Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about Riverfront Stadium and GABP

Porkchop Sandwiches

Re: Question about Riverfront Stadium and GABP

Yes, it will be commemorated. The breathtaking riverfront park designed by Sasaki & Associates will have at least a marker for home plate. See the tenth slide on the slide show.

http://www.crpark.org/slide_show/index.html

Construction has finally begun on both the first phase of the Banks and the riverfront park, due to be complete for opening day 2011 (throw the streetcar in there too, if you are an optimist like myself). Great American Tower will loom over the ballpark as well. In 10 years, after being the laughingstock of the city, the riverfront will be a crown jewel, and something other cities will envy.

Pride.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo View Post
    Yes, it will be commemorated. The breathtaking riverfront park designed by Sasaki & Associates will have at least a marker for home plate. See the tenth slide on the slide show.

Construction has finally begun on both the first phase of the Banks and the riverfront park, due to be complete for opening day 2011 (throw the streetcar in there too, if you are an optimist like myself). Great American Tower will loom over the ballpark as well. In 10 years, after being the laughingstock of the city, the riverfront will be a crown jewel, and something other cities will envy.

Pride.
    That park looks absolutely gorgeous from those slides. Hopefully it is done right. Not only will it do wonders for the city and the riverfront, it will really enhance the ball park experience too when attending Reds games...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    Krono, I never smelled anything adverse at Riverfront. Did you make this up?
    No, but to be fair I was only there three times so maybe I just picked bad days
    Go Gators!

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Pride.

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

I was there Friday and took a tour of the Hall of Fame. It was an incredible experience and I'd recommend it to anyone. For $10, you get a pass that lasts the whole season. I will be back, because there wasn't enough time to see it all. The Nuxall exihibit was awesome.

One thing I'm wondering. As I was looking out south from the wall of baseballs commerating Pete Rose and his 4256 hits, I noticed south of the Rose garden was green grass, but it almost looked like artificial turf from Riverfront. Does anyone know if that's the actual field from the old park?

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Seriously? Riverfront stank. It smelled like burnt rubber and a 1970s gym locker mixed together.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nineworldseries View Post
    Seriously? Riverfront stank. It smelled like burnt rubber and a 1970s gym locker mixed together.
    There were some areas of Riverfront in the concourses that just smelled bad. Most of the seating areas were fine since they were out in the open a bit, but if you walked through the concourses you'd pass by sections where the place reeked.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    There were some areas of Riverfront in the concourses that just smelled bad. Most of the seating areas were fine since they were out in the open a bit, but if you walked through the concourses you'd pass by sections where the place reeked.
    Most sweaty, humid places stink... especially during the oppressive heat of an Ohio summer.

But towards the end the place really stunk the worst when the Bengals were on the field.

Pride.
    I'm very surprised at how fast construction seems to be going. I'm no developer, but I can literally see the changes day by day. Maybe I should document it.

Those photos actually made me nostalgiac for Riverfront. Which I never really thought I'd be (never had anything against it, just didn't mind it going down). But when I was little that place was a wonder. It seemed unimaginably massive.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    One thing I'm wondering. As I was looking out south from the wall of baseballs commerating Pete Rose and his 4256 hits, I noticed south of the Rose garden was green grass, but it almost looked like artificial turf from Riverfront. Does anyone know if that's the actual field from the old park?
    I've wondered that too. I don't know what that little patch is for if it's not commemorative.

The best part of that slide show was the porch swings. Awesome!
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Looking at those pictures, I'm already looking forward to going downtown hours before a game and hanging out until the gates open. Think about a Saturday evening game on a nice day and you'll be able to hang out there for a while before walking on over to the ballpark.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I'm very surprised at how fast construction seems to be going. I'm no developer, but I can literally see the changes day by day. Maybe I should document it.

Those photos actually made me nostalgiac for Riverfront. Which I never really thought I'd be (never had anything against it, just didn't mind it going down). But when I was little that place was a wonder. It seemed unimaginably massive.
    Someone already beat you to documenting it, on the web at least. Check out www.thebanksblog.com. Whoever writes it updates it with pictures almost daily and has very good comments to go along with it...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Looking at those pictures, I'm already looking forward to going downtown hours before a game and hanging out until the gates open.

You should live so long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Seeing as they already have started, it's not like they won't atleast finish the first part. They've already got financing, and builders, so that much is pretty much guaranteed. It's the rest that I worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Looking at those pictures, I'm already looking forward to going downtown hours before a game and hanging out until the gates open. Think about a Saturday evening game on a nice day and you'll be able to hang out there for a while before walking on over to the ballpark.
    I sometimes hang at the Inbetween or the Machine Room prior to game time... don't know if that will change or not, but it's nice to have choices.

Reds Freak, I can't get your link to work.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 06-05-2008 at 09:42 AM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I sometimes hang at the Inbetween or the Machine Room prior to game time... don't know if that will change or not, but it's nice to have choices.

Reds Freak, I can't get your link to work.
    Every once in a while, I think they have issues with that site and it says "page can't be displayed". It worked for me when I just clicked on it..
    -Walt Whitman

Turn Off Ads?