I went to see Maloney pitch today against the Columbus Clippers. He pitched very well. It was difficult to tell how hard he was throwing because the speed gun was rarely on when he was pitching. It looked like he threw a nice curve that clocked around 78. I only got the clock on one fastball that was at 88 and a few changeups that hovered around 80-81. It also looked like he threw a slider around 83-85, but I was having a hard time figuring out if it was indeed a slider or a cut fastball. He struck out five but what I really was impressed with was once he got into a groove, the number of groundball outs he had. He seemed to do a really good job at keeping the ball down and that resulted in a lot of ground ball outs. I left at the bottom of the 8th when I saw Coffey was coming in who only lasted 1/3 of an inning so I missed Herrara, who went the final 1.2 to get the save and lower his era to
.98. A couple of other things, Jerry Gill swung at everything (although it was only one game) he looks like he needs to improve his discipline. Adam Rosales got a triple to give the bats the lead and was flying around the bases, I did not know he had that kind of speed and he pumped his fist as he made it to third base. He has had a very rough start so far.