Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's the next "main" addition to the REDS?

Who's the next "main" addition to the REDS?

Is he going to come from inside the organization or from outside?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat geek...and proud

Re: Who's the next "main" addition to the REDS?

Outside. Whatever prospects we get for Griffey will be the next main addition.

got alil captain in u?

My guess would be from the inside. It will either be Thompson or in a few years Mescaro behind the plate. They might not have the early sucess that bruce has had. Thompson is said to have good control we just need to find a spot in the rotation for him.

As of now, inside the organization.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Inside.

It's going to be Homer Bailey... but he won't be all world. Just a quality starts machine who gets wins because he'll get run support.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Definitely inside. Homer first. Maloney next. 3 more coming within a year or so in Roenicke, Frazier and Mesaraco (Devin will take the longest, but if he keeps improving he fills the biggest void. Catcher). Danny Dorn isn't too far away either...next year perhaps.

As far as I'm concerned, if they move Griffey (and it's fairly likely they will), then it should be for more prospects. Anytime we move someone, keep 'em young coming back. If we can manage to keep our farm system producing, then we can occasionally hold on to the really great ones once FA rolls around. But many others we can then deal for more prospects and still manage to keep our payroll quite low. But in order for this to work, we simply HAVE to be spending money on our scouting department. We can't have many draft busts like Chris Gruler & David Espinosa. Especially top picks. And we also have to be careful of signability...Jeremy Sowers anyone?

Probably outside. Walt will deal to fix at least one of our holes with an impact player next year at CF, SS, 3B, or C.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Probably outside. Walt will deal to fix at least one of our holes with an impact player next year at CF, SS, 3B, or C.
    I don't know about that. I think 99% of all of our decisions hinges on the signing of Adam Dunn. If we sign Dunn, then CF is covered for this year with Jay Bruce, LF with Junior. SS is fine with Keppinger, and it appears that Hairston is a fairly reliable backup. 3B is set for now with Edwin. Yes, he's streaky, but he's definitely a solid third bagger. Besides, we've got multiple replacement solutions down the line in the minors, third is one of our more loaded positions. And lastly, catcher. While I agree it's our biggest hole, it's also the hardest to fill. Simply put, EVERYBODY needs quality catchers. They're simply not available. So again, our best option is to develop them. Mesaraco is promising. Hanigan could easily step in right now and preform as well as (if not better than) Ross or Bako, at least with his bat.

But, if we let Dunn walk (or trade him, preferably than letting him walk), then we've got some tough choices to make. I think this causes an automatic platoon role in one of the OF spots of Freel/Hairston. Until Kepp returns, it'll be full-time Freel. But Kepp should be back fairly soon, so that won't come into play...thank goodness. Once Ken departs, we're left with one dependable starting OF'er in Jay Bruce. Now we've got some choices to make. A FA-signing is the most likely solution here (short term solution though...please. We've got OF talent coming, just not this year and probably not early next year). Another option is moving Edwin or Joey to the OF and using some of our numerous IF replacements for them. Janish is ready in terms of his glove...and to be honest, his bat is pretty darn solid so far...but I don't expect that to hold up (like Bako's won't). Hairston is a nice fill-in but he's not a long term solution either. So, like I said, most of this hinges on signing Dunn or not. Dragging this decision out is NOT a good idea in my opinion. Make a decision and MOVE on it. That makes all our other moves easier to devise (in terms of minor league development).
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 06-02-2008 at 10:53 PM.

Dunn needs to be resigned. Trade Junior to a contender for the sake of his career and get some prospects out of the deal, preferably some lower level, highly rated prospects over iffy upper level ones. Allow Homer Bailey some more development time, he's our next big prospect to give another shot. We also have Maloney and Thompson, chances are that one of those three guys might pan out.

I hope they come from the inside and their names are; Bailey, Thompson, and Maloney.

Our rotation could look something like this...

Volquez
    Harang
    Cueto
    Bailey (Maloney)
    Thompson
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

Quote Originally Posted by smoke6 View Post
    I hope they come from the inside and their names are; Bailey, Thompson, and Maloney.

Our rotation could look something like this...

Volquez
    Harang
    Cueto
    Bailey (Maloney)
    Thompson
    If that rotation worked then Arroyo would have to be moved for something. He's quite valuable in this seller's market for pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    If that rotation worked then Arroyo would have to be moved for something. He's quite valuable in this seller's market for pitching.
    I heard the Yanks were interested. He has been too inconsistent for me lately.
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

Within, barring a big pick-up OF for Dunn. Bailey, Maloney, Livingston will get another shot, and now that he's back and I see his AVG. is climbing, maybe Dorn. He got real hot 2nd half of last year. Outside shot maybe Valaika, although he like the rest of the hot shots has cooled a bit.

I stand corrected on Mesoraco, I thought they put him at Dayton just to give him some good competitive play until Billings season begins, but it's looking like he might not go anywhere but up! It would be so sweet to see him turn into the next Joe Mauer!

Quote Originally Posted by smoke6 View Post
    I heard the Yanks were interested. He has been too inconsistent for me lately.
    I'm sure if they were they aren't anymore. I'm not too worried about him. He doesn't cost too much given the current market. I think he's playing injured or something.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

My question is which reliever gets sent out to make room for Bailey on Thursday? Majewski looked good last night, and Hererra looked awesome tonight. He reminds me a lot of John Franco. Will Lincoln be the one to go come Thursday?

Turn Off Ads?