Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Zack Greinke?

Re: Zack Greinke?

As would I, but I am a smitten kitten with Zack Grienke and what he would be as an anchor for this team's rotation.

2. Turn Off Ads?

We have a fundamental disagreement on the value of Zack Grienke at this point.
    Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    As would I, but I am a smitten kitten with Zack Grienke and what he would be as an anchor for this team's rotation.
    I am with you mem, however realistically would the Reds actually give him that massive blockbuster type extension, I'm skeptical. I don't know though that we could get the kid without including a much bigger piece or 2 that we wouldn't want to part with like Leake and Bruce. If they counter offered Leake, Bruce & Heisey would you? I probably wouldn't go that far, likely 3 of anyone else except Leake, Votto, Bruce and probably Cueto. Which for me is saying something that I could limit myself to just 4.

I'm thinking Volquez, Stubbs & Wood with a lesser prospect with some upside like Francisco would be the minimum.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I'm thinking Volquez, Stubbs & Wood with a lesser prospect with some upside like Francisco would be the minimum.
    Wow, this is way overpaying. Rolen gets hurt, who plays 3rd? What's the rotation, minus Volquez and Wood, assuming Arroyo and Harang are both gone? Who plays center? You're going all in on Greinke with a vastly thinned rotation and an offense that practically falls apart if/when Rolen goes down. I just don't see how this secures the future.

Alex Gordon is already 26 and we have Rolen for 2 more years...Gordon has be pretty bad since getting to the majors in 2007...What's he gonna do the next 2 years that is going to make a huge difference in his abilities that he has shown over the last 4 years at the MLB level. Why invest in that? My personal opinion is that he is a tease and staying away from him would serve us well. If we could obtain Greinke that would be great but I don't think we match up too well with their needs. We really need a power hitter and lot's of bullpen help worse than we need starting pitching...

We really need a power hitter and lot's of bullpen help worse than we need starting pitching...
    Agree, somewhat. I see a core offensive player as the missing piece at this point. The BP isn't as bad as folks think, so long as they have an option behind Cordero.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    Alex Gordon is already 26 and we have Rolen for 2 more years...Gordon has be pretty bad since getting to the majors in 2007...What's he gonna do the next 2 years that is going to make a huge difference in his abilities that he has shown over the last 4 years at the MLB level. Why invest in that? My personal opinion is that he is a tease and staying away from him would serve us well. If we could obtain Greinke that would be great but I don't think we match up too well with their needs. We really need a power hitter and lot's of bullpen help worse than we need starting pitching...
    Gordon has also been bounced up and down to the minors, dealt with a few injuries, had a TON of pressure put on him and, in faact, shown that he can perform at the major league level for stretches in his career. I just think now would be the time to buy low on him.

Also, if he can play LF, then he could platoon in LF and at 3B. Rolen averages what 120-140 games a year? I don't see what that number would go up as he ages in 2011-12.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Wow, this is way overpaying. Rolen gets hurt, who plays 3rd? What's the rotation, minus Volquez and Wood, assuming Arroyo and Harang are both gone? Who plays center? You're going all in on Greinke with a vastly thinned rotation and an offense that practically falls apart if/when Rolen goes down. I just don't see how this secures the future.
    I don't think Francisco is the answer to Rolen going down. People were frustrated with EE at third, I can only imagine what a steady dose of Francisco would do. I think he still has a huge upside with the bat - but it, in my opinion, won't be at third.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Sorry, to me Juan Francisco isn't a realistic major leaguer but I am willing to take advantage of his perceived value. I am much more a fan of Todd Frazier who I think will be just fine at 3rd, despite the fact he has had a tough season. Heisey would then have to play CF in the short term which I have no qualms with either, he's not gonna cover the ground Drew did but he should be more than adequate. We have some younger guys in the pipeline who can play CF down the road. A vastly thinned rotation? How is that when we lose a total of 1 pitcher above what we are getting back?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

A vastly thinned rotation? How is that when we lose a total of 1 pitcher above what we are getting back?
    As I said in that very same post, "assuming Arroyo and Harang are both gone."

Juan Francisco isn't a realistic major leaguer but I am willing to take advantage of his perceived value. I am much more a fan of Todd Frazier who I think will be just fine at 3rd
    Have to disagree. Frazier is scraping bottom in Louisville, while Francisco continues to put up big power numbers. If I'm rolling the dice on one of these 2 guys, it's the guy who has yet to stumble.

When an elite, young arm becomes available, you really don't worry about which players it will take to acquire him. You just offer what you need to get the job done.

There is no Reds prospect, including Chapman, that I would rather have than Greinke. And he's signed affordably until 2012. That's as long as you want any pitcher signed. If it looks like he'll be great after that, you have time to work out an extension, but not until then. It's the perfect situation.

Greinke would give the Reds not just a TOR starter for two and half years, but a Cy Young candidate for two and half years.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

You'd have to be daft not to throw the kitchen sink at the Royals for Greinke. It's not something that a sensible person would even pause to consider. Which is why it's so unlikely to happen.

The only player I would want to hang on to would be Mesoraco, but I'd pretty much give them whatever they wanted for ZG.

I would do dirty things in order to get Greinke on this team.

Turn Off Ads?