Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds officially exercise options on Arroyo, Gomes, decline Cabrera, Harang's option

Reds officially exercise options on Arroyo, Gomes, decline Cabrera, Harang's option

From Ken Rosenthal:

As expected, #Reds officially exercise Arroyo's $11M club option. GM Jocketty has said he will try to sign Arroyo to extension. #MLB

http://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds officially exercise Arroyo's 2011 option

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From Ken Rosenthal:

As expected, #Reds officially exercise Arroyo's $11M club option.

GM Jocketty has said he will try to sign Arroyo to extension. #MLB

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post

Yeah ... I think I'll trust the Executive of the Year on this one.

Agreed. I'm in favor of picking up the option but I think it's unnecessary to extend him right now.

From the Reds twitter page:

The Reds today exercised the 2011 contract options for Arroyo and Gomes but did not exercise contract options for Harang and Cabrera.

http://twitter.com/CincinnatiReds

Sigh, I hope we're not going to have to put up with another year of Gomes' awful defense and first pitch hacking. He's not a bad guy to have around as a 5th outfielder but if he's the starting left fielder entering 2011 then this offseason will have been a bad one, IMO.

Re: Reds officially exercise options on Arroyo, Gomes, decline Cabrera, Harang's opti

1) if the Reds want to use Gomes as the RH part of a platoon in left or as a bench outfielder this is probably ok (even with his poor defense). He hits LHP much better than RHP.

If the Reds five outfielders next year are Bruce-Stubbs-Gomes-Heisey-Nix then we are in deep doo doo.

One thought: maybe the team is looking to deal Heisey to a team that needs a centerfielder?

2) IMO letting Cabrera go is a good move. I suspect both Janish & Cozart are better than him at this stage of his career.

Re: Reds officially exercise options on Arroyo, Gomes, decline Cabrera, Harang's opti

The Gomes and Cabrera decisions are all about the amount of the option.

Gomes clearly is a value move. You may find a better value on the open market, but you would have to get lucky with someone outperforming the contract. I think everyone agrees the Reds need an upgrade in LF and that Gomes would be best used off the bench, but he isn't the worst fallback option if Walt can't find the right upgrade.

Cabrera, on the other hand, carried too big a price tag with his option. I fully expect the Reds to try to re-sign him to a one-year deal at a smaller number, and I'm fine with that. The guy was an important piece to the puzzle, and I'm not in any way ready to put all my eggs in the Janish or Cozart baskets.

My guess is LF and SS will remain unsettled well into the offseason and quite possibly into spring training.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    If the Reds five outfielders next year are Bruce-Stubbs-Gomes-Heisey-Nix then we are in deep doo doo.
    Just like in 2010?

Just like in 2010?
    I was very, very, very happy with the 2010 season. With that said, I think we need to aim higher in 2011. Instead of aiming for a playoff appearance, we should be shooting for a World Series appearance. In order to do that, the Reds need to upgrade, and IMO, left field is a good place to start.

I was very, very, very happy with the 2010 season. With that said, I think we need to aim higher in 2011. Instead of aiming for a playoff appearance, we should be shooting for a World Series appearance. In order to do that, the Reds need to upgrade, and IMO, left field is a good place to start.
    Yes, but this move really isn't about who plays LF.

The move, as someone said, is a value move.

Gomes had a relatively cheap option. The Reds got the player back for next year at a salary favorable to the team.

It makes sense to exercise such an option. How the player fits in; whether he gets traded; all are future decisions.

But, again, it was sensible to lock him in at the option salary and worry about his role later on.

Agreed with basically all of this. My point was that the Reds will not be in "deep doo-doo" with this outfield. I'm obviously hoping Gomes is not the every day starter.

The Reds today exercised the 2011 contract options for Arroyo and Gomes but did not exercise contract options for Harang and Cabrera.

Sigh, I hope we're not going to have to put up with another year of Gomes' awful defense and first pitch hacking. He's not a bad guy to have around as a 5th outfielder but if he's the starting left fielder entering 2011 then this offseason will have been a bad one, IMO.
    I think you gave similar grades to the 2009 and 2010 trade deadlines and 2009-2010 offseason. Listen to George Michael and have some faith.

So to be clear, you would not have picked up the option?

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    Cabrera, on the other hand, carried too big a price tag with his option. I fully expect the Reds to try to re-sign him to a one-year deal at a smaller number, and I'm fine with that. The guy was an important piece to the puzzle, and I'm not in any way ready to put all my eggs in the Janish or Cozart baskets.
    They have already paid him $1M to avoid his $4M option. Just how cheap do you think he'll sign for?

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Great decision on letting Cabrera walk. I jump face first into the Janish/Cozart SS combo (assuming they can not trade for a SS). I love picking up Gomes' option, as long as he is used as a backup OF. He has power from the right side and is fairly cheap. I understand picking up Arroyo, and now the Reds have legitimate trading chips!

This is going to be a very exciting offseason. Go Reds!

Turn Off Ads?