Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tuesday June 3rd minor league updates

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Tuesday June 3rd minor league updates

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Stubbs has an OBP of .383 . Its time for him to move up and see if he has more power outside of the FSL. 36 BB in 201 AB (237 PA). We could also see whether there's something to his home/road splits.
    I don't think there is anything going on but some bad luck. He has a 14% walk rate at home and a 39% line drive rate at home.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't think there is anything going on but some bad luck. He has a 14% walk rate at home and a 39% line drive rate at home.
    Geez, doesn't that give him like a 21% LD rate overall? Wasn't Bruce's rate15% in the minors?
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Chris Valaika has improved his walk rate since being promoted to Chattanooga. He only walked seven times in 135 atbats with Sarasota. He's already walked nine times in only 98 atbats with Chattanooga. That's a good sign. He could really be something if he can consistently keep his OBP around 60-65 points higher than his batting average like it is now. It seems to take him a while to get adjusted to a new level but once he does he always goes on a tear like he is on now.

He seems to understand he needs to improve his plate discipline too...he made this quote while playing in Hawaii during the off season.

"Offensively, I think I need to work on some plate discipline, having some better at-bats," he said. "Defensively, I need the consistency and confidence to play everywhere in the infield."

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Geez, doesn't that give him like a 21% LD rate overall? Wasn't Bruce's rate15% in the minors?
    Bruce was at 35%, which is beyond ridiculous, while in AAA this year. Anything over 20% is above average. Stubbs is at 27% overall this year.

Stubbs has an OBP of .383 . Its time for him to move up and see if he has more power outside of the FSL. 36 BB in 201 AB (237 PA). We could also see whether there's something to his home/road splits.
    I too would like to see Stubbs get a promotion to Chattanooga. He's not dominating the FSL or anything but I'd like to see him promoted to AA and see how his power plays in the Southern League. I've been impressed with parts of his game this year. The 36 walks in 201 atbats is awesome. The 19 stolen bases in 24 attempts is an acceptable rate. His defense is plus like always. He's also got 20 extra-base hits in 201 atbats, which isn't awful but I'd still like to see a few more homeruns. The biggest positive is his OBP (.383) is 114 points higher than his batting average (.269). That's impressive. Obviously the biggest negative is the 60 strikeouts in 201 atbats. That's an average of a strikeout every 3.35 atbats. If he could cut that down to about a K every 4.0 atbats or so that would be nice. With his OBP skills, stolen base ability, and plus defense he could be a big asset in CF if he can hit .270 or so in the majors.

Is there a reason Dickerson was taken out after 2 PA's tonight?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I listened to the radio broadcast and they said something in his eye took him out of the game

Quote Originally Posted by tomred View Post
    I listened to the radio broadcast and they said something in his eye took him out of the game

Seriously?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Turn Off Ads?