Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay Bruce called up!!!!!

Re: Jay Bruce called up!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    It just further demonstrates the incompetence of one Wayne Krivsky.
    How so? Walt certainly didn't seem to be a rush to dump Corey or get Bruce up here, my guess is Bruce would be coming in on the same day of Wayne were still here.
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I only hold Wayne 50% negligent on that front. He was told, in no uncertain terms, to get Corey Patterson inked to a deal because Dusty Baker wanted him on the team.

You think Corey's agent, when the Reds came calling, didn't figure out what was going on?
    One of the two reasons I want Patterson gone tomorrow is that it helps signify the fact that this is Jocketty's team (the other reason is obvious: Patterson stinks). If Patterson is gone then it means Jocketty is using his newfound leverage to mold the team his way, not Dusty's way, not Bob's way, not anybody else's way.

Given that Jocketty didn't even want the general manager's job in the first place and had to be persuaded by Bob, he should have all sorts of leverage that Wayne Krivsky never had. He should have the type of leverage to say "Dusty, I don't think so" when Dusty is clamoring for his next speedy out machine to put at the top of the lineup.

The good thing about Bob finally getting his man Jocketty in the general manager's office is that Bob should hopefully leave Walt alone to do his job, no matter what Dusty is clamoring for. Whether that turns out to be true or not is undetermined, but that's the hope right now.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    How so?
    1. Not having Bruce up here from day one.

2. Paying Corey Patterson 3M to stink up the joint.

1. Not having Bruce up here from day one.

2. Paying Corey Patterson 3M to stink up the joint.
    Eh Walt would have done the same more then likely
    Go Gators!

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Eh Walt would have done the same more then likely

How so?

I doubt Walt would be pushed around by Dusty or Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by The_jbh View Post
    Alright!!!

I have to disagree with DFAing Patterson tho... for one financially its redic. Plus we need a natural CF on the bench. He'll provide a solid late inning defensive replacement for Griffey or Dunn (pushing Bruce to LF or RF and Pat in CF) plus some pop on the bench.
    Yep, no point in DFAing Patterson.
    Either one of the three catchers or Hat will get axed.

If you keep Patterson, you have the option of starting Bruce in CF, and then in late innings, move Bruce to a corner and put Patterson in CF.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

How so?

I doubt Walt would be pushed around by Dusty or Bob.
    Bob is the boss and he likes Dusty, Walt would do what he's told.

Doesn't matter now anyway.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I'm glad we have you to keep things in perspective...
    If you'll remember, I was one of maybe two or three folks reminding people to curb their enthusiasm over Cueto's white-hot start in Spring Training.

It's still a mistake to expect him to throw a starter's complement of innings this year. A pretty big mistake, IMO.

So, yeah, I don't think there is any doubt that I helped keep a measure of perspective here when the sun was rising and setting on Mr. Cueto for that brief shining moment.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

A plus defending CFer with speed but no stick is worth a lot more than an old left handed first baseman with a questionable glove,no speed and no stick. The former costs a couple million to jettison. The latter costs about a million to kick to the curb.

I'd eat less money by getting rid of the less valuable player but that's just me......
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Bob is the boss and he likes Dusty, Walt would do what he's told.

Doesn't matter now anyway.
    Walt doesn't play second-fiddle to Dusty. No way in hell; but that's what you're intimating.

You got your second sentence correct, however.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    A plus defending CFer with speed but no stick is worth a lot more than an old left handed first baseman with a questionable glove,no speed and no stick. The former costs a couple million to jettison. The latter costs about a million to kick to the curb.

I'd eat less money by getting rid of the less valuable player but that's just me......
    Agree. I'd peddle Hatte if I could at this point. Javy is a better PH anyway.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

What an exciting day.

That is all.
    Witty signature.

Even if the Super Two status would have bitten them in the butt in three years for 6M, they could have accepted it and not paid Corey Patterson 3M.

So Bruce is up in April, and NO Patterson, costs this organization 3 Million three years later. Whippittydoo.

A small price to pay, especially considering how they have thrown millions away on garbage every year (Stanton, Cormier, Castro, etc).
    In all fairness to Jocketty, it was Wayne that decided to add Patterson to the roster. It was Wayne that decided Bruce had to go to AAA to work on some things. Whether he was right or wrong, it was Wayne's call.

Walt was stuck with Patterson (among others). It kind of made sense to see if Patterson and Freel could play. Now granted, it was apparent earlier than today that they really weren't the answer, but at that point, it was only 2-3 weeks more until Bruce's Super 2 date was over.

I just hope Bruce really is ready.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    If the Reds pitching turns around it will be because Jocketty got aggressive and did what he's done so many times in the past.
    Maybe. Or maybe it'll have very little to do with Jocketty.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I only hold Wayne 50% negligent on that front. He was told, in no uncertain terms, to get Corey Patterson inked to a deal because Dusty Baker wanted him on the team.
    I don't think so. Dusty had a lot of great things to say about Bruce as well in spring training. To be honest, there's ZERO evidence that Wayne was forced to add Patterson or anyone else to the 25 man roster under Dusty's influence.
    Look at Harrsion. He was supposedly one of Dusty's boys too, yet he didn't get called up until after Wayne left. Dusty prefered Harrsion to Castro, but Wayne prefered Castro so Wayne put Castro on the opening day roster.

I'm sorry, but I am getting tired of Dusty being blamed for things that aren't his responsiblity. There's mountains of evidence that Wayne was 100% in control of the 25 man roster. Dusty may have suggested inviting Patterson but no one put a gun to Wayne's head and forced him to guarantee Patterson's contract.

You think Corey's agent, when the Reds came calling, didn't figure out what was going on?
    Maybe Corey's agent saw the Reds had no CF, and Wayne has poor judgement in aquiring veteran players?

Turn Off Ads?