Turn Off Ads?

Thread: More on Holliday

More on Holliday

Should Rox Deal Holliday?

The Denver Post has split opinions on whether or not the Rockies should deal Matt Holliday this season. Columnist Troy E. Renick says the Rockies have been bad "from top to bottom". He cites the rotation, situational hitting, leaky bullpen, and dealing with pressure as problem spots and that they would need to go "70-36 in their final 106 games" to be in contention.

As MLBTR has covered here, Woody Paige reports that the Rockies can't tie up $40MM in three position players and that Scott Boras won't accept a hometown discount. Paige proposes,

Holliday would be a significant addition for Cleveland, and the Rockies also could send best friend Garrett Atkins or Brad Hawpe... [for] starting pitcher Cliff Lee (8-1, 1.88 ERA and four superb pitches), a middle reliever and an outfield prospect. The Rox, depending on the second player in the deal, play Ian Stewart at third or in left, and Ryan Spilborghs becomes a full-time starting outfielder who could be the next Holliday.

Alternatively, Mark Kiszla believes trading him would not bring enough back to justify not re-signing him and that trading him would send the wrong message to players and fans. Instead, they should actively work to re-sign the slugger through negotiations. Kiszla's argument:

"When the Texas Rangers decided it could not pay to keep powerful young first baseman Mark Teixeira a year ago, the offer the Rangers finally accepted from Atlanta was for a rookie catcher and four minor-league prospects."

Interestingly, Jon Heyman thinks the Rockies won't be able to get as good a deal as the Rangers got for Teixeira, a deal that's not good enough for Mark Kiszla.

By Nat Boyle

MLBTRADERUMORS.COM

If I were Jocketty I would be all over this one. If Cleveland has the horses to bring Holliday and/or Atkins I would think the Reds could at least match in any deal. An acquisition of Holliday would certainly set the Reds up for a serious run in 2009 and then they would have the option of signing him long term to team with Bruce. That would be a pretty exciting outfield.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: More on Holliday

I love Holliday, but he really doesn't fit into the Reds defensive future. Everyone projects Bruce as a right fielder, and I don't think Holliday plays center does he? He solves the right handed bat problem, but I don't see an outfield of Dunn Holliday and Bruce, as nasty as that would be. Now, if the Reds, for some reason, don't resign Dunn, then this deal would make a lot of sense.

Most do say longterm Bruce should be a RF but with an offensive outfield of Dunn, Bruce, and Holiday who cares? Its not as if Bruce is a horrible outfielder. Even though a few of our young lefty hitters do seem to hit lefties well we do need another righty dependable bat in the lineup. Encarnacion COULD be that bat but has been way too inconsistent.

Bailey and another prospect or two for him? I would love if Bailey would pan out and stick around but it doesnt appear that the Reds and he are on the same page and a move might be beneficial to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Orodle View Post
    Most do say longterm Bruce should be a RF but with an offensive outfield of Dunn, Bruce, and Holiday who cares? Its not as if Bruce is a horrible outfielder. Even though a few of our young lefty hitters do seem to hit lefties well we do need another righty dependable bat in the lineup. Encarnacion COULD be that bat but has been way too inconsistent.

Bailey and another prospect or two for him? I would love if Bailey would pan out and stick around but it doesnt appear that the Reds and he are on the same page and a move might be beneficial to him.
    It's that kind of attitude in Cincinnati that's been killing our pitching staff since 1999 (that last time we had a good defense.)

Having said that, if the Reds decide they aren't intent on signing Dunn (not sure why that would be the case, but...), I could see moving a Bailey and Stubbs package for Holliday. Any price higher than that would be too high, Holliday isn't an elite hitter away from Coors. If the price was any higher than that, there are probably cheaper options to be had (Florida's Josh Willingham.)
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

I'm more interested in Atkins given the fact that Edwin isn't the future at third base.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AdamDunn View Post
    I'm more interested in Atkins given the fact that Edwin isn't the future at third base.
    No, the future at third base is coming from the group of Juan Francisco, Adam Rosales and Brandon Waring. All three have some flaws, but they all also have plenty of time to correct them. Francisco needs to learn to walk (and it's starting to come around), Rosales needs to hit a bit more consistantly (he's streaky now...like Edwin), and Waring just needs to prove it higher up in the system.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

I'd add Todd Frazier to that list of potential third basemen, although he could end up in the outfield too.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    I'd add Todd Frazier to that list of potential third basemen.
    I don't think so. The Reds have already switched him to a corner OF spot at Sarasota. He's still getting some IF work, but it looks like they'll try to make the switch for him.

~~updated~~

I did a bit of checking and so far, they've played Todd Frazier at 1B (6 games), 3B (4 games) and LF (6 games) about equally. They even tried him out at SS for 2 games recently (I thought they gave up on SS for him...guess not).

He did not play in the last two Sarasota games however. No idea why though. Injury? Promotion...I'd HIGHLY doubt that. Days off for rest...2 in a row...I doubt that too.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 06-01-2008 at 12:31 PM.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Turn Off Ads?