, too - if it’s only with the media. Two of his teammates, both in the rotation, took him to task for a “big-league attitude” this spring and one said, “What he needs is for somebody to take him water skiing, without the skiis.”

Somebody brought up Steve Carlton. No, he didn’t communicate with the media, but he did with his teammates and his teammates loved him.

And say what you want about Terry Reynolds saying Homer is getting a bad rap. With the Reds needing another starting pitcher right now, if they thought Bailey was ready would they be starting Josh Fogg Saturday.

Enough. If Homer can pitch up here (but he has to do more at AAA right now), get him up here - cowboy boots, cowboy belt buckle, big ol’ truck, Bowie knife, cocky attitude, whatever.
    It isn't too difficult to figure out that the two pitchers McCoy is referring to have to be Harang and Arroyo. They were the only ones with tenure during spring training. And given that quote, it sounds like something Arroyo would say.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

You have to even wonder if Bailey starts pitching well if the current Reds players will want him called up. They may lay a stink about it.

Homer sounds like he has alienated the entire 25 man roster.

I don't care if they aren't buddies. Too much is made of "chemistry".

Leave Homer Alone!

I will say it again, the weather has warmed up, I suspect Homer is about to as well.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Bailey is learning how to pitch, not throw. And I know of no one else (aside from Aronchis) who continues the completely unfounded rumor of Bailey's alleged partying. As far as an attitude goes, I really don't care. Nor should anyone else. Steve Carlton had the world's worst and Bob Gibson's wasn't far behind. Attitude sometimes assists a pitcher, particularly one who often doesn't challenge hitters enough (like Homer). To say he shouldn't "groove" pitches over the plate and then, in the next breath, to jump on him for his BB rate is really ridiculous. It's either one or the other. And it's not like he's lost stuff. (Despite what Aronchis would have you believe.) Though 8.6 h/ 9 IP is above what he has shown historically, it's not like he's chucking and ducking.

Bailey's problem, thus far this season, is the big inning. Once he's off, he's really off. Too, he's been a bit homer unlucky.

Relax, he's only 22. He'll get it sooner or later. Then, watch out.

And, if not, there's always another pitcher to skewer-- I mean, root for.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't think it even goes that far. If Bailey is described as a loner there is nothing you can do about nor is there anything wrong with that. There are millions of people in this world who like being by themselves. It shouldn't be a hindrance on Bailey being a great baseball player if he isn't outgoing, is it?
    it should be when he isn't even proven yet...

I'm sorry, but 6 IP with 5 H, 4 BB, and 4 SO is not "very good". A 1.50 WHIP in Louisville and 6 K/9 is not something to be pumped up about. Yes, he allowed just 1 run. It could've easily have been 3.

Until Bailey shows himself to be more ready than Matt Maloney, he's at best #2 in the promotion pecking order.

I don't care what his attitude is or isn't. Hal saying that there's no reason for being a loner is really rude of him. It's one thing if Bailey doesn't take instruction. But to rail on him for having a quiet personality is just a plain old personal attack and was completely unprofessional. That all said, his pitching isn't ready. Until it is, he stays in AAA.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 05-29-2008 at 07:49 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I thought the job of the pitcher was to keep the other team from scoring runs? Does it matter how pretty it is now?

Hal Mccoy is just flat out annoying. I'm sorry but I can't say I've ever been entertained or enlightened by a damn thing the man says.

That's that.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I thought the job of the pitcher was to keep the other team from scoring runs? Does it matter how pretty it is now?
    Because what you call pretty is what leads to those runs scoring over the long haul. Next time he allows 9 base-runners in 6 innings, it's quite likely he'll allow more than 1 run.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?