Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Drew Stubbs....

Re: Drew Stubbs....

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Is Stubbs healthy?

If so, what's the reason(s) he's struggling in High A ball?
    He's struggling?

2. Turn Off Ads?

You want to know what I want to see from Drew Stubbs? contact. To be successful, he needs a decent amount of hits. In order for him to do that, he needs to drive the ball with authority. He had more doubles in April than May and June combined. He needs to be a 35+ doubles guy, cuz his speed will get him 10+ triples. The triples aren't the problem, getting the doubles is. He doesn't have the power to consistently get those doubles, and his HR power is lacking. He can't be a force with less than 50 EBH's. right now he's projecting for 42 EBH's this year, but he's trending down.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Someone is struggling to hit for power in the FSL, contact the CIA because something is out of whack.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    He's struggling?
    His SLG is low. And his OPS is South of .800. And has been falling like the price of oil is increasing.

He's 23 and playing in High A ball. This is his 3rd season of professional ball, no?

Maybe Stubbs is like Khalil Greene when it comes to college and the aluminum bat? Just can't make the transition from metal to wood?

But yeah, in my book, Drew Stubbs' professional offensive performance to date says "struggling" to me.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

He's struggling?
    For the No. 8 pick of the draft two years ago? Considering he is 23 and is only in A+ ball? Yes, he's struggling.

If we were talking about a 20-year-old two years out of high school, it would be a different story. But we're not. We're talking about a guy two years out of college who projects as a backup MLB outfielder at best. Is he struggling? I would say so.

What am I basing my opinion on? This year? No. His overall minor league resume including last year in Dayton when he put up almost the exact same mediocre numbers that he is putting up this year. Is he struggling? I wish he wasn't. But he certainly is.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Someone is struggling to hit for power in the FSL, contact the CIA because something is out of whack.
    he's struggling to hit period.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    For the No. 8 pick of the draft two years ago? Considering he is 23 and is only in A+ ball? Yes, he's struggling.

If we were talking about a 20-year-old two years out of high school, it would be a different story. But we're not. We're talking about a guy two years out of college who projects as a backup MLB outfielder at best. Is he struggling? I would say so.

What am I basing my opinion on? This year? No. His overall minor league resume including last year in Dayton when he put up almost the exact same mediocre numbers that he is putting up this year. Is he struggling? I wish he wasn't. But he certainly is.
    It was a bad pick in 06, and still a bad pick. He can play defense, but you have to hit either for power or average as a ML outfilder and he can do neither.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    It was a bad pick in 06, and still a bad pick. He can play defense, but you have to hit either for power or average as a ML outfilder and he can do neither.
    Average? Why are we still using average? Stubbs has a .371 OBP right now, 15th overall for the FSL. He leads the league in walks. He is 9th in the league in runs scored, a direct result of his high OBP and his speed. That is exactly what the Reds could use right now: a high OBP, good fielding CF that can score runs.

Do I wish he would also have a .300 atting average? Sure, why not. I still think he will improve as he moves up. Hopefully the Ks will drop. But he is valuable right now....
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    Average? Why are we still using average? Stubbs has a .371 OBP right now, 15th overall for the FSL. He leads the league in walks. He is 9th in the league in runs scored, a direct result of his high OBP and his speed. That is exactly what the Reds could use right now: a high OBP, good fielding CF that can score runs.

Do I wish he would also have a .300 atting average? Sure, why not. I still think he will improve as he moves up. Hopefully the Ks will drop. But he is valuable right now....
    My perspective on this is that as a prospect advances, facing better pitching, he's not going to be given as many walks unless there is reason for the pitcher to "avoid" him to some degree. Mediocre batting average and low-no slugging means, as he faces these better pitchers, the walks will likely go down. It may not be a perfect comparison, but I can remember this phenomenon occurring to some degree with Anderson Machado.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre View Post
    My perspective on this is that as a prospect advances, facing better pitching, he's not going to be given as many walks unless there is reason for the pitcher to "avoid" him to some degree. Mediocre batting average and low-no slugging means, as he faces these better pitchers, the walks will likely go down. It may not be a perfect comparison, but I can remember this phenomenon occurring to some degree with Anderson Machado.
    Exactly. Note how that caught up with Roger Cedeno, a guy with better speed and hitting tools than Stubbs has. He came into the majors as a whippet-quick OF who could take a walk/get on base (.386 minor league OB, most of it compiled at ages younger than Stubbs) and at age 26 his BB totals went into steep decline.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    But yeah, in my book, Drew Stubbs' professional offensive performance to date says "struggling" to me.
    I should have included a smiley in my post. I was being sarcastic.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I should have included a smiley in my post. I was being sarcastic.
    My apologies. I didn't know that you also see Stubbs for who he is, rather than keep hugging that pillow as to what or who you want him to be.

At the rate Stubbs is going, he'll spend 2008 in High A, 2009 in AA, 2010 in AAA, and will take the Reds by storm in 2011.

The irony in that is that's the last year of Harang's contract.

For what its worth, I just put Stubbs' name in the milb.com player search and it comes up with his name but the slot for current team is blank.... usually this means they're moving people around. Any word on him going to the Lookouts??
    I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball. -- Pete Rose

2009 Record while in attendance: Terrible

Quote Originally Posted by highheat11 View Post
    For what its worth, I just put Stubbs' name in the milb.com player search and it comes up with his name but the slot for current team is blank.... usually this means they're moving people around. Any word on him going to the Lookouts??
    He is still listed on the roster though...
    http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...=true&sid=t535

I doubt he's promoted. He's in an awful slump. 2-24 wit h2 BB's and 6 K's. June OPS now at .682

I don't think him facing better pitching in Chatt. is going to help.

Turn Off Ads?