Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marty's call of Bruce walkoff?

Marty's call of Bruce walkoff?

I really want this mp3! Matt, or anyone else able to supply it???????

Thanks!
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Marty's call of Bruce walkoff?

It wasn't Marty making the call. It was the Cowboy and it was more matter of fact than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    It wasn't Marty making the call. It was the Cowboy and it was more matter of fact than anything.
    awwww that sucks...oh well, nevermind
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    awwww that sucks...oh well, nevermind
    I have the exact same feeling. Jeff shouldn't be allowed near a microphone.

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    I'm not really down on Brantley. He brings some intelligence to his game calling (frankly, he would make a good coach, IMO). I have two complaints. The first is his constant use of the same phrases in his calling; the primary one being "right down Broadway".

The other is more significant and it's precisely showed in his call last night. He has a terrible, terrible habit of calling the result and not describing the action that's leading up to the result. So last night's call was something along the lines of "there it is" or something like that. The crescendo of drama was completely absent. It's maddening because the picture in your mind's eye has been completely short circuited. Nuxie would go crazy, but he'd be telling you the story as it unfolded (even with his "get out here" calls). It's really the worst part of Brantley's game calling and somebody needs to work with him on it. Ultimately calling a ballgame is telling a story and he's not doing that.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Brantley should do color on TV and that is it.

He cannot do play by play, especially on the radio.

I'm surprised that Marty wasn't doing the 10th inning. Isn't that unusual?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I'm not really down on Brantley. He brings some intelligence to his game calling
    I remember a Reds triva question when the question was something like..."which of these former Reds players became the manager for the Giants and led them to a division championship?"

Jeff picked somebody and when Marty told him the answer was somebody else, Jeff said "Oh I didn't consider him because he wasn't a former Red." Marty was stunned and spent several minutes explaining to Jeff that the question was "Which of these FORMER REDS...." Jeff would have none of it and it sounded like Marty was just about done with Jeff.

I'm not really down on Brantley. He brings some intelligence to his game calling (frankly, he would make a good coach, IMO). I have two complaints. The first is his constant use of the same phrases in his calling; the primary one being "right down Broadway".

The other is more significant and it's precisely showed in his call last night. He has a terrible, terrible habit of calling the result and not describing the action that's leading up to the result. So last night's call was something along the lines of "there it is" or something like that. The crescendo of drama was completely absent. It's maddening because the picture in your mind's eye has been completely short circuited. Nuxie would go crazy, but he'd be telling you the story as it unfolded (even with his "get out here" calls). It's really the worst part of Brantley's game calling and somebody needs to work with him on it. Ultimately calling a ballgame is telling a story and he's not doing that.
    I will say, having watched the replay, there wasn't a lot of drama on that one. Bruce CRUSHED and it was 20 rows up on a rocket! That said, he has to do something for the listener.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    I will say, having watched the replay, there wasn't a lot of drama on that one. Bruce CRUSHED and it was 20 rows up on a rocket! That said, he has to do something for the listener.
    I agree it was a no doubter and you're right, you've got to walk us through the drama.

Just as a comparison, I went back to the Cleveland game with Dunn's home run. The video has Thom doing the call. Another no doubter, but here's Thom's telling the very immediate story: "High drive and Dunn has beaten the Indians again!" Now granted, Thom was doing the TV broadcast and had the image to go with it. Again, yesterday, it was "In the air and the Reds win".

I can't find the audio of Brantley's call (or for that matter any of the other games - they used to include audio clips along with the video in the past), but it was no description at all. It was something like "That's it" or simply "the Reds win".
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    I'm surprised that Marty wasn't doing the 10th inning. Isn't that unusual?
    Marty never did the 10th. Remember Billy Bates?

I agree it was a no doubter and you're right, you've got to walk us through the drama.

Just as a comparison, I went back to the Cleveland game with Dunn's home run. The video has Thom doing the call. Another no doubter, but here's Thom's telling the very immediate story: "High drive and Dunn has beaten the Indians again!" Now granted, Thom was doing the TV broadcast and had the image to go with it. Again, yesterday, it was "In the air and the Reds win".

I can't find the audio of Brantley's call (or for that matter any of the other games - they used to include audio clips along with the video in the past), but it was no description at all. It was something like "That's it" or simply "the Reds win".
    Here was Thom:

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/media...00805312808444

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Marty never did the 10th. Remember Billy Bates?
    Marty would never do a 10th inning. It's against his religion to do more than 2 innings in a row. It's just too taxing...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Marty would never do a 10th inning. It's against his religion to do more than 2 innings in a row. It's just too taxing...
    He's done the entire game by himself before...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    He's done the entire game by himself before...
    I believe he even did one this year in spring training by himself.

Turn Off Ads?