Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Weak NL Central?

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Weak NL Central?

Just noticed that the supposedly "weak" NL Central has the best overall record out of the three NL divisions.

Central 19 over .500
    East 9 over .500
    West 31 under .500

Looks as if the West is the new Central.

Just thought it was interesting. If the trend continues, forget about 85 wins being good for a division title (but perhaps a WC).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Weak NL Central?

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see the Reds end up in 2nd. I don't think we have a chance to catch the Cubs, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I'm still waiting for the Cards to come back to Earth. I refuse to believe they're as good as their record says.

I was just thinking that today.
    If the Reds were in the West. 26-29 would be good enough for third place 4 games back of the D-Backs.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Just noticed that the supposedly "weak" NL Central has the best overall record out of the three NL divisions.

Central 19 over .500
    East 9 over .500
    West 31 under .500

Looks as if the West is the new Central.
    The NL West is back to their old tricks. Remember in 2005, when the Padres won the division that no one else wanted to win with an 82-80 record?
    sorry we're boring

This is why you should never plan for your division to stink. Sometimes it works out, but often it doesn't. Meanwhile the NL West is awful. No one's talking much about it, but the DBacks are in free-fall (2-9 over their last 11).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Porkchop Sandwiches

The concept of a weak 6-team division always bugged me, especially when you have perennial winners St Louis and Houston, not to mention the recently budget irrelevant Cubs.

Here is something to keep in mind for all those who think this division is the Cubs' to lose:

The Cubs one kryptonite seems to be playing on the road, and while they are now an amazing 13 games over .500 just 55 games into the season, they have played 10 more games at home than on the road, while the Reds (also a strong home team) to date have played 2 more road games and have gotten 2 horrendous West Coast trips out of the way. And the Reds seem to be just now finding themselves. I am hardly ready to concede the division.

reds need to shoot for .500 or better by the all star break. if they can position themselves there they can decide if they want to make a trade to push them over the top. i still feel the cubs are going to fall back a bit as the rest of the division beats up on each other. also i haven't looked up the rest of the central's american league opponets but that will come into play as well. the reds sweeping cleveland was a good start. its a shame we don't get to play the royals.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo View Post
    The concept of a weak 6-team division always bugged me, especially when you have perennial winners St Louis and Houston, not to mention the recently budget irrelevant Cubs.

I agree. It would be a fluke for a 6 team division to be weak. Forget the NL Central as being weak this year. It's not.

As for the Reds, let's shoot for getting over .500 and then if they can contend for a WC all the better. Catching the Cubs would be a fairy tale, but...who knows

I found it ironic that the everyone had been calling the NL Central week yet pimping the Cubs to win the world series. It was like in one segment someone would mention how the NL Central was up for grabs but 5 minutes later mention how the Cubs were a WS contender.

Turn Off Ads?