Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Is Griffey being held out to hit 600 at home?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • No! The Reds would never risk losing games to boost a few thousand ticket sales.

    26 38.81%
  • Yes. Word came from up top he is not to play. And Dusty ain't happy about it.

    4 5.97%
  • Eh, he is in fact sore, but they ain't rushing to put him back in the lineup (wink.)

    35 52.24%
  • Griffey himself want to hit it at home.

    2 2.99%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32

Thread: Is Griffey being held out to hit 600 at home?

  1. #1
    Member Wheelhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,908

    Is Griffey being held out to hit 600 at home?

    I know it's all conjecture, but general soreness, is well, generally lame.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,680

    Re: Is Griffey being held out to hit 600 at home?

    I doubt it, JR doesn't seem the type to do such shenanigans.
    Go Gators!

  4. #3
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Guelph, ON
    Posts
    16,038

    Re: Is Griffey being held out to hit 600 at home?

    I think he's probably been in need of a break for a while now, but the Reds didn't want to sit him at home given his proximity to 600. It's not so much that they're benching him now to avoid hitting #600 on the road but that he pushed himself a bit to try and get it at home and is now paying the price.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  5. #4
    Redsmetz redsmetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Winton Place
    Posts
    11,184

    Re: Is Griffey being held out to hit 600 at home?

    I chose Choice #1, but I think there is some element of truth to #3 (without the winks).
    In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either. - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

    The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

    The Baseball Bookstore

    http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

  6. #5
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,879

    Re: Is Griffey being held out to hit 600 at home?

    Lame eh?

    The man is made out of tissue paper and spit and he still can't sit out a few games in his late 30's without questions.

    Cracks me up.

  7. #6
    Member Wheelhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,908

    Re: Is Griffey being held out to hit 600 at home?

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Lame eh?

    The man is made out of tissue paper and spit and he still can't sit out a few games in his late 30's without questions.

    Cracks me up.
    What do you want with a report like "general soreness." I expect a player in his late 30's to be generally sore every game of the year an need rest on occasion. Why THESE games in a bandbox like Philly? Of course questions will come up...
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,843

    Re: Is Griffey being held out to hit 600 at home?

    I would normally be inclined to say yes, but in this case, no. Griffey hit 500 in STL and has openly said that he doesn't care where he hits it. I take him at face value on that.

  9. #8
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    21,095

    Re: Is Griffey being held out to hit 600 at home?

    I think Jr is legitimately sore. Of course, they aren't being specific. Maybe his legs are a bit sore and they just want to rest him for awhile.

    Dusty did make a comment saying that they hoped by resting him a day or two, it might prevent having to sit Jr for 12 days down the road. Seems to me to be a minor injury and they are playing it cautious. I don't think Dusty would lie about an injury. If Jr was 100%, I doubt Dusty doesn't play him for the sake of some milestone at home.

    Considering how little the Reds have hyped #600, I doubt there is a sinister motive.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  10. #9
    Senor Votto Degenerate39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,917

    Re: Is Griffey being held out to hit 600 at home?

    I'm not sure I would guess that the first option is probably the best option.
    Most Vottomatic Player

  11. #10
    Member jesusfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Grayson, Ky
    Posts
    6,130

    Re: Is Griffey being held out to hit 600 at home?

    Sore? What is that? If I came in and told my high school coach a couple years ago that I couldn't play because I was sore he would laugh at me and tell me to go home... Why is it different for Major league ballplayers? I hear my dad talk about it all the time, Pete Rose or Joe Morgan would've never sat out because of something like this, you think Cal Ripken Jr was ever sore?

    Don't get me wrong, I love Griffey, he is one of my all-time favorite players. However, I do feel there is something else deterring him from not playing (600) and that is a different argument to itself....
    "There is a great man who makes every man feel small. But the real great man is the man who makes every man feel great." G.K Charleston

  12. #11
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,879

    Re: Is Griffey being held out to hit 600 at home?

    Quote Originally Posted by jesusfan View Post
    Sore? What is that? If I came in and told my high school coach a couple years ago that I couldn't play because I was sore he would laugh at me and tell me to go home... Why is it different for Major league ballplayers? I hear my dad talk about it all the time, Pete Rose or Joe Morgan would've never sat out because of something like this, you think Cal Ripken Jr was ever sore?

    Don't get me wrong, I love Griffey, he is one of my all-time favorite players. However, I do feel there is something else deterring him from not playing (600) and that is a different argument to itself....
    He's a 38 year old professional player, and asset and you are using your high school career as a comp?

    Ok.

    Pete Rose and Cal Ripken are anomalies, using them as a barometer for normalcy is a false reality to further your argument.

    Joe Morgan played 21 seasons and topped 150 game exactly 4 times (only once after age 29) for a grand total of 19% of his career, Junior has done that 6 times in his career.

  13. #12
    Tired of talk. Win! Joseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Commonwealth
    Posts
    8,370

    Re: Is Griffey being held out to hit 600 at home?

    IF, and thats a huge ol' IF, but IF he's been held out at all it might be so he can hit it in Florida in front of his family and such.

    I personally think he's nicked up though.

    Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

  14. #13
    Member jesusfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Grayson, Ky
    Posts
    6,130

    Re: Is Griffey being held out to hit 600 at home?

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    He's a 38 year old professional player, and asset and you are using your high school career as a comp?

    Ok.

    Pete Rose and Cal Ripken are anomalies, using them as a barometer for normalcy is a false reality to further your argument.

    Joe Morgan played 21 seasons and topped 150 game exactly 4 times (only once after age 29) for a grand total of 19% of his career, Junior has done that 6 times in his career.
    I agree with everything you just said.... I am simply saying if he is being held out for being hurt, fine... being sore, that's crap... for hitting 600 somewhere else, that is ridiculous!

    I am talking about the fact that he is diagnosed with "soreness". I don't have a clue as to what that means, maybe sitting at one game, but 3??? I don't buy it...
    "There is a great man who makes every man feel small. But the real great man is the man who makes every man feel great." G.K Charleston

  15. #14
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Is Griffey being held out to hit 600 at home?

    Quote Originally Posted by jesusfan View Post
    Sore? What is that? If I came in and told my high school coach a couple years ago that I couldn't play because I was sore he would laugh at me and tell me to go home... Why is it different for Major league ballplayers? I hear my dad talk about it all the time, Pete Rose or Joe Morgan would've never sat out because of something like this, you think Cal Ripken Jr was ever sore?

    Don't get me wrong, I love Griffey, he is one of my all-time favorite players. However, I do feel there is something else deterring him from not playing (600) and that is a different argument to itself....
    And I doubt Griffey pops greenies like Rose, or Morgan, and possibly Ripken did.

    It's amazing what chemicals can do to keep you in the lineup.

  16. #15
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,417

    Re: Is Griffey being held out to hit 600 at home?

    Considering the fact he was pinch run for by Bronson Arroyo, I'm going to go ahead and believe he is really sore.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25