Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Drew Stubbs....

Re: Drew Stubbs....

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I doubt he's promoted. He's in an awful slump. 2-24 wit h2 BB's and 6 K's. June OPS now at .682

I don't think him facing better pitching in Chatt. is going to help.
    I agree, I was just seeing if anybody had info that could make this already boring Friday a little more interesting
    I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball. -- Pete Rose

2009 Record while in attendance: Terrible

2. Turn Off Ads?

nah and even I'm tired of bashing the guy. I do hop he turns it around enough that he can be packaged for... anything at this point.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    nah and even I'm tired of bashing the guy. I do hop he turns it around enough that he can be packaged for... anything at this point.
    Food for thought...

What's the best return we could expect for Stubbs and Bailey right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Food for thought...

What's the best return we could expect for Stubbs and Bailey right now?
    Bailey still has a lot of value.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Someone is struggling to hit for power in the FSL, contact the CIA because something is out of whack.
    The FSL is not causing that kind of SLG or HR rate suppression you're suggesting. Any hitter who has something resembling power at nearly 24 years old is going to be able to produce solid SLG numbers off minor league pitchers in that league.

This is just your "turf toe" excuse in another form.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Bailey still has a lot of value.
    Only to stay as a Red.

Bailey's probably completely worthless to trade to another team.

As for "a lot" of value, that's only a stretch of the imagination if you consider we control him cheaply for the next 4+ years.

Julio Borbon, the Drew Stubbs of the 2007 draft as some on here have called him, has been promoted to AA after performing well this year in high A ball.

Borbon, a supplemental first round pick in the 2007 MLB Draft, had been hitting .306 with 20 doubles and 36 stolen bases in 66 games with High-A Bakersfield.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Who would call someone drafted in the supplemental first round "the Drew Stubbs of 2007"? That is just dumb. Stubbs was the No. 8 overall pick, big difference between that and the supplemental first round.

Hopefully the Reds learned their lesson here. Never just take a "tools" guy that high in the draft. You need production too. You take chances on tools later in the draft, maybe even as early as the late first round. But not a top 10 pick. That is just ridiculous and the Reds are paying for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Who would call someone drafted in the supplemental first round "the Drew Stubbs of 2007"? That is just dumb. Stubbs was the No. 8 overall pick, big difference between that and the supplemental first round.

Hopefully the Reds learned their lesson here. Never just take a "tools" guy that high in the draft. You need production too. You take chances on tools later in the draft, maybe even as early as the late first round. But not a top 10 pick. That is just ridiculous and the Reds are paying for it.
    The 2006 draft was considered a fairly weak class at the time though, and the thoughts were that in most years, Stubbs would have likely been a 20-30 pick rather than the top 10 guy he was.

from BP on Ellsbury

Now look at Ellsbury’s season to date. After a slow start in which he had intermittent playing time, sharing the Sox center-field job with Coco Crisp, Ellsbury made a case for increased run in the second half of April, when he started 15 of 16 games and hit .310/.423/.466, with nine unintentional walks and just one strikeout in 72 plate appearances. Ellsbury was working deep counts frequently, and despite very little power—four extra-base hits—he was drawing walks.

Ellsbury continued to play well in May, with a respectable .275 batting average and 13/13 BB/K ratio in 113 PA. The uptick in his strikeout rate looked more a function of deep counts than any problems with the bat. In June, however, a disturbing reversal took place. Pitchers stopped walking Ellsbury and started blowing him away. In 102 plate appearances, Ellsbury draw three walks and struck out 20 times—nearly once every five PAs. His batting average went in the opposite direction of his contact rate, slipping to .245 even as he maintaned the identical .299 BABIP he’d had in the season’s first two months.

This is not a coincidence. I think that in the same way hitters who have solid walk rates and no power in the minors often run into trouble at the higher levels, Ellsbury is seeing a critical part of his game disappear in the majors as pitchers recognize that he can’t hurt them. While Ellsbury does have some pull power to right, he also tends to hit the ball on the ground that way, and he does not have a natural uppercut. The natural thing to do is to pound the strike zone and make Ellsbury swing the bat. While he has sustained his success when he makes contact, he has found himself hitting behind in the count more, generating fewer walks and many, many more strikeouts
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post

I just said that because the Reds were linked to him in the 2007 draft at the 15th pick and people made post like these...

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    1. Weiters
    2. Dominguez
    3. Heyward
    4. Detweiler
    5. LaPorta
    6. Moustakas
    7. Ahrens
    8. Mesoraco

I want NO part of Julio Borbon, or Drew Stubbs Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Word. No reason to pick another DrewStubbs.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    This is not a coincidence. I think that in the same way hitters who have solid walk rates and no power in the minors often run into trouble at the higher levels, Ellsbury is seeing a critical part of his game disappear in the majors as pitchers recognize that he can’t hurt them. While Ellsbury does have some pull power to right, he also tends to hit the ball on the ground that way, and he does not have a natural uppercut. The natural thing to do is to pound the strike zone and make Ellsbury swing the bat. While he has sustained his success when he makes contact, he has found himself hitting behind in the count more, generating fewer walks and many, many more strikeouts
    Thanks for posting that flyer. It underscores what a lot of us have been saying.

And if this is a problem for Ellsbury, who has good BA skills, imagine the horror show awaiting a guy like Stubbs, who whiffs more in a single season than Ellsbury did in his entire minor career (1,155 PA).
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Only to stay as a Red.

Bailey's probably completely worthless to trade to another team.

As for "a lot" of value, that's only a stretch of the imagination if you consider we control him cheaply for the next 4+ years.
    Don't agree with that at all. He is still very young. I am sure a lot of teams would like to get him in their system.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Don't agree with that at all. He is still very young. I am sure a lot of teams would like to get him in their system.
    Then let's trade him and get something of value that can help us now or within the next 2+ years, b/c I'm not putting money on Bailey helping us in the same timeframe.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The 2006 draft was considered a fairly weak class at the time though, and the thoughts were that in most years, Stubbs would have likely been a 20-30 pick rather than the top 10 guy he was.
    Yeah, but how can you take a guy with your first round pick (a Top 10 pick, no less) who couldn't make consistent contact in college?

In the draft, when in doubt, you take the best college arm available. It's easy to back seat drive today and say Lincecum was the pick. How about Max Scherzer from Mizzou taken after Lincecum? Then, there weren't any college pitchers taken for a while.

We can find a decent hitting OF who plays good defense and can't make contact (heck, we've got one in Corey Patterson). I'd rather gamble and lose on a college pitcher then hope that an OF can learn to hit.

Turn Off Ads?