Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who's the next impact offensive player?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chris Valaika

13 20.31%
  • Brandon Waring

5 7.81%
  • Danny Dorn

13 20.31%
  • Neftali Soto

6 9.38%
  • Justin Reed

1 1.56%
  • Adam Rosales

2 3.13%
  • Juan Francisco

11 17.19%
  • Justin Turner

2 3.13%
  • None of the above (please name your player)

10 15.63%
  • No one in this org. currently fits this profile

1 1.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Future Impact Offenders

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Future Impact Offenders

After Bruce getting promoted and perusing Camisadelgolf's organizational depth chart I started to wonder about the future. I think we have some pretty intriguing arms who are somewhat close who could make a solid impact in the future. However the positional players I just don't feel quite come close. After Todd Frazier it's somewhat slim pickins' IMO, which is strange considering how many upper tier draft picks we've had as of late.

So assuming that a large majority of RZ's would agree that Frazier is the highest remaining positional player that profiles to have an above avg offensive impact. And he is the most likely to both make it to the show and play everyday, the question is who's next to fit this profile?

And I also wonder as a side note how people feel we should attack this draft given where we stand organizationally from top to bottom.

So I have picked a few names who have some decent shot of fitting this profile and would like to hear everyone's thoughts on the matter.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 06-02-2008 at 10:06 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Future Impact Offenders

I'd say that both Juan Fransisco and Brandon Waring both have the makings of well above average hitter in the bigs. But yes, they're both behind Frazier right now. There are several bats in Sarasota and below that could very easily develop into high-impact hitters. It just looks to be so bare right now with Louisville being raided so heavily this year. Give it time.

But that being said, I think we should be looking towards some bats in the draft this year. Of course a C with a bat & defense wouldn't hurt either. I've still got high hopes for Mesoraco, but I'd hate to hinge all my hopes on one young player.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Cumberland seems to fly under the radar, as does Sean Henry.
    Suck it up cupcake.

My positional rankings for the top 5 guys in the system would go:

1. Stubbs
    2. Mesoraco
    3. Frazier
    4. Valaika
    5. Dorn

I don't take drafting for need as something anyone should ever do. I think the Reds are going to go with the best player on the board and I have no doubt it will be a college player because the high school crop is fairly weak this year. I want Gordon Beckham unless Tim Beckham or Pedro Alvarez are on the board.... which they won't be. He has a strong chance of being there and would love to see the Reds pick him up.

really? Dorn? he just can not hit lefties to save his life. I would put Fransisco over him and maybe a couple others.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    My positional rankings for the top 5 guys in the system would go:

1. Stubbs
    2. Mesoraco
    3. Frazier
    4. Valaika
    5. Dorn

I don't take drafting for need as something anyone should ever do. I think the Reds are going to go with the best player on the board and I have no doubt it will be a college player because the high school crop is fairly weak this year. I want Gordon Beckham unless Tim Beckham or Pedro Alvarez are on the board.... which they won't be. He has a strong chance of being there and would love to see the Reds pick him up.
    DD, do you really think both Stubbs and Mesoraco will be better than Frazier offensively? Do you think either of them will profile as above avg offensively?

I agree with you about BPA, however let's just say all things being equal at a given pick what need would fill 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    really? Dorn? he just can not hit lefties to save his life. I would put Fransisco over him and maybe a couple others.
    So he can't hit 20% of the league.... He looks like he can kill the other 80%. I will take that over Francisco at this point who has a 52-7 K/BB ratio. Francisco certainly has upside galore, but he has a terrible plate approach to this point that needs a big time overhaul before he can ever succeed in the major leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    So he can't hit 20% of the league.... He looks like he can kill the other 80%. I will take that over Francisco at this point who has a 52-7 K/BB ratio. Francisco certainly has upside galore, but he has a terrible plate approach to this point that needs a big time overhaul before he can ever succeed in the major leagues.
    Maybe the 'ole Joey Votto takastrike rule would actually be warranted for Francisco.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    DD, do you really think both Stubbs and Mesoraco will be better than Frazier offensively? Do you think either of them will profile as above avg offensively?

I agree with you about BPA, however let's just say all things being equal at a given pick what need would fill 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc?
    I guess that was an overall ranking. I think it depends where Frazier ends up playing at and we don't know where that is. His bat has lost value since last year though, just because he has already moved off of shortstop and isn't even playing third base. He is playing more 1B and OF than anywhere else these days. At those positions he really needs to hit the crap out of the ball.

I think you should qualify this. Above average for their position makes more sense.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    I think you should qualify this. Above average for their position makes more sense.
    Well let's say if you were making out a ML lineup with all 3 in it who would bat 1st of the 3, on a regular basis. I guess I am basing it on realistic ceiling.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 06-02-2008 at 06:25 PM.

--Woody Hayes

Well let's say if you were making out a ML lineup with all 3 in it who would bat 1st of the 3, on a regular basis. I guess I am basing it on realistic ceiling.
    Ahh, I see. Good question. Frazier at the top. Then:

Devon Mesoraco
    Drew Stubbs
    Danny Dorn
    Chris Valaika
    Juan Francisco
    Brandon Waring
    Neftali Soto
    Juan Duran (don't forget him!)

These guys all have a shot.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

After Frazier I would go with Nefi Soto. He's got a quick bat, solid plate discipline, and the wiry frame to develop 25-30 homerun power.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Justin Turner has been with Chris Valaika almost every step of the way, so I'll go ahead and toss his name in the hat. Zack Cozart is still disappointing with his bat in Dayton, but he's making improvements (although they haven't yet translated to the stat book), so I'm wondering if he'll have a Drew Stubbs-like transition into pro baseball (a slow start as he makes adjustments that will prepare him for MLB).

Frazier, Todd.

Turn Off Ads?