Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Jay Bruce called up!!!!!

Re: Jay Bruce called up!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    they need to sign him to a Longoria type deal ... right now.
    Some down in the sun deck suggest an 8 year deal.
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    awesome Jay Bruce Dugout:

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/...ut-babe-bruce/

"BakersDozen: /signals for next three batters to strike out" had me on the floor.

On the national Fox show last night the gal who was doing the show sounded like she was saying Babe Ruth or Babe Bruce a couple of times when they were showing highlights of the game. Of course it was after midnight so take that FWIW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Prospectus: Last night's game at the Great American Ballpark was memorable because the Reds' 9-6 win over Pittsburgh featured the debut of Jay Bruce, the Baseball Prospectus 2008 No. 1 prospect. Bruce started in center field and had a spectacular first game at the plate, going 3-for-3 with two walks, two runs, and two RBI. Bruce became just the fourth batter since 1956 to reach base safely in all five of his plate appearances in his major league debut. The others were Kazuo Matsui with the Mets in 2004, Ted Cox with the Red Sox in 1977, and John Paciorek with the Colt .45's in 1963.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=7580

Bruce is batting 2nd again tonight. In fact exact same lineup as last night except for Ross catching.

To go with OBM's post above here are the most times a batter has reached time consecutively to start a career from John Fay's blog:

HOT STARTS: Here's a look at where Jay Bruce rates as far as getting on base to start his career:

Listed are the top marks for consecutive times reaching base safely to begin a career, since 1956 (courtesy SABR & Elias Sports Bureau):

7 - Ted Cox, Red Sox, 1977 (6-for-6, 1BB)

5 - John Paciorek, Astros, 1963 (3-for-3, 2BB)

5 - Dave Robinson, Padres, 1970 (2-for-2, 3BB)

5 - Bob Dernier, Phillies, 1980 (4-for-4, 1BB)

5 - Tom Dunbar, Rangers, 1983 (2-for-2, 3BB)

5 - Jose Hernandez, Rangers, 1991 (4-for-4, 1BB)

5 - Mike Piazza, Dodgers, 1992 (4-for-4, 1BB)

5 - Ramon Martinez, Giants, 1998 (3-for-3, 2BB)

5 - Kazuo Matsui, Mets, 2004 (3-for-3, 2BB)

5 (active) - Jay Bruce, Reds, 5/27 vs Pit (3-for-3, 2BB)

5 - Kosuke Fukudome, Cubs, 3/31-4/2 vs Mil (3-for-3, 2BB)

5 - Brandon Boggs, Rangers, 4/29/4/30 vs KC (4-for-4, 1BB)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Two of his three good starts came against garbage offenses.
    How about tonight's performance against one of the top 4 run scoring offenses in the NL? Do we get to count that in Arroyo's ledger? 32.1IP 28 Hits 32K 13BB 1.75 ERA in his past 5 starts. Hardly washed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    How about tonight's performance against one of the top 4 run scoring offenses in the NL? Do we get to count that in Arroyo's ledger? 32.1IP 28 Hits 32K 13BB 1.75 ERA in his past 5 starts. Hardly washed up.
    And it went down in GABP, which is not known as a pitcher's park. The Bucs have been scoring runs in bunches (witness out last three-game series with them) and Bronson three-hits them in 6 innings. Nothing to sneeze about.

Of all the pitchers that have passed through Cincinnati in the last 2+ years, Arroyo can hardly be considered fodder. Given the territory, that's saying something.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Prospectus: Last night's game at the Great American Ballpark was memorable because the Reds' 9-6 win over Pittsburgh featured the debut of Jay Bruce, the Baseball Prospectus 2008 No. 1 prospect. Bruce started in center field and had a spectacular first game at the plate, going 3-for-3 with two walks, two runs, and two RBI. Bruce became just the fourth batter since 1956 to reach base safely in all five of his plate appearances in his major league debut. The others were Kazuo Matsui with the Mets in 2004, Ted Cox with the Red Sox in 1977, and John Paciorek with the Colt .45's in 1963.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=7580
    Also, since 1950, Bruce was only the 2nd player in team history to go 3-3 in his major league debut. Willie Greene was the other.

Is there any way we can get this thread archived to give us something to look back on in a few years?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I think he needs to go back....I mean, he ONLY went 1 for 3 last night, making 2 outs!!!!

WHAT THE HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Reds have enough humans on this team!!

Senor Votto

1. Ryan Freel cf
    2. Jerry Hairston Jr. ss
    3. Jay Bruce rf
    4. Brandon Phillips 2b
    5. Adam Dunn lf
    6. Andy Phillips 3b
    7. Joey Votto 1b
    8. David Ross c

Bruce batting third. Does that mean Bruce has batted 3rd more times than Adam Dunn this year?

"So Fla Red"

Kid ain't too bad...

Jay Bruce extended his amazing weeklong debut with a 10th-inning homer that lifted the Cincinnati Reds to an 8-7 victory over the Atlanta Braves.

Bruce’s first big league homer off Manny Acosta (3-2) dealt another crushing road defeat to the Braves, who couldn’t hold a one-run lead heading into the ninth.

Griffey was on deck when Bruce connected for the game-winning solo shot. The 21-year-old rookie rounded the bases, flipped his helmet into the air halfway to home, then got pummeled by teammates when he hopped on the plate.

The Reds’ top prospect is 11-for-19 in his first five games in the majors, providing one big hit after another. He has a pair of three-hit games and a four-hit game.

The only thing he hadn’t done in his amazing week was connect for a homer. He pulled it off on a 2-1 pitch from Acosta, sending it deep into the seats in right field.

While the Reds flooded onto the field and 38,585 fans chanted “BRUUUUCE!” in unison, the Braves dropped their heads and trudged away in disbelief.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/2...AZQVsw.UiObQ--

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap;_y...531117&prov=ap

They (the Reds PR dept) are already touting him and Votto. Coming down to the game on I-71 South today - I saw their face shots (the ones used at the game) with shades and leis (this weekend was IIRC "Welcome to Summer" at GABP) on one of the digital billboards.
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

On Baseball Tonight, they did a simulated redraft of the 2005 draft with the 1st 3 picks...and they selected (in order)...

1.) Jacoby Ellsbury
    2.) Justin Upton
    3.) Ryan Braun

Obviously, Bruce was a choice and was not taken. I know Zimmerman was available as was Tulowitszki. There was another name or 2, but I can't recall.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    On Baseball Tonight, they did a simulated redraft of the 2005 draft with the 1st 3 picks...and they selected (in order)...

1.) Jacoby Ellsbury
    2.) Justin Upton
    3.) Ryan Braun

Obviously, Bruce was a choice and was not taken. I know Zimmerman was available as was Tulowitszki. There was another name or 2, but I can't recall.
    The man-love of Ellsbury is amazing. Don't get me wrong, he's a fine player, but give me all of those guys but Zimmerman over him in a second. I'd probably take Zimmerman, too, but I might think about it a bit.

Turn Off Ads?