Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I think we just got our answer to the 5th starter...

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I think we just got our answer to the 5th starter...

From McCoy's blog:

"Who starts Thursday in Philadelphia, Fogg’s turn?

Manager Dusty Baker was coy about it, but the guess here is that it is finally Homer Bailey time. Bailey was scheduled to pitch for the Class AAA Louisville Bats today, but he was scratched in favor of Daryl Thompson. "

While I'm not thrilled with this, I guess it IS about time to fish or cut bait. His last outting was pretty solid (after about 5 stinkers in a row). I just hope the fans aren't OVERLY optimistic. He's still young and he's gonna get rocked occasionally. Pretty similar to Cueto. Just don't expect Volquez-type results.

Here's the article from McCoy:
    -----------------------------
    Home Bailey is pitching Thursday - in Philadelphia, not Louisville.

When the Cincinnati Reds said they were putting Josh Fogg on the disabled list Sunday, I was tempted to ask, “With what, inflammation of the earned run average?”

But that would be cruel and he says he has back spasms. I’ve had back spasms. Nothing funny about it, especially when you can’t untie your shoes.

To replace him, the Reds called up relief pitcher Gary Majewski, which begs the question. Who starts Thursday in Philadelphia, Fogg’s turn?

Manager Dusty Baker was coy about it, but it is finally Homer Bailey time. Bailey was scheduled to pitch for the Class AAA Louisville Bats today and did, but only ppitched two innings and was pulled.

He’ll face the Phillies Thursday in Philadelphia.

“After Saturday’s game, Fogg complained about his back,” said Baker. “We need some pitching help bad, so we couldn’t wait. We put Fogg on the DL and called up Majewski.”

Next start?

“Scuffling,” said Baker. “We’ll come up with somethng. We have a few days before we have to come up with something. There are a couple of guys lined up.

“Going into Philly…”

Somebody mentioned the Phillies are averaging like 12 runs a game over the last week and Baker said, “Be quiet, man. Every time I look in the paper, it’s like, oh my god. That’s why we have to get our pitching together.”

The Reds, Holy Terrors at home, are Holy Terribles on the road and Monday open an eight-game trip - four in Philly (Hello, Jim’s Cheesesteaks) and four in Florida (Hello rain showers and humidity).

What do the Reds need to lift the road anvil off their shoulders.

“Try not to think about, just play hard,” said Baker. “Score early, play hard, play defense, close out games you are supposed to close out. Don’t let it get into your head. I’ve seen it get into some teams’ heads. And the law of averages are on our side.”

Baker’s assessment of one of Atlanta’s young players:

“I’ll tell you who is fast becoming a good ballplayer is that Johnson kid for Atlanta (second baseman Kelly Johnson),” said Baker. “All I know is I see him running around the bases a lot. I yell at him, ‘Get on the bench. I’m tired of you running around the bases.’”

Baker, suspended two games in San Diego for bumping an umpire, watched Bobby Cox get ejected Saturday.

“I watch Bobby,” he said. “Bobby is the King of Ejections. I learned something. He crossed his arms and kept his distance from the umpire. I was really studying Bobby. I really was. I ain’t lying to you. I was like, ‘OK, he was careful not to turn into anybody, he backed up before he turned so he wouldn’t hit anybody.’”

When Thom Brennaman wanted to interview Ken Griffey Jr. about 600 home runs (he had 599), Griffey recoiled. He pointed to several writers in the clubhouse and asked each one individually, “Have I talked to you about it? Have I talked to you about it? Have I talked to you about it?”

Each one said no.

“I’m highly superstitutious, very superstitious,” said Griffey. “I’ve sold cars and I’ve sold houses because of bad luck. The only thing sacred is my wife and kids. I sell everything else like cattle.”
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 06-01-2008 at 01:18 PM.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I think we just got our answer to the 5th starter...

I guess we will have to try it and see. The good thing about this game is that anything can happen. Lets hope Bailey can start showing people why he was so highly touted.
    Whatcha gonna do, brother, when Brennemania runs wild on you!!

Okay, I'm a bit puzzled. Hal McCoy states that they've pulled Homer out in the 2nd inning, but MiLB has the game listed as starting tonight. Anybody know if the game has actually started and if Homer has been truthfully pulled?
    2014 predictions:
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Man. I was really hoping for Maloney. I would much rather have a lefty facing Howard and Utley than a righty that got rocked in Philly last year. But what do I know.

I would rather see Maloney first but I will root for Bailey if it is him.
    Bailey facing all those lefties would make for a tough first start.
    Wasnt it the phils that tattooed him last year in pihlly ?

Okay, this is starting to tick me off. Does anybody know if the Bats game has started yet? Everywhere I look it says it starts tonite at 6:15. I'm trying to figure out why in the world Hal McCoy would be so incompetent as to write false info about Homer being pulled after 2 innings. A little help here, I'm stumped.
    2014 predictions:
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Why not? I sort of agree with Pete on this one. When they interviewed Rose during the Dodger game, he implied the Reds were overthinking this one. He said if Bailey is supposed to be that good, bring him up and let him work it out like Cueto is working it out. What do they have to lose? They're a last place team(at the time of Pete's interview).

Quote Originally Posted by rocko View Post
    I would rather see Maloney first but I will root for Bailey if it is him.
    Bailey facing all those lefties would make for a tough first start.
    Wasnt it the phils that tattooed him last year in pihlly ?
    Off the top of my head, I think it was 1.2 IP with 6 ER.

got alil captain in u?

Homer better get it together here's his chance. Nobody expects him to come out and throw a no hitter but we need a quality start out of the kid. He needs to command all of his pitches not only his fastball. Needs to mix speeds and keep the ball down in that bandbox of a ballpark in philly.

While I'm not thrilled with this, I guess it IS about time to fish or cut bait.

Course your not thrilled Hal,you slammed him in your last article about Bailey.How do you ''fish or cut bait'' with a kid who was rushed to the majors, and was almost God like around Reds fans awaiting his call up.You have the young talent you hone it and give it time.Not to mention the Reds minor leagues aint exactly been churning out Cy Young winners in the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy View Post
    While I'm not thrilled with this, I guess it IS about time to fish or cut bait.

Course your not thrilled Hal,you slammed him in your last article about Bailey.How do you ''fish or cut bait'' with a kid who was rushed to the majors, and was almost God like around Reds fans awaiting his call up.You have the young talent you hone it and give it time.Not to mention the Reds minor leagues aint exactly been churning out Cy Young winners in the last decade.
    Why is everyone slamming Hal? Bailey is immature and hasn't produced like he should at the AAA level. End of story. There's no defending poor Homer.

The Bats game starts at 6:15 from everything I've seen, and I live in Louisville and read the paper, and read about the Bats winning last night. 6:15. There's an advertisement for today's game. 6:15. The calendar. 6:15.

I don't see where he's getting 2 innings and pulled, that's completely fabricated.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    Why is everyone slamming Hal?
    Quote from LouisvilleCARDS: "The Bats game starts at 6:15 from everything I've seen, and I live in Louisville and read the paper, and read about the Bats winning last night. 6:15. There's an advertisement for today's game. 6:15. The calendar. 6:15.

I don't see where he's getting 2 innings and pulled, that's completely fabricated. "

-----------
    THAT'S why people are slamming Hal. That's hack work right there. Complete HACK WORK.
    2014 predictions:
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

So he's wrong about Bailey? I'm just amused why everyone defends Homer.

It's not that people are defending homer per say. It's just that Hal seems to have a vendetta against the kid. Is he surly with the media? Yeah. There's no arguing that. But let's look at it from another angle. He got rushed to the bigs last year. That's obvious. He was over-hyped by the Reds and some young kids can't handle that. That's obvious too. He was throwing unbelievably well in Louisville until that bad 6 game stretch. While at the same time we had struggling starters in Cincy but Homer gets ignored with the Bats. He responded poorly. But people need to remember that the kid is only 22 years old. Give him a freaking break. Is he ready for the Reds yet? Probably not, but that's still no excuse for Hal's constantly slamming him. That's bush-league reporting IMO. I don't think Homer needs defending or crucifying...he needs to be left alone and let him perform like any other minor leaguer gets to do. That's all.
    2014 predictions:
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Turn Off Ads?