Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reds Organizational Depth Chart

Re: Reds Organizational Depth Chart

I'm not doug, but he does have the glove to be an average to slightly above average CF. His arm is above average for the position and his speed is good enough to get by. (I can't believe Krivsky was so good at identifying these high talent kids soon to break out.)

His bat, though, will keep him in the majors. An 890 OPS is great, but the almost 400 OBP is what I'm excited by. He sounds like an ideal CF leadoff option, and, looking at his numbers, that's probably where his bat should be. (The number two hitter is better, but Keppinger's bat is simply better for that spot.)

Still, with Cumberland leading off, that lineup looks solid:
    Cumberland CF
    Keppinger SS
    Bruce RF
    Phillips 2B (not my call)
    Dunn LF (assuming he re-signs)
    Votto 1B
    Encarnacion 3B
    Ross/ free agent C

Makes everything else work better, IMO.

2. Turn Off Ads?

In my opinion, Valaika and Frazier are the next impact bats to graduate. Guys like Cumberland, Dorn, Stubbs, Francisco, et al, have had periods of excellence but not the consistency that Valaika and Frazier have demonstrated. (Heisey may be the true sleeper.)

I do like the depth on the offensive side a lot better than on the mound.

thorn

Thanks Scrapy. Yes, Valaika and Frazier could be here next year as well, but Cumberland can fill a position of need for us if he can stick in CF. I like his BB/K ratio. I imagine Valaika will be a 2009 Callup for SS and Frazier for 3B, but I guess that could change. I also see Voto as a LF next year. If the Reds start rebuilding next year I could see something like this happening.

I think they get rid of Dunn and Griffey this year, Gonzo and EE by the trade deadline next year. In August of 09 I think we will see

1B Alonso
    2B Phillips
    SS Valaika
    3B Frazier
    LF Votto
    CF Cumberland
    RF Bruce
    C ???

Kepp will be a supersub at 3B, SS, 1B, maybe even platooning, just incase the young players don't play well out of the gate. Maybe it's not reality, but a guy can dream right?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    In my opinion, Valaika and Frazier are the next impact bats to graduate. Guys like Cumberland, Dorn, Stubbs, Francisco, et al, have had periods of excellence but not the consistency that Valaika and Frazier have demonstrated. (Heisey may be the true sleeper.)

I do like the depth on the offensive side a lot better than on the mound.

Funny, I like the depth on the mound better.

Thompson, Maloney, Wood, J. Smith, Jukish, Roenicke, Watson, Stewart, Lotzkar, Carroll, Hildenbrandt (high pick last year), Fisher, Viola, Smit, Carroll, etc.

imo pencilling in guys like Valaika & Frazier for 2009 seems premature. studs like bruce can blow through the minors but A+ or AA are a long way from being a major league regular

Re: 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    imo pencilling in guys like Valaika & Frazier for 2009 seems premature. studs like bruce can blow through the minors but A+ or AA are a long way from being a major league regular
    Bruce was a HS pick, Valaika and Frazier college picks. Both are older than Bruce, Valaika by two years and Frazier by one.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Funny, I like the depth on the mound better.

Thompson, Maloney, Wood, J. Smith, Jukish, Roenicke, Watson, Stewart, Lotzkar, Carroll, Hildenbrandt (high pick last year), Fisher, Viola, Smit, Carroll, etc.
    I don't mean to be a downer, but I would not be surprised if not a single one of these guys makes an impact as a major leaguer. That said, I think some will contribute, but I have a hard time identifying which ones it might be. I am most hopeful about Lotzkar and Roenicke, and it would be great to see one of the lefty starters (Maloney, Wood or Jukich) show he can be a BOR guy. Likewise, if one of the RH bullpen arms beyond Roenicke (Watson, Stewart, Fisher) can dominate minor leaguers, then the optimism will percolate more. Overall, though, I think it's an average pack of runners with no one pushing the pace right now.

The good news is that not one of them needs to be a TOR starter or an AS type closer. If Cincinnati can find two or three BOR guys to fill out the staff and two or three middle and set-up relievers, the pitching staff is set.

Having Harang, Cueto, and especially Volquez under control for at least three more years is sure nice to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    The good news is that not one of them needs to be a TOR starter or an AS type closer. If Cincinnati can find two or three BOR guys to fill out the staff and two or three middle and set-up relievers, the pitching staff is set.

Having Harang, Cueto, and especially Volquez under control for at least three more years is sure nice to see.

To me, Alonso, Frazier, Roenicke and Valaika are the four mostly likely guys in the system to be good major leaguers. Any of them could fail, and I'm not saying they are all stars, but I think those four seem to have the goods.

The next batch are guys with good upside who are progressing but are perhaps not quite the sure shots. To me, this group is Thompson, Wood, Stubbs, Francisco, Watson, Maloney. Thompson might go in the first category.

Then you have the kids with high upsides but little track record. Mesoraco, Lotzkar, Stewart, Soto (is he still playing?)

Then you have the guys who seem slightly more like longshots but who are doing real well in the minors. You can put most of the Chatanooga team in this category, Jukish, Strait, Gutierrez, Cumberland, Henry, Turner, Smith, Geronimo (still at Sarasota).

I guess a good mixture of different positions at the different levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    To me, Alonso, Frazier, Roenicke and Valaika are the four mostly likely guys in the system to be good major leaguers. Any of them could fail, and I'm not saying they are all stars, but I think those four seem to have the goods.

The next batch are guys with good upside who are progressing but are perhaps not quite the sure shots. To me, this group is Thompson, Wood, Stubbs, Francisco, Watson, Maloney. Thompson might go in the first category.

Then you have the kids with high upsides but little track record. Mesoraco, Lotzkar, Stewart, Soto (is he still playing?)

Then you have the guys who seem slightly more like longshots but who are doing real well in the minors. You can put most of the Chatanooga team in this category, Jukish, Strait, Gutierrez, Cumberland, Henry, Turner, Smith, Geronimo (still at Sarasota).

I guess a good mixture of different positions at the different levels.
    I would put Cumberland in the 2nd group, he has the tools, just has taken him awhile to understand them

and another guy I really really like is Alex Buchholz. I see him being eerily similar to Valaika

Turn Off Ads?