Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Kind of Fish do you have?

Re: What Kind of Fish do you have?

2 goldfish in an outside pond.

I think we're on about v4 of the fish. Cats got some and the last pair didn't make it over the winter (I put a cattle trough heater in the pond to keep an air hole during Dec.-Feb.).

Come to think of it, we haven't named this pair. Before them was Flash and Dipstick, Jimi and Cleopatra, and Wally and Fiona. Alcohol is usually involved in the naming.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'd really like to switch to a saltwater tank, but they seem to be a lot more work and costly to stock. Any truth to that?

Right now, we have a 20 gallon freshwater tank with a gold molly, silver molly, tinfoil barb, angelfish, 2 cory catfish, 2 striped danios, a blue gourami, and a red neon danio. The tank is dirty with algae, because our two Plectos died a month or two ago, and I haven't found the urge to buy more of them yet. I dread cleaning that thing, so if a salt tank takes more work...I'm not on that boat.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I went to Red Lobster the other night...wait a minute...never mind.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    I'd really like to switch to a saltwater tank, but they seem to be a lot more work and costly to stock. Any truth to that?

Right now, we have a 20 gallon freshwater tank with a gold molly, silver molly, tinfoil barb, angelfish, 2 cory catfish, 2 striped danios, a blue gourami, and a red neon danio. The tank is dirty with algae, because our two Plectos died a month or two ago, and I haven't found the urge to buy more of them yet. I dread cleaning that thing, so if a salt tank takes more work...I'm not on that boat.
    Saltwater is extremely expensive and very hard to keep up on in small tanks. I enjoy the upkeep, but some people think it is too much of a chore. Saltwater is definately not for you if you dread cleaning freshwater tanks. I will tell you that I have some snails in a 20 gallon of mine and the keep the thing really clean so that might be something you want to try. They asexually reproduce, so prepare to have a lot of them in there if you put one in. I have some if you want a couple to try. PM me if interested, although they are really inexpensive to buy if you do get charged for them at a pet store. I know a lot of people who got one in the bag they recieved their fish in. Some people don't like them, I don't mind them because the ones I have are small, and they clean the tank really well.

I've bought a few snails, but I can't keep 'em alive. I can't figure out why either. Even with a good pH level, good nitrite and nitrate levels, and water that tests well, I've killed off 3 seemingly healthy snails. I keep reading horror stories from tank owners who get overrun by snails and snails and snails...but the little buggers don't like me for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    I've bought a few snails, but I can't keep 'em alive. I can't figure out why either. Even with a good pH level, good nitrite and nitrate levels, and water that tests well, I've killed off 3 seemingly healthy snails. I keep reading horror stories from tank owners who get overrun by snails and snails and snails...but the little buggers don't like me for some reason.
    What kind of snails did you buy?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Swedish Fish

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    What kind of snails did you buy?
    Whatever they have at Wal-Mart and Jack's Aquarium. I think we've had two snails from Wal-Mart, one from Jack's, and one from a local pet store.

I have two small goldfish in a 29 gallon tank. I have had fancy tropical fish before but have found that the more I pay for fish, the quicker they die.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Well, I've decided to go full out on my 55 Gallon aquarium and go saltwater with reef and fish. I've had it running for about 6-7 months with metal halide lighting, but have decided to go T5 instead. So far, I have two black line ocellarius clowns, a 3 stripe damsel and a yellow tang. I also have 3 Nassarius snails, 5 Cerith snails, 6-8 Margarita snails, A sand sifting starfish, Tiger Pistol Shrimp and a Long Tenacle anemone.

I do have some questions for any reefers on here. I'm going to start with some soft corals, maybe some polyps. First I want to make sure I have the lighting right. I have more than enough lighting, in fact I'm worried about having too much. I have a 432 watt T5 system with LED moon lighting. My main question is how you would set up the timers for the lights. The Actinic lights are on a seperate cord as well as the 10K day lighting and LEDs.

There is so much information on the internet, but its all so different. What have the reefers on here had success with?

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I love grouper, snapper, hake, cod, salmon. Love 'em all.

If I have to choose I'll have the monkfish.

I swear, it's delicious!
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

monkfish the poor mans lobster

My 5 year old daughter just got hermit crabs for her birthday. She named hers "Heartberry"

She let her 7 year old brother name the other one "Total Explosion"

2 koi in an outside pond, Boo and Scout.

I've managed to keep them alive for 2 years now. I put a little trough heater in the pond over the winter to keep them from getting frozen in solid.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?