Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should we slowly move Joey Votto the OF?....

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Should we slowly move Joey Votto the OF?....

With this being Junior's last year with us, should we consider moving Votto to Rightfield for next year (Jay can hold his own in center for a few years I say)? We don't have many solid OF bats coming up that'll be ready for next year. Frazier's close, but I'm not sure he'll be ready yet. Tonys Gutierrez has been solid at every level in the minors and is yet again putting up very solid numbers at Chattanooga this year. He's been almost exclusively a firstbaseman in the minors and I think he could easily be ready next season. He's certainly close to being in line for a promotion to Louisville shortly this season. Especially since the player "blocking" him is the 33 year old Kevin Barker. I'm not knocking Barker here, but...he's 33 and producing average numbers in the minors. It's time to bring up Gutierrez because we don't have any other firstbasemen down in Louisville right now.

If Votto isn't the long term answer for 1B (and many don't think he is in terms of his D), then preparing him now for the OF and getting Tonys up to Louisville now should be a priority IMO. This is not the year we contend. This should be the year we PREPARE to contend for an extended run. Lining up our minor leaguers for the proper holes should coincide with adjusting our big leaguers too.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Should we slowly move Joey Votto the OF?....

And put Keppinger on 1B?

no

Nope. The only way I'd consider moving Votto to the outfield would be if the Reds didn't re-sign Dunn and drafted Justin Smoak.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Okay, then answer me this....after Junior leaves just about everyone on this board wants to move Bruce to RF...who plays center next year? Or to add an even BIGGER wrinkle...what if we also don't sign Dunn? Where are our OF'ers coming from for next year? Patterson? Dickerson? Dorn, Cumberland or Stubbs? I don't think any of the last 3 will be ready. Dickerson's bat isn't MLB material. And Corey...*shudders*...I don't think anybody wants to redo that travesty. So if not Votto...who? Edwin? At least Votto has some experience in the OF. I'm just seeing where we stand now and how much trouble we could be in come next season.

There's not much available via FA in 2009. I also don't think anybody wants to see Farney starting full time either.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 06-02-2008 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Okay, then answer me this....after Junior leaves just about everyone on this board wants to move Bruce to RF...who plays center next year? Or to add an even BIGGER wrinkle...what if we also don't sign Dunn? Where are our OF'ers coming from for next year? Patterson? Dickerson? Dorn, Cumberland or Stubbs? I don't think any of the last 3 will be ready. Dickerson's bat isn't MLB material. And Corey...*shudders*...I don't think anybody wants to redo that travesty. So if not Votto...who? Edwin? At least Votto has some experience in the OF. I'm just seeing where we stand now and how much trouble we could be in come next season.

There's not much available via FA in 2009. I also don't think anybody wants to see Farney starting full time either.
    Too many variables for me, and too many things can happen between now and spring training. I probably should just say that I don’t know the answer, I am not sure that Jocketty or anyone can know the answer to those questions right now.

If Jocketty loses Dunn to contract negotiations and Griffey moves on I think that those are questions that Jocketty will have to find answers to over the winter. I really don’t want Jocketty to trade any of the young pitching because many of them look promising right now, and pitchers who pitch well in major league baseball to me are gold and maybe better than money, because they can be used to bring in needed talent in trades, but I am really hoping that Jocketty doesn’t go that route until he really gets a chance to see what he has in these young men pitching now at the AA and AAA levels.

Jocketty might make a deal or two before the trading deadline if he can find a way that one would work out for the Reds, but that is too hard to speculate on with zero information.

Walt Jocketty is going to dramatically shake up this roster; it is difficult to peer into the future at this point IMO...

I agree there's a very good chance that at least one of next year's outfielders is not now in the organization. I look for at least one major trade by Jocketty; I don't see how he can improve the team at this point without one.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Nope. The only way I'd consider moving Votto to the outfield would be if the Reds didn't re-sign Dunn and drafted Justin Smoak.
    Exactly my sentiments. There is a lot of different possibilities but I think Votto will end up being an outstanding defender after watching him play, he's actually not that bad down there as is. For every bad play he's made he's made a good one to match.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I agree there's a very good chance that at least one of next year's outfielders is not now in the organization. I look for at least one major trade by Jocketty; I don't see how he can improve the team at this point without one.
    I think the most sensible option to go after would be Reggie Willits who is your leadoff hitter and CF for at least the next 3 yrs. He's a perfect fit IMO.

The question is what would it cost us?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

This team's biggest problem is OF defense. I know its blasphemy on here, but I'd rsther have Patterson in CF with Bruce in RF than put Votto out there. Re-sign Dunn, move Bruce to RF and go get somebody for CF IMO. Willits has been mentioned by plenty of people on here and he'd be a good choice. Coco Crisp will probably be available. Heck, Freel will be back and probably Hairston. I'm not big on Hopper, but he's in the mix as well. All are preferable to moving Votto out there IMO. Votto is the long term answer at 1B. This team hasn't had a real good one in a long time. Sean Casey, Hal Morris etc all the way back to Dan Dreissen were average to below average offensively as 1B go. I think Votto can be better than that.

I do like Guttierrez BTW. His OBP is insane and I agree that a move to AAA is in order. Some success there and the Reds have another asset to utilize. I prefer more power from 1B. Shine Guttierrez up as much as possible and deal him to a team with a need for a 1B/DH type in a deal for some other help.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    This team's biggest problem is OF defense. I know its blasphemy on here, but I'd rsther have Patterson in CF with Bruce in RF than put Votto out there. Re-sign Dunn, move Bruce to RF and go get somebody for CF IMO. Willits has been mentioned by plenty of people on here and he'd be a good choice. Coco Crisp will probably be available. Heck, Freel will be back and probably Hairston. I'm not big on Hopper, but he's in the mix as well. All are preferable to moving Votto out there IMO. Votto is the long term answer at 1B. This team hasn't had a real good one in a long time. Sean Casey, Hal Morris etc all the way back to Dan Dreissen were average to below average offensively as 1B go. I think Votto can be better than that.
    Agree 100% here. I have said the same things pretty much - outside of possible candidates for CF.

Everyone wants to move position players around like it's a Chinese Fire Drill - move EE/Votto to the OF, move BP to SS, move Keppinger to 3rd. Jesus H - why not GET AN OUTFIELDER and keep everyone where they are at!!

It surely doesn't help your Defense to put people out of position, and some of these proposals move 2-3-4 people!?!?!

Votto should stay at first for the reasons listed. 1B is SUPPOSED to be a power position, we haven't had a 20 HR guy there since Sean Casey's mirage of power year what seems like a decade ago. KEEP HIM THERE, and let him focus on HITTING, not learning a new fielding position! :thumbdown

I do agree however, if we lose both Junior AND Dunn, we are in a heap o' trouble. I don't know why, since Cast and his lunch/conversation, Dunn didn't get extended prior to the season. Now when he's knocking the cover off it wouldn't be a good time to approach his agent, however every week that goes by only makes it harder IMO, since that's one week closer to FA. I think Dunn genuinely likes it here, and is seemingly taking to being one of the leaders, as well as maturing as a man in general (marriage and kids will do that to you) so he might help get a deal done. OR we can wait until the off-season and maybe he moves to Texas for a REAL hometown discount - not that they need one - and be reunited with Josh Hamilton in their OF. thumbdown

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

I freely admit I could have missed an announcement (though I did look) and it is not a complaint, but I am just hoping to satisfy my curiosity. Why are there ORG posters in this Sundeck thread?

Quote Originally Posted by HalMorrisRules View Post
    I freely admit I could have missed an announcement (though I did look) and it is not a complaint, but I am just hoping to satisfy my curiosity. Why are there ORG posters in this Sundeck thread?
    They get tired of arguing amongst themselves, so they have to come show off their avatars in our threads... :

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by HalMorrisRules View Post
    This thread started in the minor league forum and moved to the sun deck.

Turn Off Ads?