Turn Off Ads?

Thread: error?

error?

They gave Chipper an error on that last play and not a hit to Phillips. Wow, tough ruling there, that ball was hammered.. I'd bet the official scorer might review that one and change it to a hit. Not sure how you field a ball hit that hard when you're playing on the grass at third.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: error?

Yeah, that definitely was NOT an error.

The play before that one was closer to being an error.

I thought it went right through his legs. I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bucknutdet View Post
    They gave Chipper an error on that last play and not a hit to Phillips. Wow, tough ruling there, that ball was hammered.. I'd bet the official scorer might review that one and change it to a hit. Not sure how you field a ball hit that hard when you're playing on the grass at third.
    I sit right behind the official scorer during the game. That play was originally ruled a hit by Phillips but it was changed after being reviewed. I saw the slow motion reply myself. The ball hit off of Chippers glove as it passed between his legs so it was ruled as an error.
    "Rounding Third and Heading for Home"

That ball was scortched. There is no way that is an error.

maybe it should be re-reviewed, because the chances of making that play are about 1 in 20. Lousy call by the scorer even if it touched his glove.

That ball was hammered, and Jones had a very small chance of playing it...

If it glances off his glove, it's an error (which it didn't)

That's a base hit and an RBI

I was at the game. The ball went right between his legs. I thought it was an error. B-Phil scorched it, yes, but it was right at him. If I was the official scorer I'd give him an error on that play just because he's Chipper Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by scounts22 View Post
    I was at the game. The ball went right between his legs. I thought it was an error. B-Phil scorched it, yes, but it was right at him. If I was the official scorer I'd give him an error on that play just because he's Chipper Jones.
    I was there too and I have to disagree. If he were playing regular depth I would agree with you but they were drawn in and as you said that ball was hammered straight at him. I don't know of any 3rd baseman that could make that play on a routine basis.

Just because a fielder gets his glove on the ball, but misses, doesn't make it necessarily an error. They need to consider how hard it was hit and what the likelihood of catching it is. Maybe it was a miracle that Jones even got a piece of it? I think it was a hit. Bad decision.

Most balls that are hit to 3rd are scorched thats why it's called "The Hot Corner" the ball wasn't hit to the left or right of him it went right through his legs. E5

Griffey's grounder to chipper was much more catchable than Brandon's IMO

Turn Off Ads?