Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jim Kelch added to Reds broadcast team

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Jim Kelch added to Reds broadcast team

From Lance's blog:

http://www.thelotd.com/lance/blog

Class AAA Louisville Bats veteran announcer Jim Kelch will join Hall of Famer Marty Brennaman or Jeff Brantley on 14 Reds on Radio broadcasts this season...Kelch is in his 20th season as the play-by-play voice of the Louisville club...he previously worked Major League games as a fill-in for the Reds and St. Louis Cardinals broadcast teams...the Peoria, Illinois native began his broadcast career with the Class A Peoria Chiefs in 1984...he joined the Bats in 1989 after a 2-year stint as broadcaster for the Class AA Chattanooga Lookouts...Kelch also is the radio voice of the University of Louisville's women's basketball team...for the Reds, he is scheduled to work 5/12-5/15, 5/30, 6/1, 7/18-7/19, 9/2-9/4 and 9/18-9/20.
    What's up with this?

Just filling in for vacations, etc?

Matt, anything you can share with us?
    sorry we're boring

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jim Kelch added to Reds broadcast team

doesn't make a lot of sense unless someone is on the way out because there are already 5 members on the current broadcast team(Marty, Thom, Chris, Jeff, George).

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    doesn't make a lot of sense unless someone is on the way out because there are already 5 members on the current broadcast team(Marty, Thom, Chris, Jeff, George).
    My understanding is that Chris and George can only appear on TV -- they aren't contracted for Radio work. Marty doesn't appear on TV -- he's only contracted for Radio work.

Thom and Jeff are the only "floating" (TV/Radio) members of the broadcast team.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I wonder if this isn't a precursor to Marty starting to go off into the sunset?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    My understanding is that Chris and George can only appear on TV -- they aren't contracted for Radio work. Marty doesn't appear on TV -- he's only contracted for Radio work.

5 guys to cover 4 nightly slots seems like more than enough.

He's likely filling in the gaps that Joe Nuxhall used to cover the past several years.

I thought maybe after the JTM commercials Chris had been "discovered" and was on his way to Hollywood.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I'm kinda hoping a certain Cowboy can find his back to Ole Miss.

I think the main reason they want another member is to fill in with Thom being off for Fox games on the weekends and for the Big Ten network later in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

I heard Welsh doing radio earlier in the year. Maybe that was just a special deal?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I heard Welsh doing radio earlier in the year. Maybe that was just a special deal?
    I remember that. They said during the game that it was the first time Marty and Chris had done a game together. Jeff had to take off on some sort of emergency, and Thom was out of town with Fox I believe.

Marty's taking some games off as well - like today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    From Lance's blog:

http://www.thelotd.com/lance/blog

What's up with this?

Just filling in for vacations, etc?

Matt, anything you can share with us?
    He's doing a handful of games, as Nuxhall did last season....Thom and Jeff probably have some TV dates together, and Marty will take a few games off. Thom will also have to miss some weekends because of Fox TV and Big 10 football, and Jeff may be scheduled to do FSN at the same time. Thom and Jeff may have off days as well throughout the season, I'm not sure what their contracts say.

Jim's only doing 14 games I think.

Nobody's leaving, as much as I'm sure a few of you wish they would
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 05-07-2008 at 01:50 PM.

More importantly, L'ville fans, how is he behind the mic?

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I wonder if this isn't a precursor to Marty starting to go off into the sunset?
    Sadly, I doubt it.

More than likely, this guy will fill in for what Joe used to do.
    Thom has a lot of other commitments, so he will fill in when one of the other four guys can't make it and Thom is not there. It's only 14 games..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?