Turn Off Ads?

Thread: What does the term, "Five tool player" mean?

What does the term, "Five tool player" mean?

I always hear it being said, Welsh just said it about Bruce, though I don't know what it means. I think it refers to all the aspects of the game, if a player can hit, hit for power, field the ball, etc; but I'm not sure what all five are?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What does the term, "Five tool player" mean?

Hit for power, hit for average, speed, good range, good throwing arm.

Hit for average, Hit for Power, Arm strength, Fielding, and Running. It is a term that is thrown around way to often these days.

I just looked it up in Webster's dictionary. It means a player that has little/no skills, but Jim Bowden will sign. And he must play the outfield.

since we are asking questions that are easily answered, what is isolated power, saw Bruce was .247 and apparantly its remarkable
    Hey Homer! If you can put it together, you'll put the Reds over the top....think about it.

ISO is slugging percentage minus batting average...basically a measure of how a player hits for extra bases...

Over .200 is good...however as of tonight, Jay Bruce has an ISO of .414 which is "remarkable" to say the least...

It's the equivalent of a .320 hitter slugging .734

Turn Off Ads?