Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Zack Greinke?

Re: Zack Grienke?

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    What about Grienke, Rosia, Gordon for Bailey, Stubbs, Francisco, Boxberger, Frazier, Joseph, Sapelt?

Just to clarify: that's 6 guys from the likely 2012 roster (all except Boxberger).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Just to clarify: that's 6 guys from the likely 2012 roster (all except Boxberger).
    Yes, and I would absolutely give me them up now or this offseason for an ace, a stud reliever and a talented kid in need of a change of scenery. I think it is a ton of talent to give up and is hopefully enough to get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    What about Grienke, Rosia, Gordon for Bailey, Stubbs, Francisco, Boxberger, Frazier, Joseph, Sapelt?
    What, Brett wasn't available?

Cincy would need to give up WAY more than that, and I don't even know who this guy Rosia is.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    The 2012 roster right now, but other guys will arrive on scene and some of those guys will flame out.
    Go Gators!

You know, I think a Greinke pick-up right now would give this team an extra boost of confidence, after the Edmonds deal, and set them on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    You know, I think a Greinke pick-up right now would give this team an extra boost of confidence, after the Edmonds deal, and set them on fire.
    I doubt Greinke gets all the way through American League waivers and most of the way through National league waivers at this point. If he is acquired, it will most likely be during the off season.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

you're likely right, but one can dream....

I'm resurrecting this thread since it seems that it's just a matter of time before something happens. I don't think it's a question of if a trade will happen. It's more about when and with what team(s).
    Zack Greinke's uncertain future in KC
    October, 16, 2010Oct 1610:20AM

A wave of high-end prospects will hit Kansas City in 2011 and 2012 -- guys like Mike Moustakas and Eric Hosmer and John Lam -- and time will be needed for some maturation before the full impact of these players is felt. The Royals will probably be in position to contend sometime in 2013 or 2014.

Zack Greinke's current contract ($13.5 million per season for each of the next two years), on the other hand, only runs through 2012.

The timeline of Greinke's career may not be in line with the organization's reconstruction plans, so the Royals intend to listen to any and all offers for the All-Star right-hander during this offseason, according to sources.

To read more about if Zack Greinke will be traded as well as Buster's analysis of Yankees-Rangers Game 1 and much, much more, you must be an ESPN Insider.
    http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog?...26id%3d5690637
    Would Greinke help the Reds? Sure. But, keep in mind that the Reds would have to unload a decent amount of talent to get him and that Greinke is already expensive ($13.5M/yr) and will likely get even more expensive in the not too distant future.

I doubt Kansas City would have alot of interest in Alonso just because of the talent that they already have at 1st. I think they would be more interested in a package including one of the Reds current starting pitchers (Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, Wood, Leake) plus Chapman and at least one other good prospect (maybe Mesoraco in case Will Myers doesn't stick at catcher). And Chapman alone could come close to matching the production of Grienke and at a much cheaper price.

The financial side of baseball is something that I know some would rather not even think about. While it has nothing to do with the game itself, unfortunately it's a very important aspect of trades, free agent acquisitions, and team makeup. And I think the Reds are one of those teams that just can't have more than a few players making more than $10M/yr at any one time. Arroyo, Phillips, and Cordero will make that much in 2011. Arroyo and Cordero will be gone after next year but I think Phillips will still be around and Votto will probably join him in that elite financial club with Cueto, Volquez, and Bruce not that far behind. And if the Reds acquired Greinke they might end up with two players making more than $15M/yr in a few years (Greinke and Votto). The Reds have never had one player make that much, never mind two players.

As much as I'd like to have Greinke in a Reds uniform I just don't think it makes sense for Walt to pursuit it imo.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

I think the Reds could get the deal done without Chapman and I don't think the cost conscious Royals would really ask for him either. It is going to take a lot of talent though. Perhaps a Cueto/Leake/Wood/Volquez/Bailey and two good prospects (say Dave Sappelt and Billy Hamilton).

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I think the Reds could get the deal done without Chapman and I don't think the cost conscious Royals would really ask for him either. It is going to take a lot of talent though. Perhaps a Cueto/Leake/Wood/Volquez/Bailey and two good prospects (say Dave Sappelt and Billy Hamilton).
    Do you really think that would be enough? Cuz I doubt it. And I don't think that Chapman's salary would turn them away either.

Plus that doesn't address the fact that it would be hard to fit in his contract and an eventual extension.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 10-16-2010 at 02:03 PM.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Do you really think that would be enough? Cuz I doubt it. And I don't think that Chapman's salary would turn them away either.

Plus that doesn't address the fact that it would be hard to fit in his contract and an eventual extension.
    The Reds would be taking on 27 million over the next two seasons. The Royals, something like 8-9M with Cueto/Volquez and even less with any of the other guys. That likely could even if up a lot. Lets also note, that a guy like Cueto, had an ERA nearly half a run better than Greinke did in 2010. As for fitting him in, probably not a giant issue for 2011. 2012 can be solved by Phillips and Cordero walking. As for an extension.... worry about that later, he would be here through 2012 right now.

The Reds would be taking on 27 million over the next two seasons. The Royals, something like 8-9M with Cueto/Volquez and even less with any of the other guys. That likely could even if up a lot. Lets also note, that a guy like Cueto, had an ERA nearly half a run better than Greinke did in 2010. As for fitting him in, probably not a giant issue for 2011. 2012 can be solved by Phillips and Cordero walking. As for an extension.... worry about that later, he would be here through 2012 right now.
    I was thinking that one of the Reds current starting pitchers would be in a deal. But you're suggesting two? That's sure not going to sell me on making a deal. Also, you say his salary wouldn't be that big of an issue. I just disagree with ya on that Doug. Especially when there's THAT much money involved.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I was thinking that one of the Reds current starting pitchers would be in a deal. But you're suggesting two? That's sure not going to sell me on making a deal. Also, you say his salary wouldn't be that big of an issue. I just disagree with ya on that Doug. Especially when there's THAT much money involved.
    No, just one of those two guys, as I figure they will make similar money over the next two seasons.

No, just one of those two guys, as I figure they will make similar money over the next two seasons.
    Thanks for clearing that up for me.

If KC would deal Greinke for Cueto or Volquez, plus Sappelt, and Hamilton I'd be tempted. I just doubt that they wouldn't want more.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

He would be my #1 target and Volquez would be the guy I'd try to build it around. I just think he's overrated. Lots of pitchers flash #1 stuff, but an ability to command it is what separates the men from the boys. His trade value is higher than his real value.

Sappelt makes sense (though I'd like to see im in LF...) but I'd like to hold on to Hamilton if at all possible, even if it means trading two guys instead of 1. Maloney seems like a good round-out-the-trade type of guy here too, as does Burton.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?