Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 377

Thread: Drew Stubbs....

  1. #181
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Drew Stubbs....

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Remind me again which league the Sarasota Reds are in? I don't remember them playing the Cubs.

    Yes, he has a .797 OPS right now. That's a great number. However it's being driven by a torrid April. May and June have been beyond bad. .612 for may, .683 (albeit climbing) for June.

    Maybe Stubbs isn't a bust yet, but he's certainly on the bus to bustville.
    Stubbs OPS in June is .875.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #182
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,837

    Re: Drew Stubbs....

    Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Well, now you're getting into stolen-base break-even theory. Be careful. :
    His SB% this year has been great while last year he was among the worst in the MWL. This could have been due to his "injury", or he could have progressed. I think we need more than 2.5 months to say he is now the next Rickey Henderson.

    And that's part of Stubbs problem from an evaluation standpoint. Things we know:
    1. He's old for his level.
    2. He has contact issues, a high K rate, and little to know power.
    3. He hasn't produced well compared to other Reds draft choices from the same year.
    4. OBP + speed are his best offensive weapons yet he resists the leadoff position which is best suited for his skillset.
    5. He's NOT a guy you want in the middle of the order.
    He's a younger version of Chris Dickerson minus the power but with a little more OBP. Defensively they are likely a wash. That's 4th or 5th OF territory right there.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  4. #183
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,837

    Re: Drew Stubbs....

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Stubbs OPS in June is .875.
    Not according to minorleaguesplits.com, but I don't know how often they update their site.
    Last edited by TRF; 06-20-2008 at 01:25 PM.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  5. #184
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Drew Stubbs....

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Not according to minorleaguesplits.com
    minorleaguesplits is either wrong or doesn't update very often.

    Stubbs is OPSing .875 in June.

    http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=453211
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  6. #185
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,837

    Re: Drew Stubbs....

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    minorleaguesplits is either wrong or doesn't update very often.

    Stubbs is OPSing .875 in June.

    http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=453211
    They appear to be 11 AB's behind. He's turned it on a bit since the ASG.

    In fact that OPS being where it is, is the direct result of his last three games. prior to the ASB it was .683.

    I hope the ASG did something for him, even if I feel it's a temporary boost. Nothing in his carrer to date suggests he can sustain an OPS above .750.
    Last edited by TRF; 06-20-2008 at 01:42 PM.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  7. #186
    Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Chester
    Posts
    2,416

    Re: Drew Stubbs....

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Nothing in his carrer to date suggests he can sustain an OPS above .750.
    Except for this year, when he's OPSing .798 in a pitcher's league.

  8. #187
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,937

    Re: Drew Stubbs....

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    His SB% this year has been great while last year he was among the worst in the MWL. This could have been due to his "injury", or he could have progressed. I think we need more than 2.5 months to say he is now the next Rickey Henderson.
    "injury"? You put that like there is some type of questioning that he was really hurt. The guy had a well documented injury last year and a surgery in the offseason to fix it. There is no "injury", the guy was injured.

    [*]OBP + speed are his best offensive weapons yet he resists the leadoff position which is best suited for his skillset.
    Not really. The skillset for most leadoff hitters is make tons of contact, strikeout very seldom, get on base a lot and for most people, be fast. Drew does about half of that. You generally ask your leadoff guy to take pitches.... Stubbs has contact issues, he should never take pitches in the zone becuase he might not hit the other ones in the zone. He isn't an ideal leadoff man and his skill set isn't that of a leadoff man.

    He's a younger version of Chris Dickerson minus the power but with a little more OBP. Defensively they are likely a wash. That's 4th or 5th OF territory right there.
    Not quite. Dickerson, albeit a similar skillset lacks one thing that Stubbs has. Bat speed. Dickerson doesn't have it and its why he will never be a starter in the major leagues. The rest of their games compare pretty well, but its one reason you can't just look at the numbers and make comparisons.

  9. #188
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,937

    Re: Drew Stubbs....

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I hope the ASG did something for him, even if I feel it's a temporary boost.
    It didn't do anything for him, he just continues to do what he has done all season and the hits are falling for him again. High walk rate + high line drive rate even with a 24% strikeout rate is going to lead to good numbers. He has been doing that all year long and as long as he continues, his numbers are going to keep rising.

  10. #189
    Member SteelSD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    9,392

    Re: Drew Stubbs....

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Not really. The skillset for most leadoff hitters is make tons of contact, strikeout very seldom, get on base a lot and for most people, be fast. Drew does about half of that. You generally ask your leadoff guy to take pitches.... Stubbs has contact issues, he should never take pitches in the zone becuase he might not hit the other ones in the zone. He isn't an ideal leadoff man and his skill set isn't that of a leadoff man.
    Higher K rates make for poor leadoff hitters? Who's been telling you this stuff? I'd really like to know because it's just plain wrong on both sabermetric and intuitive levels.

    If there was ever a lineup position where K rates matter the least, it's when we know the hitter is going to come to the plate at least once a game without a runner on base. And considering that the hitters immediately preceeding an NL leadoff hitter are #7, #8, and the Pitcher, it's going to be a lot more than once most of the time.

    Without ducks on the pond, any miniscule advantage to BIP Out events versus K's becomes completely moot so it's the perfect place to put a high IsoD/high K rate/Low IsoP hitter if he has enough OBP and enough speed to steal a good number of bases at a high enough rate. And frankly, if we assume Stubbs will steal a good number of bases at a high enough rate to be effective, placing him lower in the order will most likely suppress his value.

    As for the idea that Stubbs shouldn't take any strikes, no player does, will, or should swing at every single Strike he sees because there's a heaping helping of Strikes no one can do anything with. Working deep in counts while seeing a lot of pitches is what helps Stubbs produce a high IsoD in the first place- which also happens to be the only primary offensive skill set he has that may allow him to project as something more than a 5th OF/Defensive Replacement type.
    Last edited by SteelSD; 06-20-2008 at 11:35 PM.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

    "The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

  11. #190
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,054

    Re: Drew Stubbs....

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Higher K rates make for poor leadoff hitters? Who's been telling you this stuff? I'd really like to know because it's just plain wrong on both sabermetric and intuitive levels.

    If there was ever a lineup position where K rates matter the least, it's when we know the hitter is going to come to the plate at least once a game without a runner on base. And considering that the hitters immediately preceeding an NL leadoff hitter are #7, #8, and the Pitcher, it's going to be a lot more than once most of the time.

    Without ducks on the pond, any miniscule advantage to BIP Out events versus K's becomes completely moot so it's the perfect place to put a high IsoD/high K rate/Low IsoP hitter if he has enough OBP and enough speed to steal a good number of bases at a high enough rate. And frankly, if we assume Stubbs will steal a good number of bases at a high enough rate to be effective, placing him lower in the order will most likely suppress his value.

    As for the idea that Stubbs shouldn't take any strikes, no player does, will, or should swing at every single Strike he sees because there's a heaping helping of Strikes no one can do anything with. Working deep in counts while seeing a lot of pitches is what helps Stubbs produce a high IsoD in the first place- which also happens to be the only primary offensive skill set he has that may allow him to project as something more than a 5th OF/Defensive Replacement type.
    Doesn't that last part contradict the 1st part of your argument? Not trying to be a smart-ellic but doesn't the inability to make consistent contact make you a less reliable guy to take alot of pitches and still get on base at a decent clip. Most good leadoff men seem to have the innate ability to foul off pitches with 2 strikes that they can't do anything with. I mean it stands to reason that if you have a problem making contact consistently, you are not going to get on base consistently.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 06-21-2008 at 12:07 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  12. #191
    Member SteelSD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    9,392

    Re: Drew Stubbs....

    Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Doesn't that last part contradict the 1st part of your argument? Not trying to be a smart-ellic but doesn't the inability to make consistent contact make you a less reliable guy to take alot of pitches and still get on base at a decent clip. Most good leadoff men seem to have the innate ability to foul off pitches with 2 strikes that they can't do anything with. I mean it stands to reason that if you have a problem making contact consistently, you are not going to get on base consistently.
    No, the last part doesn't at all contradict the first part. Both you and doug appear to be working off a "template" for a leadoff hitter that doesn't necessarily make for a good leadoff hitter.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

    "The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

  13. #192
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,111

    Re: Drew Stubbs....

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    No, the last part doesn't at all contradict the first part. Both you and doug appear to be working off a "template" for a leadoff hitter that doesn't necessarily make for a good leadoff hitter.
    Stubbs has improved his OBP to a solid 380+. That's a good leadoff hitter statistic. He is displaying solid development this year in that area and in his contact rates. He is striking out less and making more contact.
    And Stubbs is a ballplayer, not a "template". That's a poor description of a person and is revealing of the descriptor's sense of humanity and self-respect.

  14. #193
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,054

    Re: Drew Stubbs....

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    No, the last part doesn't at all contradict the first part. Both you and doug appear to be working off a "template" for a leadoff hitter that doesn't necessarily make for a good leadoff hitter.
    So there is no template in your opinion? Or the actual template for a leadoff hitter doesn't have to be a guy who is able to make consistent contact?

    What in your opinion then constitutes as a good leadoff hitter? Again don't take this as snarky, I just don't understand where you are coming from on this.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  15. #194
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,937

    Re: Drew Stubbs....

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Higher K rates make for poor leadoff hitters? Who's been telling you this stuff? I'd really like to know because it's just plain wrong on both sabermetric and intuitive levels.
    Well how about, no manager in baseball is going to put a high strikeout guy in the leadoff spot because thats just not how they work? Regardless of how we think it should be, its not going to happen unless you have Dusty Baker managing your team.... and well, fortunately we do. That said, Drew Stubbs seems to struggle big time from the leadoff spot for whatever reason and when he is outside of it he seems to hit much better. Some guys just have their quirks about their game and Stubbs seems to be the guy who just can't hit in the leadoff spot.

  16. #195
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,491

    Re: Drew Stubbs....

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Remind me again which league the Sarasota Reds are in? I don't remember them playing the Cubs.

    Yes, he has a .797 OPS right now. That's a great number. However it's being driven by a torrid April. May and June have been beyond bad. .612 for may, .683 (albeit climbing) for June.

    Maybe Stubbs isn't a bust yet, but he's certainly on the bus to bustville.
    The Sarasota Reds are in the FSL. The average age for both hitters and pitchers in the FSL is 23 years old. The average OPS for a center fielder in the FSL is noticeably lower than in MLB. Therefore, relatively, bringing up Stubbs' league makes his performance seem more impressive.

    If you take out Stubbs' worst month and Stubbs' best month this year, his OPS is even higher (.849, according to minorleaguesplits.com), so I don't know what you're trying to accomplish with bringing that up.

    When Stubbs was drafted, like Lincecum, he was regarded as a special player. Part of what was unique about him was his unusually-low contact rate and not letting that prevent him from being a high-quality player. I agree that making less contact decreases the likelihood of being an effective hitter in the Major Leagues, but Stubbs is a very different set of circumstances, and there may have never been anyone to take the path he has been on (in regards to his age, level, etc.) and to continue that to being an above-average Major League player. If he manages to do that, there may never be anyone like him ever again.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25