Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: google ads

  1. #1
    Middle Class Rut TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    17,469

    google ads

    This site gets so much traffic, i bet ads generated by google would pay for the site. Put the ads top right, they'd be unobtrusive. I'd be willing to bet you would see money for impressions and clicks. This would end the need for donations. And the nature of google ads wouldn't detract from Redszone at all.

    Just my opinion.
    "There was like a softness to it, a glow to it. I felt... I felt warm."

    -- Joseph Daniel Votto 7/10/2017

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member smith288's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    New Albany, OH
    Posts
    7,265

    Re: google ads

    This isnt a for revenue site. I think Boss wants to ensure no ads are ever used here.

  4. #3
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,906

    Re: google ads

    I agree on Google ads being unobtrusive. The money that came from them could be used to improving the site in other ways (but don't ask me how).

  5. #4
    GO REDS *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    6,764

    Re: google ads

    I agree; it is just open white space and Boss could charge only enough to cover expenses...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I agree with everything here except the part about Trump promising to drain the swamp of rich elites. When did he say that? I think he's putting in rich guys with the idea that they can't be bought. I don't think he ever promised not to put in rich white guys.

  6. #5
    The Future GoReds33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    2,468

    Re: google ads

    I wouldn't be against it if it meant a better site. I don't particularly like ads on the pages I visit, but it wouldn't bother me in this case.

  7. #6
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    45,429

    Re: google ads

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I agree; it is just open white space and Boss could charge only enough to cover expenses...
    It doesn't really work that way. I will say this though, with the traffic this site gets, the google ads would supply plenty enough revenue to keep the site top notch. That said, the site seems to be doing fine without them.... although there is the donations and no one really knows what those bring in.

  8. #7
    Middle Class Rut TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    17,469

    Re: google ads

    I'd like to see the ads so we don't have a repeat of posters thinking they are "owed" something because they donated. I think the ads are content based and would be appropriate for all ages. And yes, they could generate plenty of money. Now, will that in itself cause issues? maybe. And maybe the excess money could go for neat things like donations to youth baseball, or other various causes related to baseball.

    To me this could be a very good step forward.
    "There was like a softness to it, a glow to it. I felt... I felt warm."

    -- Joseph Daniel Votto 7/10/2017

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    14,037

    Re: google ads

    I'm for the google ads. I go to other sites with the ads and they don't bother my me one bit. P.S. I don't own Google stock.

  10. #9
    GO REDS *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    6,764

    Re: google ads

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I'd like to see the ads so we don't have a repeat of posters thinking they are "owed" something because they donated. I think the ads are content based and would be appropriate for all ages. And yes, they could generate plenty of money. Now, will that in itself cause issues? maybe. And maybe the excess money could go for neat things like donations to youth baseball, or other various causes related to baseball.

    To me this could be a very good step forward.
    Sponsor a RedsZone youth league team!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I agree with everything here except the part about Trump promising to drain the swamp of rich elites. When did he say that? I think he's putting in rich guys with the idea that they can't be bought. I don't think he ever promised not to put in rich white guys.

  11. #10
    Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    4,169

    Re: google ads

    I'd agree with the others and find a way to monetize the traffic, if for no other reason than to donate anything above the costs of the site to charity. I understand why the caretakers here have resisted putting adds on the site though.

    The adds would not bother me a bit.

    GL

  12. #11
    Middle Class Rut TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    17,469

    Re: google ads

    At the very least, why not try it for a month? see what the revenue looks like. It's not like redszone would be locked into anything.
    "There was like a softness to it, a glow to it. I felt... I felt warm."

    -- Joseph Daniel Votto 7/10/2017

  13. #12
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,102

    Re: google ads

    My biggest concern is that I believe we would have to remove all copyrighted content (i.e. avatars) before doing anything that would bring in revenue, such as ads.

  14. #13
    Middle Class Rut TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    17,469

    Re: google ads

    Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    My biggest concern is that I believe we would have to remove all copyrighted content (i.e. avatars) before doing anything that would bring in revenue, such as ads.
    I don't think that is the case at all. I'm not a lawyer, but there are a number of lawyers on this site. One might be able to answer that. However, I don't see a lot of copyrighted content. Even the avatars are vague.

    A lot of messageboards use google ads, but very few of them (at least sports related boards) have the traffic and loyalty this one has. The revenue you generate could go towards server upgrades and hosting fees.
    "There was like a softness to it, a glow to it. I felt... I felt warm."

    -- Joseph Daniel Votto 7/10/2017

  15. #14
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,102

    Re: google ads

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I don't think that is the case at all. I'm not a lawyer, but there are a number of lawyers on this site. One might be able to answer that. However, I don't see a lot of copyrighted content. Even the avatars are vague.

    A lot of messageboards use google ads, but very few of them (at least sports related boards) have the traffic and loyalty this one has. The revenue you generate could go towards server upgrades and hosting fees.
    I don't see a lot of potential copyrighted content, but I would definitely want to have it all removed if we were to consider implementing something like this.

  16. #15
    Middle Class Rut TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    17,469

    Re: google ads

    I agree, but at the same time why not give it a go for a month? as a test, just suspend avatars, roll out the ads and project the revenue over 12 months.

    The potential benefit outweighs 1 month of avatarless posting.
    "There was like a softness to it, a glow to it. I felt... I felt warm."

    -- Joseph Daniel Votto 7/10/2017


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | JaxRed | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | RedsfaninMT | The Operator