Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Drew Stubbs....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Drew Stubbs....

When do you guys possibly foresee him being called up to Chatty????? Can't wait to finally see him....

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Drew Stubbs....

I don't think it will be too much longer.

If he's finally come out of his horrific May slump, then I agree with doug. I think July at the earliest, maybe after the ASB.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Stubbs is hitting just .245 against Righties in A+ and OPSing .737? Is he really going to be ready for AA in July?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Stubbs is hitting just .245 against Righties in A+ and OPSing .737? Is he really going to be ready for AA in July?
    Yeah, he is. Its the Florida State League.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yeah, he is. Its the Florida State League.
    I keep forgetting that when I look at the stats.

Depends. Drew Stubbs is a bit of an enigma at the plate. It wasn't just the FSL that caused his slump in May. Pitchers figured him out. At the same time he did post an amazing April, .900+ OPS. Who is the real Stubbs?

My take is he's likely a 4th OF on most teams, and a starting CF on some. But his bat has some serious questions. His defense from all accounts does not. That helps his chances of being in the big leagues a lot. But right now he seems to be on the same path as Chris Dickerson, with a little better patience, but far less power. Defense is probably a wash.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Depends. Drew Stubbs is a bit of an enigma at the plate. It wasn't just the FSL that caused his slump in May. Pitchers figured him out. At the same time he did post an amazing April, .900+ OPS. Who is the real Stubbs?

My take is he's likely a 4th OF on most teams, and a starting CF on some. But his bat has some serious questions. His defense from all accounts does not. That helps his chances of being in the big leagues a lot. But right now he seems to be on the same path as Chris Dickerson, with a little better patience, but far less power. Defense is probably a wash.
    I will take a CF who hits around .270 gets on base around .385 and plays gold golve defense.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I will take a CF who hits around .270 gets on base around .385 and plays gold golve defense.
    As would nearly everyone here. The question is how likely is Stubbs to be that guy?

Stubbs is as likely to hit .270 as he is .295 or .255. That's the problem his ceiling is fine, but his floor sucks. The question is which one is he closer to? After April ended and coming off 2 good months in Dayton, things looked good. Add his May to the first half of last year and the year before and yikes.

We'll know more I suppose in a month.

I will take a CF who hits around .270 gets on base around .385 and plays gold glove defense.
    Unfortunately if that's all you can do in A ball then you don't stand much of a chance of doing it in the majors. To work on a theme started by TRF, that's a terribly low ceiling and his basement is massive.

Yet I would promote to AA for the same reason I argued promoting him to A+ ball in the middle of last year. I want the team to have the option of getting something for Stubbs in trade and I'd take the chance that even moderate performance in AA would enhance his market.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Unfortunately if that's all you can do in A ball then you don't stand much of a chance of doing it in the majors. To work on a theme started by TRF, that's a terribly low ceiling and his basement is massive.

Yet I would promote to AA for the same reason I argued promoting him to A+ ball in the middle of last year. I want the team to have the option of getting something for Stubbs in trade and I'd take the chance that even moderate performance in AA would enhance his market.
    I think that's a bit pessimistic. Players can and do improve, even as they move up the levels. I agree, the problem with Stubbs is that his floor is so low and that compared to most top prospects, he's less likely to reach the majors. But let's not discount the possibility that he maintains an .800 OPS (.370/.430) as he moves up through the levels.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post

His 23% line drive rate and 16.5% walk rate in May really disagrees that the FSL pitchers have figured him out. He had some strikeout issues in May that were rough, but lets not discount the fact that he had a rough month in the BABIP department by ~.070 which would account for about 5 more hits on the month, pushing his OPS to .708 in May, which would make his entire line to .294/.402/.433 for an .835 OPS.

Now lets take all of that out of the equation.... right now Drew Stubbs has improved his numbers from last year at a higher level in the most difficult place to hit in all of the minor leagues. That is impressive. While he may not be what some of you want him to be, I think it is overlooked an awful lot what he is doing in the FSL in terms of his improvement.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

If he were a lefty doing that, I would be more concerned. Like most decent RH's he killing LH pitching to the tune of .994.

I see no reason that Stubbs shouldn't be promoted now and I have little doubt he'd mirror the numbers he's putting up currently in the pitcher-friendly FSL (.775-.800 OPS).

If he can do that for a half-season in Chattanooga, I see no reason not to give him a shot to win that CF job with the big club in spring training.

Brandon Phillips would kill for those numbers against RHP.

Turn Off Ads?