Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morgan Ensberg DFA...

Morgan Ensberg DFA...

The guy certainly has fallen on hard times, but might he be worth a gamble?
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Morgan Ensberg DFA...

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    The guy certainly has fallen on hard times, but might he be worth a gamble?
    I would give him a shot. It all comes down to whether you like him better than Andy Phillips.

I was for getting him in the off-season, but I really don't think he's an improvement on Andy Phillips at this point. Now...Javy? That it perhaps worth talking about...

I don't think Ensberg is a better option than any of the current bench options, IMO. Not at this point at least.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I was for getting him in the off-season, but I really don't think he's an improvement on Andy Phillips at this point. Now...Javy? That it perhaps worth talking about...
    Hmm.....it's definitely worth some consideration.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Well a 32 year old with a .362 career OBP vs. a 31 year old with a .294 career OBP. I'm not real high on Ensberg, but if I was picking between him and Phillips I'd easily take Ensberg.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

how much would ensberg cost? we need another right handed bat with pop but only at the right cost.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

We are talking about a guy with SERIOUSLY inflated numbers. Being a RH hitter in Minute Maid park is the only reason this guy is still in the majors. That and he takes pitches. There is no reason to not pitch to him anymore. His bat speed is zero and he has a huge hole in his swing. Anything outer half and he's out every single time.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

"So Fla Red"

He seems to fit the profile of scuffling veteran that comes to GABP and finds a second offensive life except he's actually a bit younger then the Randa/Hatteburg/Aurillia types. (Which is why I never worry much about finding decent replacement value offense at GABP -- and why a Reds GM should never pay the Corey Patersons of the world more then league minimum)

I don't want him taking AB's from Votto or EdE and he's the type that needs to play 4-5 times a week, so I'd take a pass.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Now...Javy? That it perhaps worth talking about...
    Who would be the lefthanded bat off the bench? It seems replacing Javy with Ensberg would require an additional move.

I wonder why Ensberg has worn out his welcome so quickly of late. The Astros, Padres, and Yankees have all shipped him off so quickly. Perhaps there is something we don't know about. I would be inclined to pass on the guy.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

I would sign the guy ASAP. The Reds need someone like Ensberg, bad.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

He needs to find his old swing. If I recall correctly, his slide coincided with Gary Gaetti being fired as Astros hitting coach.

While Minute Maid park surely helped him, he did have a road OPS of .900+ in '05. He wouldn't be a bad stopgap if the Reds decided to option Encarnacion to the minors to get his head straightened out.
    Stick to your guns.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    We are talking about a guy with SERIOUSLY inflated numbers. Being a RH hitter in Minute Maid park is the only reason this guy is still in the majors. That and he takes pitches. There is no reason to not pitch to him anymore. His bat speed is zero and he has a huge hole in his swing. Anything outer half and he's out every single time.
    Amen!

Next candidate please....
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Minor league deal only, I don't see a AAA option on hand at the time, so he wouldn't be blocking anyone. Have him go down and work on it. His slide coincided with testing...
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

He's probably not worth whatever price it would take to get him in Cincinnati, but I'd rather have him pinch hit over a couple guys currently on the roster.

Turn Off Ads?