Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Drew Stubbs....

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Drew Stubbs....

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    In 2003, everyone thought that the Twins made a horrible decision in drafting Joe Mauer over Mark Prior.
    It takes more than two years to evaluate a draft pick.
    Yes, but Joe Mauer was in the majors in 2004. Oh, and he can actually hit, too.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye fly View Post
    What's bolded is what should also make people who have an interest in Reggie Willits hesitate a little.
    That's a good point about Willits who I am high on. However even if his OBP% dropped 40 points going forward he'd still be a better guy than what we currently have.

Why in the world we haven't gone after him and/or Izturis from LAA is beyond me. Of course who knows maybe they have called about him and got refused. His current value to the Angels is probably worth more than what they could recieve in a trade. But I'd still go after him/them and hard, both now and in the offseason. They are 2 good solid top of the lineup guys who fill positions of need defensively. They don't need to be long term answers but one or both of them could turn out to be just that. And they both still have some cheap years ahead. I think Willits will have 3 more years after this one and that would give us time to continuing develop our current minor league options.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 07-04-2008 at 04:06 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Darryl Thompson is with the Reds. Johnny Cueto is with the Reds. Edinson V is with the Reds. Lincecum would be with the Reds.
    Of course it's all a question of what ifs, but I do believe that if the Reds had drafted Lincecum instead of Stubbs, Josh Hamilton would still be here and Volquez would be dazzling in Texas.

For better or for worse, just sayin...
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Of course it's all a question of what ifs, but I do believe that if the Reds had drafted Lincecum instead of Stubbs, Josh Hamilton would still be here and Volquez would be dazzling in Texas.

For better or for worse, just sayin...
    so we'd have Lincecum, the NL leader in K's AND Hamilton? wow that would suck.

one draft pick likely cost Krivsky his job.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post

Just to point out and I don't know why people fail to recognize this. The SCOUTING DIRECTOR makes the picks. The GM oversees the process but in the end he completely leaves the picks up to the head of the department. I'd hope a guy didn't lose his job for something he had little to do with.

And as for Drew Stubbs I really don't think the guy is a bad player. His average has always been spotty but his OBP has been very strong. Not to mention he's the best center fielder in the entire Reds system. With the tools and physical talent I don't think you'll see much drop in his performance as he moves up the ladder. I doubt he's ever going to be an all star but he could be a Steve Finley type of player.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    That's a good point about Willits who I am high on. However even if his OBP% dropped 40 points going forward he'd still be a better guy than what we currently have.

Why in the world we haven't gone after him and/or Izturis from LAA is beyond me. Of course who knows maybe they have called about him and got refused. His current value to the Angels is probably worth more than what they could recieve in a trade. But I'd still go after him/them and hard, both now and in the offseason. They are 2 good solid top of the lineup guys who fill positions of need defensively. They don't need to be long term answers but one or both of them could turn out to be just that. And they both still have some cheap years ahead. I think Willits will have 3 more years after this one and that would give us time to continuing develop our current minor league options.
    Oh I'm sure he could help the Reds. I do think he probably would be a guy though who would be more of a decent stop gap until one of those minor league options was ready. But he would definitely be a top of the order upgrade over Corey Patterson, who thankfully is at least now on the bench and not leading off every day for the Reds... stay healthy and hot Jerry Hairston.

Stubbs homered and Doubled today.

Should be pushing .800 OPS after tonight...

I would say it is time for a promotion IMHO...

I would send Dickerson to the majors...Cumberland to AAA...Stubbs to AA...

How is it possible to have both Volquez and Hamilton?

Yeah, the Reds could've drafted Lincecum. That could mean the Reds would have Lincecum and Hamilton instead of Volquez and Stubbs. At the moment, the former looks better, but in a few years, who knows?

That's not really what all the arguing has been about, though. None of the Stubbs defenders, myself included, are claiming that Stubbs was a better pick than Lincecum.

Lincecum is the NL leader in K's, not Volquez. No the Reds wouldn't have Volquez, they'd have a guy just as good, just as cheap, under their control for another 5 years or more, AND Hamilton.

gosh, that would totally suck.

As for Stubbs, he had this same hot start the first week of June too, and for the month he had a sub 700 OPS. I wan to see him hit for more than 5 days, because I just saw 60 days of crap.

Drew Stubbs may turn out to be a more durable, better defensive player than Hamilton. Lincecum's small frame may end up with him having a major arm surgery some time soon. In principle, I agree with you (Lincecum > Stubbs), but it's too soon to say it's a fact that the Stubbs pick was worse than the Lincecum pick.

Lincecum is the NL leader in K's, not Volquez. No the Reds wouldn't have Volquez, they'd have a guy just as good, just as cheap, under their control for another 5 years or more, AND Hamilton.

gosh, that would totally suck.

As for Stubbs, he had this same hot start the first week of June too, and for the month he had a sub 700 OPS. I wan to see him hit for more than 5 days, because I just saw 60 days of crap.
    Volquez leads in k's/9 and ERA...His stuff is nastier too IMHO...

A .790 OPS in the FSL is not crap IMHO...

Once again would it reallly matter that much right now if we had Lincecum and Hamilton vs Volquez and Stubbs...Also don't forget the chemistry that has been formed between Volquez, Cueto, and Coco...

Bruce and Hairston wouldn't have anywhere to play......So what if Stubbs takes longer to make an impact than Lincecum...Things are working out great for the organization, we have great depth in the minors, a great young core in the majors...I am all for celebrating what we have and hoping that we are only going to get better...If we all go back we make the draft pick of Lincecum, but I bet the teams that passed on Michael Jordan say the same thing all the time...There are still the risk of an arm injury, so he could have a solid 3 years, hurt his arm and never be the same...

I could care lees if Hairston gets to play. an OF in 2009 of Dunn, Hamilton and Bruce with a rotation of Harang, Lincecum and Cueto as the top three is the core foudation championships can be built around.

As for Stubbs .790 OPS, Since May 1 it's about .680, and yeah, that is crap from a top 10 pick in ANY league.

And the difference between EV and Lincecum right now are minuscule at best. So not having Volquez, and having Lincecum is a wash. add Hamilton and yeah that one draft pick may have cost WK his job, whether the SD made the call or not.
    Last edited by TRF; 07-06-2008 at 06:26 PM.

I've been a Drew Stubbs defender and still am; I just don't think it makes sense to line up the 06 Draft as either Lincecum or Stubbs. Wayne made one good move, he could have made what looks like a better one. On the other hand, I absolutely agree with TRF about what a 2009 outfield of Dunn, Hamilton, and Bruce would mean. That's the outfield I wanted to see. And it really just seems indisputable to me that if we now had Lincecum--doing roughly what he's doing--and Josh, doing what he's doing, Wayne would not only still be GM but he'd have a long term extended contract and look like one of the great GM's of all time. So, in a way, his being gone comes down to one decision: Stubbs over Lincecum.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I've been a Drew Stubbs defender and still am; I just don't think it makes sense to line up the 06 Draft as either Lincecum or Stubbs. Wayne made one good move, he could have made what looks like a better one. On the other hand, I absolutely agree with TRF about what a 2009 outfield of Dunn, Hamilton, and Bruce would mean. That's the outfield I wanted to see. And it really just seems indisputable to me that if we now had Lincecum--doing roughly what he's doing--and Josh, doing what he's doing, Wayne would not only still be GM but he'd have a long term extended contract and look like one of the great GM's of all time. So, in a way, his being gone comes down to one decision: Stubbs over Lincecum.
    That said, and IT IS JUST MY OPINION, Hamilton had to go. The Red's players were not prepared for the media onslaught that followed Josh. It obviously caused tension in the clubhouse. The story is a year older now, and after the initial media circus in Texas, It has for the most part died down. Josh isn't every story now. It might have been the same in Cincinnati, but the tension was already in place. It was for the best that the parties moved on. Josh should absolutely have NOTHING but kind word for the org. that resurrected his career. From this point on, it is in his hands, but Krivsky should be lauded for his foresight and daring in plucking him from TB via the Cubs.

Which means a deal between the Reds and Texas still could have taken place. Harang, Volquez, Lincecum, Cueto and Arroyo would be one of the best rotations in baseball.

stinking

draftpick.

Turn Off Ads?