Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 366

Thread: Jay Bruce called up!!!!!

  1. #151
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,883

    Re: Jay Bruce called up!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    In all fairness to Jocketty, it was Wayne that decided to add Patterson to the roster. It was Wayne that decided Bruce had to go to AAA to work on some things. Whether he was right or wrong, it was Wayne's call.

    Walt was stuck with Patterson (among others). It kind of made sense to see if Patterson and Freel could play. Now granted, it was apparent earlier than today that they really weren't the answer, but at that point, it was only 2-3 weeks more until Bruce's Super 2 date was over.

    I just hope Bruce really is ready.
    No, it was Bob who told Wayne to get Patterson 'no matter what it takes'. If it was Wayne's call, Patterson would have been in camp at the start of the spring, not coming in during the middle of March.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #152
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    25,076

    Re: Jay Bruce called up!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Maybe. Or maybe it'll have very little to do with Jocketty.
    Gee, that's cryptic.

    I think even the most generous observer of the Reds would agree that the answers to the Reds' pitching woes don't currently reside in the Reds' system.

  4. #153
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    6,458

    Re: Jay Bruce called up!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Gee, that's cryptic.

    I think even the most generous observer of the Reds would agree that the answers to the Reds' pitching woes don't currently reside in the Reds' system.
    You're right: most of the answers are already on the major league roster...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  5. #154
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,687

    Re: Jay Bruce called up!!!!!

    Having Bruce up (which I don't oppose) is a nice distraction from the other problems that plaque this '08 squad. I just hope expectations (pressure) are not too high on this kid. He's only 21.

    We need to show patience with some of the youngsters that are being given the opportunity to play this year.... Volquez, Votto, now Bruce, and especially Johnny Cueto. Think outside the box. They are possibly the future. Not simply the '08 season. For anyone to look at any of these young guy's '08 performance and leave out the developmental aspect (learning curve) into that equation, and suggest they may not be the answer is being pretty short-sighted IMHO.

    This team has been hurt with key injuries to players like Gonzo and Keppinger, which has forced this team to thrust players like Hairston and Janish into starting roles.

    They are obviously trying to gracefully (and diplomatically) deal with the deteriorating performance of an aging superstar (Jr). It's an issue they are avoiding and possibly going to allow to resolve itself when the season ends.

    What are they going to do with Adam Dunn? No indications have been yet given by this FO.

    Yes, our pitching still needs to be addressed. Primarily in the #4 and #5 spots as far as I'm concerned. That is easier said then done. We can complain all we want about guys like Belisle and Fogg; but in the off-season there wasn't much the market was offering up as sound alternatives when the host teams were asking for an "arm and a leg" (due to the market) and very high level prospects. The only pitcher I would have liked this FO to go after was Haren, and it was stated they wanted high level prospects including Cueto. Other then that? Blah! I wasn't that high on Bedard who is now with Seattle, not impressive IMO, and is now on the DL.

    It's going to be interesting to see what direction Jocketty takes once the trading deadline arrives. I'm not saying he is necessarily going to fix it then; but the process will, IMHO, begin then, and then proceed through the off-season.

    I didn't go into the '08 season with high expectations. I didn't expect to see this team offensively struggle out of the gate like they did; but I was more concerned about growth and progress.

    I think a much clearer picture of the direction Jocketty is going to take this team will start to be seen come mid-season and there after.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  6. #155
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    21,307

    Re: Jay Bruce called up!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Bob is the boss and he likes Dusty, Walt would do what he's told.

    Doesn't matter now anyway.
    I don't think so. I think that if Bob tries to micromanage and overrule Walt, Walt will just quit.

    I also think that Bob had enough respect for both Wayne and Walt to let them do their jobs. No evidence that Bob influenced any of Wayne's decisions.. Patterson is 100% Wayne's baby, just like AGon, Freel, Stanton, etc.

    However, even in hindsight, I still think that Patterson was a decent gamble. Sure, it didn't work out, but it was worth a try.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  7. #156
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    25,076

    Re: Jay Bruce called up!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    You're right: most of the answers are already on the major league roster...
    Really? So how do you explain the Reds' pitching being 14th out of 15 in the NL in RA?

    Have the Reds extended Harang beyond his current contract, so he can pitch alongside a MLB-ready Cueto?

    And I see a bullpen that's about 2 bulldogs short, and a good long-man short.

    Basically what you're counting on is for the Reds to go 5 for 5 in the pitching prospect department. Again, even the most the generous critic of the Reds' system would say that that's not just an anomaly, but a miracle.

  8. #157
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    19,134

    Re: Jay Bruce called up!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Really? So how do you explain the Reds' pitching being 14th out of 15 in the NL in RA?

    Have the Reds extended Harang beyond his current contract, so he can pitch alongside a MLB-ready Cueto?

    And I see a bullpen that's about 2 bulldogs short, and a good long-man short.
    Arguing Cueto is three years away from being a MLB-ready starter pretty much damages your credibility on anything pitching related IMHO.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  9. #158
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    21,307

    Re: Jay Bruce called up!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    No, it was Bob who told Wayne to get Patterson 'no matter what it takes'. If it was Wayne's call, Patterson would have been in camp at the start of the spring, not coming in during the middle of March.
    No, this was a quote twisted around to blame Bob.

    Wayne was chasing Lofton and Patterson all winter. He CLEARLY wanted them. As I said earlier, there was no context to that quote. Wayne could've told Bob that he wanted Patterson, but Patterson wanted 3 million. Then Bob could've said, "Fine, if you think Patterson will help us, do what it takes".

    If Wayne didn't want Patterson, he could've simply not added him to the 25 man roster. Again, how come Wayne wasn't "forced" to put Harrison on the 25 man roster? Wasn't he one of Dusty's boys too?

    Wayne didn't show a lot of class on his way out. He tried to blame all his mistakes on other people and tried to rationalize away some mistakes (like Cormier).. After hearing him BS about the Cormier trade being "ok", how does he have any credibility left?
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  10. #159
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    25,076

    Re: Jay Bruce called up!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Arguing Cueto is three years away from being a MLB-ready starter pretty much damages your credibility on anything pitching related IMHO.
    I'd be just as credible if I said he'll never make it. Your timetables have been all kinds of wrong on the optimistic scale since your arrival.

    I think credibility is not at all *my* issue.

  11. #160
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    19,134

    Re: Jay Bruce called up!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'd be just as credible if I said he'll never make it.
    No. It would be a blanket generalization (a gross one at that).
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  12. #161
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    6,458

    Re: Jay Bruce called up!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Really? So how do you explain the Reds' pitching being 14th out of 15 in the NL in RA?

    Have the Reds extended Harang beyond his current contract, so he can pitch alongside a MLB-ready Cueto?

    And I see a bullpen that's about 2 bulldogs short, and a good long-man short.

    Basically what you're counting on is for the Reds to go 5 for 5 in the pitching prospect department. Again, even the most the generous critic of the Reds' system would say that that's not just an anomaly, but a miracle.
    I see a rotation that has four spots filled (not buying your argument that Cueto is three years away), with the final spot being filled by ONE of THREE in Bailey, Thompson, and Maloney. The bullpen looks good too with Belisle in long relief and maybe one more piece from the farm...

    BTW, dude: there are 16 teams in the NL...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  13. #162
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    25,076

    Re: Jay Bruce called up!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    No. It would be a blanket generalization (a gross one at that).
    But that's where your predictions and projections become unmoored from reality--believing that every pitching prospect is likely to meet his ceiling.

  14. #163
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,883

    Re: Jay Bruce called up!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    No, this was a quote twisted around to blame Bob.

    Wayne was chasing Lofton and Patterson all winter. He CLEARLY wanted them. As I said earlier, there was no context to that quote. Wayne could've told Bob that he wanted Patterson, but Patterson wanted 3 million. Then Bob could've said, "Fine, if you think Patterson will help us, do what it takes".

    If Wayne didn't want Patterson, he could've simply not added him to the 25 man roster. Again, how come Wayne wasn't "forced" to put Harrison on the 25 man roster? Wasn't he one of Dusty's boys too?

    Wayne didn't show a lot of class on his way out. He tried to blame all his mistakes on other people and tried to rationalize away some mistakes (like Cormier).. After hearing him BS about the Cormier trade being "ok", how does he have any credibility left?
    So wait.... there was no context to the quote, but you somehow know the context? How does that work? As for 'Harrison', maybe he was willing to sign without a 25 man roster stipulation and Patterson wasn't.

  15. #164
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    25,076

    Re: Jay Bruce called up!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I see a rotation that has four spots filled (not buying your argument that Cueto is three years away), with the final spot being filled by ONE of THREE in Bailey, Thompson, and Maloney. The bullpen looks good too with Belisle in long relief and maybe one more piece from the farm...

    BTW, dude: there are 16 teams in the NL...
    Oops. 15 out of 16. Even better. Only the Pirates stand between us and oblivion.

  16. #165
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,849

    Re: Jay Bruce called up!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    If you'll remember, I was one of maybe two or three folks reminding people to curb their enthusiasm over Cueto's white-hot start in Spring Training.

    It's still a mistake to expect him to throw a starter's complement of innings this year. A pretty big mistake, IMO.

    So, yeah, I don't think there is any doubt that I helped keep a measure of perspective here when the sun was rising and setting on Mr. Cueto for that brief shining moment.
    IIRC, you also thought Volquez would end up in the pen and would take some serious lumps.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25