Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NHL Stanley Cup Finals

NHL Stanley Cup Finals

Wow. If you're a hockey fan, you just watched what I consider to be one of the best Stanley Cup Finals games ever. It took 3 Overtimes to decide this one and the Penguins salvaged a chance at game 6 with only 34 seconds to play in regulation after pulling their goalie. Petr Sykora actually called his shot in OT well before tallying the game-winning goal. An injured Sergei Gonchar on the ice and grabbing an Assist for that goal? For a single game, that's stuff of legend.

Now, before I continue, this needs to be said...

Even though I'm a huge Penguins fan, the Red Wings are obviously the better team. They have the better defensive plan. They're deeper in skaters and puck handlers. They're better conditioned. Their rink is nearly an unfair advantage because the boards there are like pinball bumpers and they take advantage of that, and did to an extreme in their throttling of the Pens in the first two games. Goliath started the series by beating down David. But David is as even as they can be after five games when heading back to their own arena.

This series heads back to Pittsburgh for game 6 with the Pens down only one game. Realistically, I expect the series to end in Detroit's favor right there and then. However, the Pens have been learning on-the-fly about how to play the 'Wings and how to play in that pinball-machine of an arena. It's interesting to watch and it's possible that their road win at an impossible arena may have given them confidence and isolated a better gameplan.

Classic contest. Interesting matchup. Drama and legend galore. Everything I'd want in a series, even if my team (Pens) is a huge underdog.

Simply fun to watch.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: NHL Stanley Cup Finals

Marc Andre Fleury was an absolute beast in the overtime periods. The Wings had a handful of legitimate chances to seal the Cup win and he turned away every shot. He was unbelievable.
    That being said, it seems like Detroit has dominated every game of the series but somehow Pittsburgh has won two games. I agree with you that Detroit will likely end the series on Wednesday in Pittsburgh. But this has been a great final series for the sport.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Good post Steel, and I can say I enjoyed every minute of it. I'm definitely pulling for the Pens, partially because they were my pick going into the playoffs, plus being a Blackhawk fan, I absolutely hate the Red Wings.

Yes Detroit is the better team, but the Fleury-Osgood match-up helps equalize that. Since coming back from injury, Fleury has been on a great run, and has been fabulous throughout the playoffs. He can steal a game, even when Detroit brings their A game, and that's why I think there was still hope down 3 games to 1. I'm going to continue being stubborn and predict Pens in 7.

My lord you must have been happy when Talbot scored to tie the game. I mean I had to bring out a fist pump and I have no real ties to the team. I tell you, the only thing that I love more than a game tieing goal in the final minute is a game tieing homer in the bottom of the 9th. That was the best moment of the playoffs for me... well maybe PM Bouchards OT game winner early on when I was rooting for the Wild was pretty good too.

I have reason to where my Pens jersey with pride tommorow.

I know next to nothing about hockey, but I love to watch games like the one last night. Being an old fart, I can't stay up late, but at least I caught that goal to tie the game and send it in to OT. That was some good stuff right there.

My wife wants to know why so many of the guys have beards.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I've never watched hockey before this year's playoffs and only got into it because a friend of mine (from Pitt) insisted on watching an early round Pens game on my big screen. Now I watch the Pens games even when he's not around and found last nite's game to be phenomenal.

I happened to catch the last part of the 2nd OT and watched till the game was over and a thought ran through my mind: I wondered how long do these fans stay at these multiple OT games. It didn't appear that too many fans in DET had left even in the 3rd OT.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Wednesday... now I have to wait until Wednesday... that was a great game, but man the interference calls were bunk...

My wife wants to know why so many of the guys have beards.
    A playoff beard is the superstitious practice of a National Hockey League player not shaving his beard during the Stanley Cup playoffs. The player stops shaving when his team enters the playoffs and does not shave until his team is eliminated or wins the Stanley Cup. It is believed that the tradition was started in the 1980s by the New York Islanders.[1][2] The tradition is also practiced by nearly all North American hockey leagues, to include high school leagues and the NCAA hockey teams, as well as minor league affiliates.[3] The tradition has also spread to hockey leagues in Europe.

What a great game last night.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Wednesday... now I have to wait until Wednesday... that was a great game, but man the interference calls were bunk...

A playoff beard is the superstitious practice of a National Hockey League player not shaving his beard during the Stanley Cup playoffs. The player stops shaving when his team enters the playoffs and does not shave until his team is eliminated or wins the Stanley Cup. It is believed that the tradition was started in the 1980s by the New York Islanders.[1][2] The tradition is also practiced by nearly all North American hockey leagues, to include high school leagues and the NCAA hockey teams, as well as minor league affiliates.[3] The tradition has also spread to hockey leagues in Europe.
    I was hoping it was more about cultivating a lumber jack image.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I was hoping it was more about cultivating a lumber jack image.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    My lord you must have been happy when Talbot scored to tie the game.
    My wife and I were watching the game at that point with our two cockatoos. Whan Talbot batted that puck in, I jumped up and yelled. Then one of the birds joined in the cheering by puffing up his feathers and barking like a dog while swaying back and forth on the couch. And then the other started bouncing up and down and screaming. Meanwhile my wife sat there with a look of incredulity. Pretty funny looking cheering section at the Steel household to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I happened to catch the last part of the 2nd OT and watched till the game was over and a thought ran through my mind: I wondered how long do these fans stay at these multiple OT games. It didn't appear that too many fans in DET had left even in the 3rd OT.
    Well, do consider that if the 'Wings scored a goal at any point in the overtime, they win the Stanley Cup. Let's say the Reds were up 3 games to 1 in the World Series and the 5th game went to extras. Do YOU leave?
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Well, do consider that if the 'Wings scored a goal at any point in the overtime, they win the Stanley Cup. Let's say the Reds were up 3 games to 1 in the World Series and the 5th game went to extras. Do YOU leave?

True enough but I was really talking in general.

The last three Cup games have been great to watch. Credit to the Pens for stepping up their game, particularly the muckers like Staal, Ruutu and Malone. BTW, is it fair to call the Staals the new Sutters?

I kept waiting for Niklas Lidstrom to make a surgical strike at the net in OT, but he stayed back at the blue line. I thought he and Datsyuk (who was everywhere in the extra sessions) could have put together a combo play and ended it. The Wings forwards were doing a great job of occupying the Pens defensemen (who were draped all over them), but it left them out of position to do anything when someone made a run at the net. That's why a defenseman needed to pinch in and, with the space he had in front of him, a player of Lidstrom's skill (I say he's the best player in the NHL and has been for most of this decade) could have been lethal.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Alfred and I are talking about finding a sports bar to watch tomorrow night's game. Maybe.

We know NOTHING about hockey ... I think I was a teenager before I even knew there was such a sport as hockey.

BUT, we enjoyed the Brass when they were here, and I did enjoy little bit I saw last night.
    Last edited by SandyD; 06-03-2008 at 08:56 PM.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Wow...

Fleury with an own-goal.

That has to be absolutely disheartening to the Penguins.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Turn Off Ads?