Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Daryl Thompson (#4) and Matt Maloney (#13) crack this weeks Prospect Hot Sheet

Daryl Thompson (#4) and Matt Maloney (#13) crack this weeks Prospect Hot Sheet

No. 4 DARYL THOMPSON, RHP, REDS
    Team: Triple-A Louisville (International)
    Why He's Here: 2-0, 1.38, 13 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 0 HR, 2 BB, 13 K
    The Scoop: We like to reward the prospects who have performed well all season, and that's exactly what Thompson has done this year. Thompson becomes the first player this year to make the Hot Sheet based on his weekly performance with two different teams. On Friday, May 23, Thompson allowed two runs, struck out seven and walked none in six innings for Double-Chattanooga. In his first Triple-A start on Wednesday, Thompson allowed one run (unearned) in seven innings, allowing four hits, one walk and striking out six. Working off an explosive 91-94 mph fastball, a slow curve, a slider and a changeup, Thompson finished Double-A with a 1.76 ERA in 61 1/3 innings and a 56-14 K-BB mark.

No. 13 MATT MALONEY, LHP, REDS
    Why he's here: 1-0, 1.29, 14 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 HR, 5 BB, 13 SO
    The Scoop: Maloney joined the Reds organization at the 2007 trade deadline, when the Phillies swapped him for a month of Kyle Lohse. Lohse gave the Phillies the innings they were looking for—and somehow managed to go 3-0 despite a 4.72 ERA—but Maloney just keeps on trucking for Cincinnati. A third-round pick out of Mississippi in 2005, Maloney has been in contention for a spot on the Hot Sheet all May, a month in which he went 4-1, 2.56 in 38 2/3 innings (six starts), and gave up only one home run, struck out 30 and walked 11. Though he stands 6-foot-4, weighs 220 pounds and has struck out about a batter per inning in his minor league career, Maloney is not a power pitcher. Instead he thrives on a 87-91 mph sinker, a plus changeup and pitchability to spare. Look for him in the Cincinnati rotation before season's end.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...08/266213.html

BA chat will be held at 1:30.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Daryl Thompson (#4) and Matt Maloney (#13) crack this weeks Prospect Hot Sheet

I can't wait to see Maloney this year. I really don't think it will be that much longer.

Re: Daryl Thompson (#4) and Matt Maloney (#13) crack this weeks Prospect Hot Sheet

Exciting to see the success of these two young guys while (hopefully) Homer straightens out.

I'd much rather see Maloney or Thompson than Fogg on Saturday.

The chat got pushed back to 4:00.

Here's the first Reds related question.

Q: Sandsniper from Florida asks:
    Please rank from top to bottom. With all the excitement this week with Jay Bruce, David Price and Clayton Kershaw...Who's the best of the bunch?

A: Ben Badler: Bruce 1, Kershaw 1-A and Price 1-AA. You're talking about three potential superstars.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/...08053001&rnd=3

Q: Kyle from Middletown asks:
    Where do you think Daryl Thompson will fit in the Reds top prospect list next year if he maintains this level of performance? Could he potentially crack BA's top 100?

A: J.J. Cooper: The Reds will likely graduate their top four prospects (Bruce, Bailey, Votto, Cueto) from last year's Top 30, so there's definitely some room for advancement. Assuming that Thompson keeps this up, he's a pretty surefire Reds Top 10 Prospect next year, and likely will work his way into top five. He can command the fastball and get swings and misses on it. That's a very valuable thing. Sorry but considering the Top 100 is nine months away I'm not ready to make a guess on that yet.

Thanks OBM, really good and encouraging reports.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    No. 13 MATT MALONEY, LHP, REDS
    Maloney is not a power pitcher. Instead he thrives on a 87-91 mph sinker, a plus changeup and pitchability to spare. Look for him in the Cincinnati rotation before season's end.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...08/266213.html

BA chat will be held at 1:30.
    I'd love to see a sinkerballer in the Reds rotation and I'm befuddled as to why we don't already have one. Seems to me sinkerball pitchers would do better in GABP than power pitchers and we sure can use a LH sinkerballer in this rotation now to go with four RHs including three power pitchers. The Cardinals have made a point of seeking out sinkerballers and I don't know why the Reds haven't done the same

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'd love to see a sinkerballer in the Reds rotation and I'm befuddled as to why we don't already have one. Seems to me sinkerball pitchers would do better in GABP than power pitchers and we sure can use a LH sinkerballer in this rotation now to go with four RHs including three power pitchers. The Cardinals have made a point of seeking out sinkerballers and I don't know why the Reds haven't done the same
    Maloney might throw a sinker ball, but he doesn't get many groundballs. He is getting 35% ground balls, 25% line drives and 40% fly balls. So 65% of the balls he has put in play against him are in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Maloney might throw a sinker ball, but he doesn't get many groundballs. He is getting 35% ground balls, 25% line drives and 40% fly balls. So 65% of the balls he has put in play against him are in the air.
    So he sounds more like Tom Browning than Tommy John.

My point remains that I think this organization needs to stress the sinkerball either in talent or in coaching

Travis Wood has a plus changeup. Maloney's at best is above average.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    Travis Wood has a plus changeup. Maloney's at best is above average.
    Travis Wood has the best change up in the minor leagues and easily the second best in the organization behind only, MAYBE, Edinson Volquez.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Travis Wood has the best change up in the minor leagues and easily the second best in the organization behind only, MAYBE, Edinson Volquez.
    All minor leagues or all Reds minor leagues?

Quote Originally Posted by Grande Donkey View Post
    All minor leagues or all Reds minor leagues?
    All minor leagues. He has far and away the best changeup of every Reds minor leaguer. That contest isn't even close.

Volquez is torturing the Braves with his change-up tonite. If Wood has a change-up anywhere close to that, I am looking forward to seeing him in Cincy in a year or so. Gracious.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Volquez is torturing the Braves with his change-up tonite. If Wood has a change-up anywhere close to that, I am looking forward to seeing him in Cincy in a year or so. Gracious.
    Scout I talked to saw him this year, said its the best change up in baseball thrown by a lefty not named Cole Hamels.... so yeah, its pretty good.

Turn Off Ads?