Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital Phone Service

Digital Phone Service

I'm currently investigating switching to a digital phone service. I have my HS cable internet via Charter Communications who now offers digital phone service.

I currently have my local and long distance with Sprint. And we also have Verizon Wireless cellphones, which we use for all our long distance calling. We have the family plan with 1500 anytime minutes which we never come close to using up each month because those we do call, which aren't many, are also Verizon customers, so it doesn't cost you anything.

And we're not a family that even uses our phones much.

It's more about saving money, so I'm thinking of dumping Sprint.

I'm also going to look into Vonnage also.

So I'm interested in what other people's opinions are? Advantages? Disadvantages?
    Last edited by GAC; 05-30-2008 at 07:19 PM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Digital Phone Service

I have TW digital phone service and have yet to have an issues with it at all. The only issue you may have is if the cable were to go out for whatever reason. That usually does not happen very often. You would still have your cellphones for the short amount of time the cable may be off.
    Matta = Really good

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Sounds like you would be a good candidate to use Vonage. It has lower monthly cost than most cable company products. The only reason I don't use it is that it's incompatible with my security system.

Not using your phones much, have you considered dropping the landline altogether and just going with wireless phones?
    /r/reds

I use Voiceline by net2phone. Good quality. Few downtime.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

We have Vonage at home. I never use it, but I don't hear any complaints from my wife.

I have a different cable company here but our cable phone is great especially since we have family all over the place and its like cell service (in fact they simply sublet the service themselves from MCI) in that long distance is free. If your cable or your electric go out you lose phone service. That's been very infrequent and only for a few minutes. I especially recommend it if you have a lot of long distance calls.

I rarely lose cable service; but if/when I do we have cell phones. So I don't see that as a problem.

I have thought seriously about dropping Sprint altogether and just going with our cell phones; but I want to keep our basic phone service, and digital phone, which includes both local and long distance for a straight, lower fee seems the route to go.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Vonage only makes sense if you make a lot of LD calls.

You can probably get that with your cells.

I dropped LD on the land line and left only basic local service on that. For 911 and stuff.

For domestic LD : Cell phones (ATT family plan)
    For International LD: Skype
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I use Teleblend VOIP - never had a problem, good sound quality and reliable. Runs about $15 a month or so.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

I used to be on Sunrocket. Loved the cost, loved the web interface for managing your system (calls, forwarding, blocked nubers). When they went all Skybus, I switched to Joiphone, and while I have not had any problems, the web interface could not be worse.

Are there any Sunrocket folks, or other Voip folks who love their Web interface?
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I used to be on Sunrocket. Loved the cost, loved the web interface for managing your system (calls, forwarding, blocked nubers). When they went all Skybus, I switched to Joiphone, and while I have not had any problems, the web interface could not be worse.

Are there any Sunrocket folks, or other Voip folks who love their Web interface?
    I was on Sunrocket too. Voiceline let me flash my gizmo device to their system and they gave me 12 free months of service because I had a two year contract with Sunrocket. I also disputed my sunrocket charge with my credit card company and got that credited back to me. I have been paying nothing but the $1.06 tax since last year. I didn't go with Teleblend because they are just Sunrocket with a new name. Same people behind sunrocket moved over to teleblend.

While the cable doesn't go out super often, when it does it takes days to fix. At least around here it does, and I have Time Warner. I don't use the phone much, I'm thinking about just dumping my landline all together and just using my cell.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

I switched to digital phone service about 6 months ago. Got the package deal from Time Warner (digital phone, Road Runner and digital cable). Have not had a problem yet. If we did, like GAC mentioned, we all have cell phones. I now pay $20 less a month for the TW package than I did for all three things (TV, phone, internet) before. And I have upgraded the cable (standard to digital) and the internet (snail to RR). It was a no-brainer for me and I kick myself for not doing it a lot sooner.

Just do it, GAC!
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

We use Vonage GAC and enjoy it. We transfered from Qwest, and literally for half of what we were paying for Qwest's DSL, local phone and long distance package, I now have Vonage and my local cable internet. Couldn't be happier.

Vonage does have some quirks - and the Voice mail system I have noticed does sound like you are listening to it on the web from time to time. But other than that, I couldn't tell any difference between my former line and my current one.

What does a typical monthly Vonage bill look like after they add the taxes and surcharges on to that $24.99?

If I drop my long distance service with Sprint and just go with the local (because we use our cell phones for all long distance), my bill would be around $32.

Turn Off Ads?