Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25

Thread: 2 more promotions

  1. #16
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: 2 more promotions

    I would love to see a scouting report on Ramon Geronimo. He's a bit older for the level (24) but he's totally dominating FSL hitters right now. I'm curious to know what kind of stuff he has. He pitched in Dayton last season so surely someone on here has seen him pitch. If so, could someone enlighten us on how hard he throws and what other pitches he throws?
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    25,047

    Re: 2 more promotions

    Walt promotes bullpen arms. Aside from Izzy the guy has built his bullpens from within--knows when an arm has a bullpen ceiling and promotes. He doesn't necessarily do the same with starters.

    In fact, he wisely broke Wainwright in the "bullpen-to-starter" way.

    Still, I'd hardly call these two promotions a sign of "aggressiveness."

  4. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,874

    Re: 2 more promotions

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Walt promotes bullpen arms. Aside from Izzy the guy has built his bullpens from within--knows when an arm has a bullpen ceiling and promotes. He doesn't necessarily do the same with starters.

    In fact, he wisely broke Wainwright in the "bullpen-to-starter" way.

    Still, I'd hardly call these two promotions a sign of "aggressiveness."
    More aggressive than previous regime, let's put it that way. Last year a lot of movement took place at mid season. This year earlier. And based on performance some GMs would not have moved Roenicke and Watson just yet. Glad Jocketty did so.

  5. #19
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: 2 more promotions

    From Trent:

    * Minor league news: Roenicke takes the spot of Tyler Pelland, who was put on the disabled list with a left tricep inflammation.

    http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  6. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,843

    Re: 2 more promotions

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I don't mind it with position players and relievers, but that sort of aggressive promotion schedule has failed the Reds in the starter development arena for decades. It doesn't work and no amount of repeating the mistake is going to make it work.
    I don't think, thus far, Jocketty has been overly aggressive with the promoting. He's essentially promoting the players that should be promoted whereas Wayne would've likely waited longer. I do agree with you though that I don't want to see any pitchers promoted that shouldn't be. I think thus far though he's handled the pitchers appropriately.

  7. #21
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    5,354

    Re: 2 more promotions

    I would bet a guy like Guevara would have gotten a chance under Walt.

  8. #22
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: 2 more promotions

    after attending the first two games of the Altanta series there is little doubt that Mercker and Weathers are running on fumes. mercker fastball was 85-87 and weathers about the same.

    I hope Fogg's start was his last as a Red.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

  9. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,579

    Re: 2 more promotions

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I don't mind it with position players and relievers, but that sort of aggressive promotion schedule has failed the Reds in the starter development arena for decades. It doesn't work and no amount of repeating the mistake is going to make it work.

    Totally agree.

  10. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,579

    Re: 2 more promotions

    Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    after attending the first two games of the Altanta series there is little doubt that Mercker and Weathers are running on fumes. mercker fastball was 85-87 and weathers about the same.

    I hope Fogg's start was his last as a Red.

    Those type of fastballs aren't going to work against the next 4 series...Phillies, Marlins, Cardinals, and Red Sox. They better have some major Veteran Savvy.

  11. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,344

    Re: 2 more promotions

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Those type of fastballs aren't going to work against the next 4 series...Phillies, Marlins, Cardinals, and Red Sox. They better have some major Veteran Savvy.
    GAWD that's an awful thought. I'm feeling a little sick now.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

    ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25