Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bruce Historical Comparison?

Re: Bruce Historical Comparison?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    C'mon you guys no bettter than this.......you don't compare Jay Bruce to historical figures, you compare historical figures to Jay Bruce.

If he keeps this up the comparison will be with a certain Jewish carpenter from Nazareth a few years back.
    I think he played on the same club as the famed double play combo
    Hal & Al Eluia, the Cuban wonders. Their play brought great rejoicing to the fans.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    If he keeps this up the comparison will be with a certain Jewish carpenter from Nazareth a few years back.
    You mean if he goes through a slump or racks up a few strikeouts, the fans will crucify him?

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    You mean if he goes through a slump or racks up a few strikeouts, the fans will crucify him?
    ouch!

But I did see Jay Bruce walking on the Ohio river last night while I was having a steak at Bar Louie...
    sorry we're boring

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Joe Charbeneau comes to mind. He was the AL Rookie of the Year in 1979 or '80, but was out of baseball a couple of years later.
    That's a good one.

Katharine Sharp of ESPN research notes that Jay Bruce's 1.000 slugging percentage in his first six big league games is the second-highest of any player during the divisional era (since 1969). Only Mike Jacobs' 1.050 in 2005 was better. Bruce went 2-for-3 with his second career homer and sure looks the real deal, doesn't he?
    http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/bas...age=ootb080602

I'd argue his OBP is even more impressive than his slugging %.

I got this from Sean Foreman (President, Baseball Reference) in an email yesterday:

How about Jay Bruce?! By my count, he could be the first player I've found who had more than 100 AB's and had a .300 BA or higher for the entirety of his career (first AB to last). My search only goes back to 1956, though.
    What Foreman is saying is that if Bruce's career batting average never dips below .300, he'd be the first player to accomplish that in over 50 years, perhaps the first player to ever accomplish that.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Today's Jay Bruce Notes from the Reds:

Last night Jay Bruce homered for the third consecutive game...he became the second player this season under the age of 22 to homer in 3 straight games...Ari's Justin Upton did it in April...this is only the fourth time in Major League history that 2 players, both under the age of 22, homered in 3 straight team games...it also happened in 1929 (Mel Ott & Jimmie Foxx), 1959 (Orlando Cepeda & Willie McCovey) and 2001 (Albert Pujols & Adam Dunn)...courtesy Elias Sports Bureau.

A Week To Remember: Last night Jay Bruce ended his first week in the Major Leagues with 15 hits and 3 homers...the only player in Major League history in the last 80 years to have produced that many hits and home runs a week into his career was Mitchell Page for the 1977 Athletics (3hr, 16h)...courtesy Elias Sports Bureau.

http://beta.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

Turn Off Ads?